ex-mate demanding money with menaces - Help!

Permabanned
Tell him that you intend to pay him back, but that you won't discuss any terms when threats are being thrown around. If the threats don't stop then tell him he's forcing you to report him to the police, which may mean he never sees the money.. as legally, there's no way to force you to pay it back.

This is the really only true answer to begin with. See where this answer takes you.

Soldato
Just send him an email explaining how much money you have coming in, and how much you're saving (and have already saved), then give him an exact date when you'll have his money available. Do this in a polite tone.

If this doesn't work, you could consider taking out a small loan to pay him back.

Associate
I'm reminded of this...

thestewiegriffinproject.jpg

;)

Associate
Have you watched any Judge Judy at all?! ;)

because unless he has something which says "here is a gift of x" then it is considerably more reasonable that the money was a loan. The story is basically "I was down and out and needed money and a friend helped me out with a couple of grand". It would be your word against his and because people, as a rule, don't just give out money for free he'll win; you can say "he swore it was a gift" as much as you like, it won't make any difference.

The guy is clearly a bit mad but the at the end of the day OP will lose if it goes to small claims.

He owes him the money, get credit card, pay him, get on with your life.

B@

No but I am an English solicitor so perhaps better placed than Judge Judy to make a call on this one :p

It's not about what may be objectively more reasonable, it's about what the evidence shows, on the balance of probabilities. If someone gives you the money, makes no written record of such donation being a loan, states that it's a gift and then some time afterwards goes mental and asks for it back then you've probably got the facts on your side. The only key fact at issue here is the intent of the donor and the evidence points to an intention to donate.

So contrary to your thoughts, I would suggest that his friend would have a very difficult time in proving it was a "loan".

Regardless, people's practical advice is probably more helpful in this situation as it's not likely to come down to the small claims procedure...

Back
Top Bottom