****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just finished reading the whole thread across 3 Saturday's in work (Only short stints) and absolutely love the house. Inspiring stuff for anybody even remotely thinking about self-building (And for all the others who probably now want to :p).

Thanks for the read!

Soldato
Just read through this, inspiring stuff!

Sadly some of your pics aren't showing a few pages back with all the latest tech equipment.

Quick question, when you say build cost. Does that include all the furniture and tech equipment as well?

Hitman
Associate
Got through the first couple of pages last night, must say, the build looks astonishing, the external finish is a delight on the eyes! The internals looked good bare blimey/LOL!

Soldato
I'm not sure how you calculate a monetary value (it's new to me!), but I pay 14p per kWH from npower. The government gives me 43.3p for every kW I generate, so almost £4.33?

I'm sure there's an easy way to scam them that way, charge up some large batteries at night from the grid. Feed the power back into the grid during the day. Profit?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Odd that I thought about this thread earlier today and embarked on reading the entire thing again; only just finished and started about half 5!

Really is a fantastic job EVH, bloody well done sir!

This is the kind of thing I want to be doing in 5 years time or so; so there's plenty of useful information in here!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Some updates incoming, it's been long enough ;)

You may, or may not have picked up on the broadband problems we were suffering whilst we first moved in. Essentially, we had a REIN issue that was knocking the ADSL out randomly throughout the evening and weekend etc. It's down to a faulty electrical supply nearby, but we never got around to pinpointing it and BT... well, *facepalm*

So... I thought I would be stuck until my parents had a rural broadband service fitted. It is a form of point to point wireless access point that receives signals from nearby fibre-fed towers, in the local village.

Interested, I asked the engineers on the job, if I could receive the signal at my home (approx 5km away). They said they'd do a site survey and left. Looking at the graph you can see the distance, the trees and elevation of the "line of sight".

Q1g9M1b.jpg

A few months later and this is on my house..

Pc5rfB9.jpg AXLpPPS.jpg

The first day they installed this, they chose to screw it directly to the PVC fascia of the house which I was a bif confused by as there are high trees in the neighbours garden opposite to our house, and I didn't think it would work. It did work, but at "10Mb".

Considering we paid £500 for the privilege of the install, I demanded they come back and put it on a longer pole. They took some convincing, but I always find the mention of "not happy, not paying.." always swings the argument. It's now on a 10ft pole.

M3rZm8b.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the antenna you can see lights. Each light indicates a level of signal strength except the first 2 on the left. 1 is power, 2 is LAN and the others are signal. Red is low, amber is medium and green is full signal for their respective band.

2253636992.png

2280146128.png

2329974834.png

Much better! The ping is surprisingly good too considering the distance it's coming from. It can drop as low as 3-5ms in the winter when the trees have no leaves but aside from whipping out the chainsaw, this is always going to be my limit.

The end goal is fibre to the home, or at the very least fibre to the cabinet, so if I have to remove the WAN antenna I will use the pole they've put up to house the DAB radio aerial. Obviously I will shorten the pole first!

EDIT: Had FTTC installed a few weeks ago on 01/03/2013, so we're not using the wireless service anymore!

2543922123.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I've also been busy ripping apart the rack and upgrading the kit.

Everything is now black, except the DAB radio and HP switch :(

Removed:
  • Apple AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi access point
  • Billion 7800 ADSL modem @ 6496/1024kbps
  • DroboPro NAS with 12.5TB storage
  • Brush faceplate for coax cable passthrough
  • 16 way coax patch panel (2 LNB, 1 Freeview, 1 DAB, 6 rooms)
  • Humax Freesat HDR+ with 1TB HDD
  • Apple Mac Mini as HTPC (running Plex)

Installed:
  • PoE adapter that feeds the rooftop WAN antenna
  • ASUS RT-N66U wireless router
  • Seagate 2TB USB external drive
  • Sky+ 1TB satellite box

The coax is now wired directly in to the splitter and generally I've tried to maximise the space by using all-in-one devices such as the ASUS router.

The idea behind it, was to make as much room down the bottom for Sonos multiroom audio boxes, and I've done that. There's now 10U of space below the AV receiver with a 2U unusable slot down the bottom for airflow.

If any when BT infinity is installed (provisional install date 22/02/2013), I will dump the Seagate drive and put the fibre modem on the shelf next to the ASUS.

Apologies for the dust!

X9C1Emo.jpg

CDsHW8F.jpg

0Ohefyl.jpg

xXT2rjd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom