Ever check your Pollen Filter?

Well you're breathing the air that passes through that crap, so may as well make it as clean as possible.

The problem is that 'opening a window' is relatively fresh air, whilst the stuff harbouring in a filter could be fungal, legionnaires or just general crap. It will prevent most of it, but an old deteriorated filter is probably as much use as a chocolate fireguard in a lava flow.

On some Alfa's, the original pollen filter is fitted when the car is still apart. Replacements simply can't be fitted in the same way, so the service part is two filters of half the size, which are slotted in from one side.

I know of many people who have come to replace the filter on a car which is several years old (this usually happens when it gets moved outside the main dealer network, so we're talking 3 or 4 years old at least) and found that the one in place is clearly the original.

turned the blowers on today on my way to work, didn't smell the best, so might do this, It hasn't been changed sinced we've owned the car (6-7years) not sure if its been done before that either.

Easy enough to get to in the Accord so might do it on the weekend.

This thread has reminded me to ask a question.

is it worth paying a bit more for a carbon filter?

The price difference is about a few £ on my car. 2005 Seat Ibiza.

This thread has reminded me to ask a question.

is it worth paying a bit more for a carbon filter?

The price difference is about a few £ on my car. 2005 Seat Ibiza.

The carbon in filters will 'saturate' after some point and stop functioning in terms of odour elimination, on a small filter I imagine it would be fairly rapid, I guess it depends on the price difference.. if its a lot, your probably better off replacing a regular filter slightly more often.

Both carbon and non carbon filters will still filter air just the same according to how clogged up with debris they are, and how free flowing they are.

Last edited:
Did mine this week, old one wasn't too bad just had a few leaves stuck to it.

Biggest laugh was the box saying the estimated time to change was 15 minutes, took about 30 seconds.

Lucky you. My dash, glovebox & fusebox have to come apart to get to mine.

Looks like a bit of hassle on my Mazda 3 too. Why do they make these consumable items so difficult to change sometimes? It's really quite baffling. Reminds of the whole "remove the front wheel/bumper" thing on Renaults to change a headlight bulb.

Lucky you. My dash, glovebox & fusebox have to come apart to get to mine.

Same on my Zafira, have to remove a chunk of trim, the entire glovebox, and unbolt a bar of metal to get to the pollen filter.

Had to replace my glovebox recently, so took the opportunity to replace the pollen filter at the same time, it clearly had never been done before as it was absolutely caked in filth.

Looks like a bit of hassle on my Mazda 3 too. Why do they make these consumable items so difficult to change sometimes? It's really quite baffling. Reminds of the whole "remove the front wheel/bumper" thing on Renaults to change a headlight bulb.

It would be perfectly possible to "Engineer" a modern vehicle such that a standard annual service might take no more than 30 mins. (Or even less)

The trouble is doing so would present the manufacturers dealership network with a problem. They would have to be able to charge £300/hour in order to actually make a living!

(Extended servicing is already causing problems!)

Obviously, this is unlikely to fly, so manufacturers have to engineer in time consuming operations.

(EG, Plastic under-shields. When these first started to be fitted, Manufactures would provide little trap doors so that sump plugs and oil filters could be accessed without having to remove them. this hardly ever happens today! similarly, the Mk2 Caveler was designed so that the clutch could be replaced without having to split the engine/gearbox. The Mk3 however no longer had this feature. This change was (according to a clutch sales rep I spoke to at the time, LUK I think) in response from fast fit clutch places complaining that this made the job TOO fast and that they could no longer make money out of the job! And so on!)

Back
Top Bottom