Europa Universalis IV

Soldato
I love this game but how is it that the computer just spanks out non stop armies in wars and are constantly at war? Do they just pile into absurd debt and hire a load of mercs?

Ive had some really successful games (Brandenburg, England, france and ottoman) but I find it frustrating a lot of the time as wars seem to be a real struggle.

I haven't encountered that atm, neither against Portugal nor against Morocco, on my limited time with the game.

When you win a battle, you do not destroy the enemy army, they run away. There is some mechanic to catch them and destroy them though.
After that if they have the money, which usually the AI has because it doesn't overspent on buildings etc, late game they will be able to hire mercs. Just go for conquering all their areas and they won be able to raise armies.

Associate
I often find that is the AI's default stance to larger wars, they'll take out loans to throw heaps of money at the problem by hiring mercs until they either start gaining ground or suffer too much war exhaustion and think about caving.
Commonwealth is one of the worst nations for it, I've seen them take insane amounts of loans to have a full 200k army of mercenaries just so you don't carpet bomb their land with troops.
There is some mechanic to catch them and destroy them though.
If you catch an army before the start of a new month when their morale ticks back up a little, you'll almost always instantly wipe them without a battle.

Soldato
It's probably me being overalls cautious on my funds (hate ever having loans) I just find the numbers they toss into wars seems to far outweigh what they should be able to field.

Soldato
Getting some loans isn't the end of the world, you have some tools to get more cash and gaining more territory will eventually lead to a better economy.

You can:

Use war taxes, especially early on with the discovery era free war taxes
Debase currency for corruption
Loot provinces
Separately peace out enemy allies for war reparations and/or cash.

I quite often find myself taking loans to win wars, especially if you get bad events pop up that require you to spend some cash.

Don't forget to delete forts if you can't afford them.

Man of Honour
I've been playing it again since adding Rule Britannia. Notched up a fair few hours now, but still learning. Each DLC adds new features too, so there is a constant learning curve. There is a new expansion coming out soon too, which concentrates on India and trade company mechanics amongst other things.

The AI does run out of money and it does run out of men, just like a human player. You just might not notice it. There are various ways the AI can collect both however, using the same things the player can. For example, if you have the DLC, you can use your estates to good effect. Some offer extra manpower; some offer extra money, at a cost of course. So when you run out of men, which happens quite a lot as a smaller player, you need to rely on mercs, or collect from your estates, or both. It might seem like the AI is constantly at war - sometimes they get dragged in to wars via alliances. Don't forget, the AI may join the war but if it is running low on manpower it may not necessarily be active in the war. The idea groups help a lot with these things too. But its a slow burner - unless you are very good/lucky, you need to play the game slowly to reap the rewards.

Soldato
Getting some loans isn't the end of the world, you have some tools to get more cash and gaining more territory will eventually lead to a better economy.

You can:

Use war taxes, especially early on with the discovery era free war taxes
Debase currency for corruption
Loot provinces
Separately peace out enemy allies for war reparations and/or cash.

I quite often find myself taking loans to win wars, especially if you get bad events pop up that require you to spend some cash.

Don't forget to delete forts if you can't afford them.

Are the top 3 from one of the DLC? I have a few DLC's but I don't ever recall seeing the first three options.

Associate
I believe you don't need any of the DLC to do those.

Looting a province is simply done by sitting uncontested troops on their land, if you look at the province interface you can see an indicator in the top right of the window with a green bar next to a treasure chest. Each month your troops are on their land and not in combat the bar will lower as you're looting the land.

War taxes is on the Economy window, bottom left corner there's a button to raise them.

On the same Economy window, there should be a slider for "Root Out Corruption" which is how your control debasing the currency.

Soldato
Going to have check all that out as I don't see estates, war taxes or currency devaluation when I log in (I'm almost certain but I will double check)

Edit: rights of man for currency devaluation, Cossacks for estates. Haven't seen anything about war taxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
The war tax option is there now.

I had Women in History, Conquest of Paradise and common Sense.

Added Cossacks and Rights of Man.

Appreciate they are all unique but is there an expansion I'm really missing a lot with not having? Also, the favour system from whichever expansion added that is weird after being used to the games base system.

Soldato
They normally all brought something to the table.

Art of war used to be pretty mandatory as it let you transfer occupation during war. Unsure if this is still as mandatory or not.

Mandate of heaven gives the ages mechanic which i quite like and would recommend for that alone.

You probably don't need res publica as they added the monarch point focus mechanic to the common sense dlc.

Man of Honour
It lets you send light ships out on missions. Unless I'm mistaken, the light ships on privateer mode disrupt the AI's trade node income. However, if you use protect trade with your light ships it adds to your merchants income directly and you see more or less instant results. Very worth doing. I once sent out about 30 light ships in one mission to protect trade on one of my routes and my merchants income went from about 2 ducats to over 10.

Associate
Soldato
It's probably me being overalls cautious on my funds (hate ever having loans) I just find the numbers they toss into wars seems to far outweigh what they should be able to field.

They absolutely do get into massive debt over wars. You'll be able to see this from time to time with your allies refusing calls to arms because they are over 1000 ducats in debt. They do tend to field a lot of mercenaries, especially later in game, or otherwise just exhaust all their manpower constantly in building new troops (or just sitting 120k on a high-attrition province, like the Ottomans do). Be aware also that there is a mechanic called revanchism which gives them bonuses to income and manpower recovery when someone peaces out with them, relative to the war score used in the peace deal, so if they are losing wars they will get those bonuses to help them bounce back a bit faster - that is probably adding to what you are seeing (as a side note, if you get into a war with someone you want territory from but aren't in a position to take it due to overextension, wiping out all of their units, draining their manpower and then taking a white peace - especially after getting them to 20 war exhaustion - will make the next war child's play for you).

As stated above, loans aren't a bad thing as long as you can keep on top of them. As well as that, you can consolidate loans later on as your income increases, which helps to keep your finances in better order.

Also don't be afraid to spend a bit if you get into a war with a rich opponent, since you can usually take a huge chunk of their money in the peace deal. Signing a separate peace with all of their allies can also net you some considerable funds to cover what you end up spending on territorial gains.

Soldato
Had a Russia game going, early game went well but I couldn't get any allies and I had the commonwealth blob wailing on me all the time. Resisted them 3 times but fourth time I helped Sweden win independence, massive debt, no troops left then they dived me and Sweden refused to Dec on my behalf the cowardly **** bags and that was that.

Packed in as I was screwed as lost over 10 territories (with 3 of my best in that) Novorgod who I had under a subject rebelled, few other rebellion and I couldn't respond at all :(

Back
Top Bottom