• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
What is this wizardy?! Who's the company that have done the internet?

http://www.resqnet.co.uk/

:eek:

Totally forgot about this incredible build! Great work man, and those net speeds are awesome :D

Thanks! I can get 40Mb down, 40Mb up if the trees were cut down according to the engineer that undertook the site survey.

I've considered asking the old lady opposite if she minds me taking 1 or 2 trees down, but it might sound like a stupid request and we've been getting along well, so I don't want to **** on her chips as she's house proud.

Permabanned
http://www.resqnet.co.uk/

Thanks! I can get 40Mb down, 40Mb up if the trees were cut down according to the engineer that undertook the site survey.

I've considered asking the old lady opposite if she minds me taking 1 or 2 trees down, but it might sound like a stupid request and we've been getting along well, so I don't want to **** on her chips as she's house proud.

Oh wow I'm using that phrase in future :D:D:D

That's actually faster than the net I get with TalkTalk, is it reliable?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Oh wow I'm using that phrase in future :D:D:D

That's actually faster than the net I get with TalkTalk, is it reliable?
Yeah it's been very reliable. The only major outage as been as a result of a lightning strike to the mast that feeds me.

Took out their switching gear, access point and did all the cabling! In fairness they sorted it in 3 or 4 days.

Just go hammer some rusty nails into the trees in the middle of the night :D

I may or may not have done this already ;)

Associate
Awesome stuff, I had no idea these kind of wireless systems were available in the residential market.

Did you have the equivalent of a massive digital spring clean? 12.5 -> 2TB is quite a reduction!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Awesome stuff, I had no idea these kind of wireless systems were available in the residential market.

Did you have the equivalent of a massive digital spring clean? 12.5 -> 2TB is quite a reduction!
Neither did I. Like I said, I only found out about it through my parents when they had a letter from the councillor regarding funded broadband in their village.

I'm not sure what the connection would be like with total line of sight but I suspect it could achieve well over 100Mb. My parents get their signal from a mast on Morriston hospital, and when they first installed the antenna they were getting 60Mb from over 2km away :eek:

Regarding the downgrade in storage.. I had all my DVDs and Blurays on the NAS, but I just found that I was playing films from the disc more than firing up the media centre, and when someone came along and offered to buy the NAS for a reasonable price I couldn't say no.

I used the money to build a new water cooled PC, which I use to do wedding photography, so it turned from an expense in to an asset. Or that's what I told the wife when it all arrived ;)

EVH you make a lot of people jealous! Great work.

Thanks. I hope to post pictures of the outside when the weather clears up. We've done a lot since the last post, so I promise not to bump the thread without some form of update.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
EVH, great build log. It caught my interest as I'm from Swansea also.

We live about 2 miles apart from one and other. :p

Nice to finally see someone else on here from Swansea :cool:

4KleIjK.jpg

yuScv7T.jpg

This is the latest shot I have of the outside, as it's still hammering down, but it gives you a pretty good idea of the finished article.

The drive is tarmac'd, the side wall has been undercoated and the garden has been started. I haven't stained the rear of the driveway fence because of the watercourse, but it is on my "To do, but probably never will" list.

HyevUaL.jpg

I originally wanted to dump a load of soil in the garden and seed it myself (as shown here), but it turns out my brother knew a guy that runs a turf company, so we ended up cheating!

I keep telling my house-proud neighbour, it's turf that was ripped up after Wimbledon finished :D

Associate
I'm just around the corner, near the DVLA and the crematorium.

You're in a nice location there, tucked away from it all.

And the house is really looking good, inside and out.

We bought our house with the intention of just moving in and doing the odd job to get it to our requirements. But after seeing what you have done with all the personal touches you've been able to do to your house. It kind of makes me wish, that we'd built our own now. :)

Associate
What's the go here with the AVR then? I assume you not using the HDMI ins on the back of it to connect PS3, Sky etc... if this is the case how exactly are the sources playing through the 7.1 speakers?

Also, is it possible to have watch things from the Media Centre on different TV's? If so how is this wired up?

Sorry if the questions seems a bit daft, trying to figure it all out. :)

Soldato
If you say so I did look into it using engerysavingtrust site.

it sounds like you didn't look into the parts because yes the panels degrade but there is other parts to the kit which have issues with age.

your just acting like a d**k because someone disagrees with you but that is the way people are at times when someone states about one of there purchases.
All electronics degrade but nothing like you seem to think.
Why do you think solar parks keep popping up... cheap to maintain.
I should know as I build and maintain them lol. 5MW of solar power mmmmmm

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
What's the go here with the AVR then? I assume you not using the HDMI ins on the back of it to connect PS3, Sky etc... if this is the case how exactly are the sources playing through the 7.1 speakers?

Also, is it possible to have watch things from the Media Centre on different TV's? If so how is this wired up?

Sorry if the questions seems a bit daft, trying to figure it all out. :)

Every source is wired to the amp via HDMI, and the output of the amp is transmitted to the TV over cat6, with HDMI baluns on the end of the run.

Amp ---> HDMI balun out ---> Cat 6 ---> HDMI balun in ---> TV

This means that I can use the amp to play any source as normal, as the cat6 is just a medium that carries the HDMI signal.

I need to buy a HDMI matrix, which will allow me to pipe a different source to each room (£3000-£5000 for good ones) but I could opt to use a regular HDMI splitter (£200-£500) if I just wanted to view the same source on every TV.

At the moment the living room is the only room able to receive all inputs, with other TVs just using a coax feed for sky etc. It's one of those things that I still need to do, but haven't really needed to sort. I could always unplug the feed to the living room from the patch panel and switch it to another room, manually if I wanted.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad a mod has moved the thread now too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Now, the good bit. Installing the rack.

img1493n.jpg

I went for the biggest rack I could fit under the stairs as I knew anything smaller would look silly, and I'd run out of room and end up with 2, which wouldn't go down well. It's a 39U rack, 600x600mm. Came on a pallet :D

img1497xw.jpg

img1494.jpg

img1496s.jpg

Almost had a disaster at this stage. When measuring for the maximum height of the rack, I took a measurement from the highest point, (the tallest step, 600mm from the wall) allowing for a tolerance of 25mm above. Unfortunately, I did not take the diagonal fascia of the staircase in to account!! This meant when the rack arrived, what should have been a simple "put wheels on, slide in to position" job, turned in to a "OMG IT DOESN'T FIT!".

Much swearing, head scratching and panic, and the solution was born: take the wheels off and hope that we could slide it under the fascia and in to position. Thankfully it all fits, and the door will open. I have to say I thought I'd dropped the ball on this one though :o

The BT line comes from the road to the front of the house. At this point, there will be a T piece and it will come up and terminate in the form of a grey box on the outside of the house. My internal CAT6 will run out from Node 0 (out the duct that's sunk under the house), up the T piece and in to this grey box.

You can see the blue pull rope in the 4th rack picture, right at the far side. There's a pull rope and a CAT6 cable in that duct for the internal wiring. Basically where the master socket will terminate for the broadband and phones.

A bit of a thread resurrection.....EVH I always liked reading your thread about your house build. Could you tell me where you got your rack from? I'm in the middle of renovating and adapting a bungalow and I need to purchase a network rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom