Europa Universalis IV

Soldato
You can disband the HRE, but you need to occupy the capital of of the HRE emperor and all of the electors (or have electors as vassals).

I think if you form the Netherlands you actually join the HRE properly, which means you can fight better within the HRE itself without calling in the emperor each time.

If you join the league wars on the protestant side, you can make protestant the dominant faith, this normally screws up Austria quite a bit who typically stay catholic. You can even flip to protestant yourself which has some good bonuses too compared with the papacy.

England kind of suck as an ally actually, they rarely bring troops to the mainland, tbh they are probably a good expansion route for you in terms of taking land outside of France/HRE. London in particular is a centre of trade in the English Channel and will give you a nice trading boost.

Soldato
Do I have to be invited in to the HRE?

I've actually just chosen the papacy side in the reformation Wars :o so that's the Protestant thing out the window.

I took advantage of Burgundy distraction to annex Flanders so I own most the channel coast now. I have my first colony growing in North America (so I can send on trade to North Sea>Channel) I'm back allied with England again but got DK on side, I need some beef behind me as France dislike me due to rivalry with Provance, I really want France onside as they are snowballing hugely.

Can I ditch Prov as a rival and choose someone else solely for the benefit of my French relations?

Soldato
If your capital is in the HRE "territory" then you are in the HRE by definition, which also means that by proxy you will be defended from France by the emperor of the HRE, which is usually Austria.

By taking the decision to form the Netherlands, I think it adds you to the HRE as your capital moves, and the new capital is in the HRE lands.

You can change your rivals, but you have to wait for a period of time before you can do it. You can also just outgrow them so they can't be your rivals anymore.

Soldato
Ah right, cheers! I'll have to work on the Netherlands then as I get a suspicion France/Prov are going to smash me soon. They are snowballing and there's no real mainland European powers apart from the Empire to stop them as England have been garbage. I think if I got onside with the Empire and DK I would be able to stand my own though.

Soldato
I don't know if you noticed as well, but if you take HRE land then it's even more aggressive expansion than usual. So being in the empire will also protect you from losing too much land if you lose a war.

Soldato
Woooo I'm proper chuffed. Formed Netherlands after some (very) patient waiting for the right alliances to land grab, my first colony is up and running who I'm trying to be more pro active in managing than my last game and I've now locked down Central Europe in alliances with Austria, Cologne (who have hugely grown) Brunswick and Denmark (who have snowballed and carry Sweden with them)

I'm tempted to continue to grow my colony further but don't want to lose it and I have the chance to push further south in Europe with all the Causis I got granted through forming Netherlands, probably need to work on my trade out of Canada area as well to push it into North Sea.

Soldato
I have just had the Dutch government change thing pop up. I think the options are republic / republic with traces of monarchy and monarchy.

Reading around I can't find advice for the best to take? Any Advice from any here?

Soldato
I like the Dutch Republic (aka the republic with traces of monarchy). Essentially you can either bring in a ruler every 4 years like a republic, or if you get a good ruler push it to the monarchist side and have the ruler for life.

Soldato
Is there an expansion/planned expansion that lets you break others it mess with others diplomatic relationships? Also is there one that lets you attempt to control vassals in other ways than just lowering tariffs, bribing or mega stacikimg your forces? I'm loving it but I find it weird you just have to tolerate other diplomatic relationships.

Just hit 1700 in my Dutch game I own every Netherlands core (got my hands on 2 off France and we now loathe each other :p) got essentially Canada as my colony and got colonies in what is South Africa and Ivory Coast. I was bringing in daft money but had a few skirmishes so upgraded my army and have a standing force all the time of about 90k. Decent alliances right now but I can see it kicking off soon as pretty much everyone left in Europe is a large power with nowhere left to expand.

Soldato
Missing some key ones potentially then :)

You probably want art of war and rights of man I reckon, at least.

one of the best things in art of war is that you can transfer occupation of provinces to/from vassals, really really useful.

Good guide here which I largely agree with too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/5et9si/which_dlcs_should_i_get_a_help_for_people_new_to/

The estates/cossacks one is good too, Mandate of Heaven is still quite new and could be pricier as a result.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers. I'll pick a few more up over the next few month.

Started my first ironman campaign now I feel I kind of have a grip. Went Ming Dynasty and only a short while in but finding them remarkably easy. Biggest issue I'm having is I'm taking territory so fast I can't keep up with admin to core and still develop technology :p

Soldato
Mandate of Heaven changes Ming a lot, you basically have an HRE style thing over in China.

Watch out for the actual Mandate if you don't have that enabled, Ming used to crumble a lot to rebels when an average or weak claim heir came into power.

Soldato
Mandate of Heaven changes Ming a lot, you basically have an HRE style thing over in China.

Watch out for the actual Mandate if you don't have that enabled, Ming used to crumble a lot to rebels when an average or weak claim heir came into power.

Luckily I've had strong heirs so far but I'll keep an eye out.

What's the deal with technology on Ming? Specifically when it comes to embracing institutions?

Seems insanely slow from what I work out it's because I'm not a western power?

What does Ironman actually involve?

Only auto saves, have to have that lucky nation bull carp on and it lets you get achievements.

Soldato
Most of the institutions spawn over in Europe. You can develop a province to embrace it in that province, and then it will spread to the others nearby.

I normally have to develop a province for renaissance, and again for printing press. Sometimes I also throw in the development for the colonialism as well.

Cheaper to develop farmlands/grasslands, and/or centers of trade. Normally try to ensure whatever I develop has around 14-18 development to begin with as well.

As ming your income should be good which means you can afford more advisers as well.

Soldato
Perhaps a derp moment but what do you mean when you say development? The combined tax/man/prof scores on acprovince?

I'm doing well (I think) I'm first in score, took loads of territory and have a few choices next. Whether to tackle India, crush Japan as they are uninified, take Brunei etc or remove the rest of the northern hordes.

When you say establish a territory to get renaissance etc? Is that costing up to the Europeans or something?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the development is listed at the top of the province, it's the combined total of the three tax/prod/manpower things.

It's a bit of a pain, but you do benefit long term from the extra development, especially if you are a smaller nation.

In the institutions section of whatever province you are developing, you can see it will embrace the institution a little more each time you develop it further. You probably need to go from 14-18 right up to mid 30's to get it fully established though.

Back
Top Bottom