****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You see the two LED's on the Meter, you can read that with abit of a build using an arduino and some code, then stick an Ethernet shield on for networking the display etc.

Soldato
Sorry for the crap pictures, but here are some final shots of all the stuff.

The system only generated 0.81 yesterday, so this is what's been generated today (9.69).

So that would be 9.69x~41p, £4? Is that right? Presumably you also don't draw off the national grid so you add whatever your energy bill is to the earnings?

Associate
Tip. If you are ever doing any form of wiring get yourself a basic tester. It will pay for itself in minutes, and will save you hours of frustration later on when it comes to fitting all the equipment.

Quoted for truth.

Really fantastic build EVH, I hope you and your family have many wonderful years in that place!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

You see the two LED's on the Meter, you can read that with abit of a build using an arduino and some code, then stick an Ethernet shield on for networking the display etc.

Interesting, I've been looking to do some more arduino projects.

Do you have a link to that particular schematic?

So that would be 9.69x~41p, £4? Is that right? Presumably you also don't draw off the national grid so you add whatever your energy bill is to the earnings?

Electricity flows in AND out of the system (hence the black terminal blocks above the consumer unit).

The easiest way to explain it would be: I generate electricity, what I use is taken from that generated output, and what isn't, is fed back in to the grid. It pays to use the electric in the days, rather than in the nights because you can't store what you produce. This can mean changing your lifestyle by doing little things like washing your clothes in the day, rather than a night cycle etc.

If for example, I'm generating 1kW and using 1.5kW then I draw 0.5kW from the grid. If I was only using 0.3kW then 0.7kW would be fed back in to the grid.

I'm not sure how you calculate a monetary value (it's new to me!), but I pay 14p per kWH from npower. The government gives me 43.3p for every kW I generate, so almost £4.33?

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Hey EVH, so you got some PV panels after all, how you finding them.....:cool:

Did you not get a remote wireless gadget with your inverter?...I got this solar powered thingy that gives me all the info you were talking about earlier....it also connects to the PC so you can do a load of other stuff as well....

Last edited:
Associate
Looks good

I looked into solar panels myself they are pointless unless your family is at home during the day which most people wont be due to work so i can't see any point in them.

Man of Honour
Looks good

I looked into solar panels myself they are pointless unless your family is at home during the day which most people wont be due to work so i can't see any point in them.

You mean you haven't looked into them at all, if you had you would know you making a killing from them. Better than high interest savings accounts and guaranteed for 25years.

Do they not come with some sort of energy storage device???

Nope, that adds pointless cost and takes up space. No need for storage when your on the grid. You can get storage batteries though if you so wish.

Associate
You mean you haven't looked into them at all, if you had you would know you making a killing from them. Better than high interest savings accounts and guaranteed for 25years.

Nope, that adds pointless cost and takes up space. No need for storage when your on the grid. You can get storage batteries though if you so wish.

But I did look into them I kept having people knocking on my door saying about having them installed even for free which got me interested to do research.

So because your such a smart a** i would like you to explain how they are any use to my family in 4 bedroom house when we are all not in during the day are high usage is at night for power/water.

If your refering to the feed in rates well if you get them installed for free you basiclly don't get anything and like i said we use it at night so once you calculate the feed in to usage at nights it's not worth it i even got my dad to look over the figures he knows about electric he agreed.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A thing called feed in tarrif although it's a lot less know than when you "looked" into it. You do not need to be in during the day.

The free ones the FIT goes to the company and if that's all you looked at, then that's not researching it. If you did look into it then you would know the FIT goes to the company and that buying yourself is a much better investment.

Last edited:
Soldato
But I did look into them I kept having people knocking on my door saying about having them installed even for free which got me interested to do research.

So because your such a smart a** i would like you to explain how they are any use to my family in 4 bedroom house when we are all not in during the day are high usage is at night for power/water.

Having them for free isn't looking into them at all, all the revenue goes to the company and all you get is 'free' electricity when you demand it and its being generated.

When you look into it properly you will understand why they can be a good investment esp like int he OP's house that has been built to live in for many years i assume.

Associate
You lot are not listening I looked in to them the free ones and paid ones there isnt really any benefit for me also you do know that the system degrades so you then have to pay out to have bits replaced.

Man of Honour
You lot are not listening I looked in to them the free ones and paid ones there isnt really any benefit for me also you do know that the system degrades so you then have to pay out to have bits replaced.

everything you said is just rubbish and shows you haven't looked into them at all. yes they do degrade. all however have a 20, 25 or 30 year warranty on and the common one is for the warranty to ensure that the panels are producing a minimum of 80% at that time period. With a rated life span on 25 years. you will of paid the investment off and to install the next panel at todays prices, not that it would cost anywhere near that to replace.

The benefit for you is large amounts of profits ~£1k a year, ~18years of that profit one you pay of the ~10k install.

So try again.

The FIT did pay ~43p for every kwh you prouduced whether you where in or out, and seeing as you pay ~10pkwh thats large profits on every unit. if you dont use it, it goes back to the grid at ~4.3p a unit, in effect cutting your bill by a 1/3 for those units. or if you do use that power cuts your bill totally for those units produced.

Associate
everything you said is just rubbish and shows you haven't looked into them at all. yes they do degrade. all however have a 20, 25 or 30 year warranty on and the common one is for the warranty to ensure that the panels are producing a minimum of 80% at that time period. With a rated life span on 25 years. you will of paid the investment off and to install the next panel at todays prices, not that it would cost anywhere near that to replace.

The benefit for you is large amounts of profits ~£1k a year, ~18years of that profit one you pay of the ~10k install.

So try again.

If you say so I did look into it using engerysavingtrust site.

it sounds like you didn't look into the parts because yes the panels degrade but there is other parts to the kit which have issues with age.

your just acting like a d**k because someone disagrees with you but that is the way people are at times when someone states about one of there purchases.

Associate
I wouldn't have that monstrosity attached to my house, no way, i don't care how much money it saved me over 25 years.

Ruin's the look of the house in my opinion.

Each to their own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom