** European League Thread (Spain/Germany/France etc) **

Caporegime
Read some ridiculous article last week that Bayern had already won the league because Dortmund lost their first game... idiot. Bayern managed to draw so are only 5th in the league, Leverkusen being top.

Eibar, the team that needed to raise a couple of mil after getting promoted just to be allowed into La Liga managed to win their first game against Sociedad last week and though 2-0 down early against ATletico scored a great goal and well, have currently held on till the 91st minute at 2-1, unlikely to get the equaliser but still a great result against the reigning champions. I suspect Eibar's season will start with some early enthusiasm and descend into disaster are some stage, tiny budget, few players, low wages, tiny revenue. But I'd like to see them stay up and great to see them at least have a couple of games not being embarrassed.

Caporegime
lol at the Real vs Sociedad game, insane.

Sociedad started horrendously 2 early goals conceded and were doing a pretty good impression of 11 people who had never met each other.... somehow it's back to 2-2. To good goals from Sociedad, but even so they've had limited chances and Real have walked through their defence over and over, how it wasn't 5+ nil by now I don't know.

Caporegime
This is why I love Sociedad, not because of Vela, though I like him as a player a lot, but because somehow a ridiculous portion of their games are like this. Great offence and iffy defence is a great combination :p

Soldato
Time for a last minute Falcao bid?

I can only think that they look at his build up play as being worth keeping to feed in the lieks of Bale and Ronaldo, but i still don't see it, he's nothing of note that an average striker wouldn't.

Still, forward play aside, they're shocking in defense, Pepe is dire. Where the hell is Varane? he looked class.

Caporegime
I think they'll be looking for defenders after this game. Never rated Marcelo or Coentrao in the slightest, Pepe and Ramos are... inconsistent shall we say and it's a brave man who sticks with Casillas after how many screw ups he's made in the past 3 years, brave man indeed.

There is also something that people are forgetting, Sociedad have had loads of attacks now... with alonso on the pitch at least 15 attacks would have been nullified by cynical fouls :p

Seriously though, he may be inept in how he does it but Alonso's fouling stopped so many dangerous attacks and let them get the defence set.

I don't really rate Ramos or Pepe in general defending but at set pieces Ramos is a beast, as is Ronaldo. They are so much better defending set pieces and Alonso provided them with, for that defence, far less danger by giving away so many free kicks.

Caporegime
Benzema still completely pants.

He's ****, always has been. I fail to see what he offers, he's slow, can't link up play, can't hold it up....can't pass, looks utterly impotent.

All that money they've spent yet Benzema still gets a game.

Don't even get me started on Pepe, it's criminal how he's made a career out of football.

Caporegime
I can only think that they look at his build up play as being worth keeping to feed in the lieks of Bale and Ronaldo, but i still don't see it, he's nothing of note that an average striker wouldn't.

Still, forward play aside, they're shocking in defense, Pepe is dire. Where the hell is Varane? he looked class.

Varane did make a few mistakes and hasn't looked as good lately but that is natural he had a bad injury and needs a run of games to get to top form again. He really was amazing in his break out year under Mourinho where Pepe couldn't get in the team. He'll help but I really wasn't joking with the above post, Alonso's fouling stopped so many dangerous attacks.

That back four is awful dealing with fluid attacks, they are over zealous, over commit, foul a hell of a lot and are walking red card/penalty style defenders.

It's not like they are doing brilliantly from set pieces today, but they've been rattled since Sociedad grabbed their first goal and pretty awful since the equaliser.

Back
Top Bottom