Europa Universalis IV

Soldato
Yeh i'm just making it all up as I go along. I have no idea if the decisons I make in game are the right ones. Not really sure what i'm supposed to be doing with trade or with all my administrative/diplomatic/military power points.

#yolo?

As Portugal you are reasonably isolated, so if you're happy to be friendly with Spain then you can just stay on their good side and expand elsewhere outside of Europe.

With your monarch points you should stay up to speed on the main tech branches, in particular military as it unlocks better units and military tactics. For the others spend them on the idea groups, and if you have spare ones then spend on upgrading provinces to give better gold etc.

Permabanned
I wouldn't recommend of playing anybody but the Ottomans for my first play through. There's more than enough to learn playing them let a lone colonizing the New World.

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend of playing anybody but the Ottomans for my first play through. There's more than enough to learn playing them let a lone colonizing the New World.

Ottomans is very good at introducing you to the war mechanics too, because you have some easy neighbours to deal with, and then you can expand out centrally which is nice.

Soldato
I've been watching that playlist by Quill, I think i'm about 4 or 5 videos into it!

For my first campaign i'm playing as Portugal. Its around 1504 and I have Portugal and the west coast of morocco! I have no idea if i'm doing well or not.

Check top right hand corner.

Or, Ledger>Score Comparison.

Portugal? You need exploration ideas first then probably expansion.

Stay welded to Castile/Spain.

Conquer the New World!!!

Associate
I still play EUIV a ton, the game is by far my most played game.
Really looking forward to the Mandate of Heaven expansion, being able to automate some of my diplomatic activities while at war will be a huge use for me as I often forget to even think about maintaining relationships while concentrating on fending off a coalition. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more love for the new world continents in the next expansion... and maybe a rethink about zone of control and how forts work (or rather how easily they get exploited).

Man of Honour
I'm just getting back into it myself after a long time away. There have been a lot of little improvements and along with the DLC I have bought already it's like a different game. I've pre-ordered MOH and the content pack, as the Eastern factions lack a little love if you ask me. Looking forward to trying them for the first time.

Soldato
Just started playing this after owning it for over a year. I find it hugely frustrating!

Not just sure if it takes a while for everything to get going but I find it impossible to make money, battles are impossible to win and almost whatever you do tends to land you in a war almost immediately with factions belting around with 25k or more troops when I can't really even field more than 14k without an economic meltdown.

The gold thing I find most frustrating. I'm following all the tips around diverting trade and using my ships to boost my slice of the pie I'm taking but even then I'm pulling in 2-3 gold unless I mothball my fleets. If I get up to 4-5 gold (which is best I've ever managed) if I then end up in a war it nosedives to negative figures especially if I try to improve my forces.

I was able to get the technology to build a market but it was 600g which I would never see without about 10 years of doing nothing but sit and save. Then in general technology and idea development just seems so slow.

Am I missing something fundamental or do you have to accept 50 years of in game tedium and surviving before stuff starts happening?

I really want to like this game as the complexity seems brilliant but at the moment I'm losing the will to play much more.

Soldato
Who are you playing as? Portugal is usually recommended as a starting nation as they're well-positioned for you to learn the trade, colonisation, and development mechanics without worrying about aggressive neighbours. My first run as Portgual I don't think I fought a war in Europe until the 18th Century.

It will take a while for you to build up a decent income. Fleets are very expensive to build and maintain early on so apart from a few light ships to protect trade (it will tell you whether they earn you more than their maintenance cost) just have them mothballed. The same goes for forts: unless you're expecting a war, mothball. Also, don't have more than a couple of those expensive cavalry units per stack, unless you're playing as a horde.

Most likely you will have negative monthly income when you're at war - that's normal. Just make sure you have a bit saved up and if in doubt, borrow.

Soldato
Just started playing this after owning it for over a year. I find it hugely frustrating!

Not just sure if it takes a while for everything to get going but I find it impossible to make money, battles are impossible to win and almost whatever you do tends to land you in a war almost immediately with factions belting around with 25k or more troops when I can't really even field more than 14k without an economic meltdown.

The gold thing I find most frustrating. I'm following all the tips around diverting trade and using my ships to boost my slice of the pie I'm taking but even then I'm pulling in 2-3 gold unless I mothball my fleets. If I get up to 4-5 gold (which is best I've ever managed) if I then end up in a war it nosedives to negative figures especially if I try to improve my forces.

I was able to get the technology to build a market but it was 600g which I would never see without about 10 years of doing nothing but sit and save. Then in general technology and idea development just seems so slow.

Am I missing something fundamental or do you have to accept 50 years of in game tedium and surviving before stuff starts happening?

I really want to like this game as the complexity seems brilliant but at the moment I'm losing the will to play much more.

Making money is easier as certain countries/nations, but your economy is scaled somewhat to your size. You can't field huge armies as a small nation and expect to make money, if playing aggressively you may even find you are taking loans and debasing currency to keep going.

However if you are in a war with a few countries and winning decisively, you can peace them out separately for cash and/or war reparations (10% of their income for 10 years). You can also take money from the Burgher estate once every 10 years if you have the right DLC. This scales with income.

Early game don't bother with fleets too much unless you need them to get about, I find they can often be a liability, and when you are at war they can't always operate anyway, or they get destroyed because you forgot to send them home before declaring war.

For general cash flow, lower army maintenance to nothing or almost nothing during peacetime. Mothball your "non" light ships, the ones that don't deal in trade power if you have them. Only raise maintenance if you are about to declare war or you have rebellions over 80% that are about to pop.

If you have the Institutions in your game like Renaissance etc, you can also spend monarch points to develop them, so you can even start the game as a small OPM (one province minor) and develop your single province to have 35-40 development after the Renaissance triggers beyond 1450, which can obviously help a lot with your income and manpower base.

When taking provinces in wars, after coring and making them states, the high development ones should potentially also have autonomy lowered to increase their value to you, probably have to deal with a rebellion at some point but usually worth it if you sit your troops on it defensively first.

For trade in general, to get the best trade power in the trade nodes you want to own as many provinces as possible in that trade node, especially the "centers of trade". You can see them in the Trade map mode. The light ships are often better placed in other lucrative trade nodes where you are collecting trade.

The buildings that increase your income actually normally cost around 100 gold each for the basic ones, going up higher. Were you looking at the Manufactories? They are more expensive/late game buildings.

For support try and get at least 1-3 allies, early game, you can get away with less later, but the end game is to get a good alliance with a major power if you are small. Especially one that is not situated where you want to expand.

Soldato

Who are you playing as?

You need to start off playing a strongish nation with a good start position. Make money? Try playing in Asia as Malacca, Pasai or Majapahit. I'd suggest Malacca at the moment as being a trib state of Ming provides you with some nice bonuses as the game progresses. Early on when not at war, lower army maintenance. Don't build cavalry until you can afford them.

It does take time to get your economy going, but you have to be patient and invest and make sure you're focussed on picking up valuable trading hubs, if you play Malacca right you'll be rolling in it before long, make sure you take exploration and expansion ideas. It really shouldn't take too long to make your self secure in your region with the right alliances, the right wars and the right annexations. Ally 2 of Brunei, Majapahit, and Pasia and take the other one out, then later take the other two out one at a time. Later get the Spice Islands of Tidore and Ternate.

The game is slow there's no doubt it, but you can speed up during slow periods, give yourself achievable objectives and build gradually.

Soldato
Thanks all.

I was playing as Castille

One point above I noted;

If you have the Institutions in your game like Renaissance etc, you can also spend monarch points to develop them, so you can even start the game as a small OPM (one province minor) and develop your single province to have 35-40 development after the Renaissance triggers beyond 1450, which can obviously help a lot with your income and manpower base.

What do you mean about spending monarch points?

I'll take onboard the points about getting rid of cavalry.

Regards to light fleets am I better standing them on trade hub or elsewhere to push more trade?

Soldato
Monarch points are the admin, diplo, and military points you use to get ideas etc. You can also use them to upgrade provinces - each province has a base tax, production, and manpower rating, which combined make up its total development. Developing a province by increasing these ratings gives benefits based on the type of upgrade (e.g. military gives more manpower) and it will also contribute to the spread of institutions. The latter aspect is particularly useful if you're playing as a non-European nation and you don't want to wait for e.g. the Renaissance to spread to you naturally, but as Castille it shouldn't be something to worry about. Developing a province's tax or production rating can boost your income rather nicely, though, particularly in gold producing provinces.

I think you need the Common Sense DLC to develop provinces.

Soldato
So got a good game off the ground with Portugal. About 15 years in and solid making 8 gold a turn and took another territory off Morocco to settle things down there.

But annoyed as I got the wrong exploration policy so I have a settler but need the one with "new world" so I'm probable another 15 years if not more away from that so kind of tempted to restart.

Is there any way I can convert Sunni territories to Catholicism is that just impossible as it's creating issues in my two North African territories.

Cheers!

Associate
So got a good game off the ground with Portugal. About 15 years in and solid making 8 gold a turn and took another territory off Morocco to settle things down there.

But annoyed as I got the wrong exploration policy so I have a settler but need the one with "new world" so I'm probable another 15 years if not more away from that so kind of tempted to restart.

Is there any way I can convert Sunni territories to Catholicism is that just impossible as it's creating issues in my two North African territories.

Cheers!

You should check out Arumba's channel on YouTube ... he has an excellent series on teaching a newcomer to EU4. I should warn it is lengthy, but once you've watched all the episodes you should be familiar with most of the concepts & strategies within the game.
He plays as Scotland in the series by the way ... just to help you find the right playlist. He does a lot of EU4 !

Soldato

Cheers!

You can abandon an idea group by clicking the red X top right corner of it, you get back some of the points as well. With a decent income to hire the advisors, and the national focus switching thing (it does need one of the DLC's to allow it) you can set the focus to whatever type of points you need the most.

You probably don't need to min/max as Portugal so not sure I would restart on that basis alone.

The general thought train is that converting does get a bit easier later on, as some of the missionary strength decisions unlock at later tech levels. The Sunni ones are hard to convert at the start of the game. If you are planning to take a lot of non-primary religion provinces, then it's a good idea to take Religious Ideas early on as well. This also opens up the "Deus Vult" CB for permanent reasons to attack bordering heretic nations. If you don't want to convert too much then Humanist ideas will make you more tolerant towards them instead and generally reduces revolt risk. If you intend to go into Africa a lot I would definitely take Religious ideas. If you intend to expand into Europe instead you're probably fine without them.

Back
Top Bottom