Exchange Hosting

Soldato
Can anyone recommend any Exchange hosting companies. I'm currently with cobweb, but think they're expensive at £15 a month..

1 account with circa 1/2GB mailbox. Benefit from Cobweb is that message labs filtering is included in the package.

Looking at http://www.simplymailsolutions.com/ at the mo.

Not touching 1and1 after they trashed my mailbox last time and couldn't restore etc. after a botched Exchange upgrade.

Soldato
considering how much it would cost to install a server and exchange environment yourself, you really think £15/month is expensive?
TBH mate, unless you're 'unhappy' with the service, i'd stay where you are.
BUT, why the need for hosted exchange. Whats wrong with having a standard popmail and regularly backing it up yourself?
Cost = next to nothing, maybe £20/year to a web-hosting company with a mail-starter package.

Soldato
OP
considering how much it would cost to install a server and exchange environment yourself, you really think £15/month is expensive?
TBH mate, unless you're 'unhappy' with the service, i'd stay where you are.
BUT, why the need for hosted exchange. Whats wrong with having a standard popmail and regularly backing it up yourself?
Cost = next to nothing, maybe £20/year to a web-hosting company with a mail-starter package.

Yeah I know how much it costs.

I just like to have access to my mail from anywhere with features such as OWA / RPC over HTTPS etc etc. Had Exchange email for about 5 years now and much prefer it...

The only change coming is I've got rid of my Palm Treo Pro and I'm getting a 32GB iPhone 3GS or failing that a 16GB version

It's a case of checking value for money... I did run a SBS 2003 at home for a while, but with the cost of power and Sky not allowing me to have a static IP address etc. I couldn't be bothered

Soldato
Yeah I know how much it costs.

I just like to have access to my mail from anywhere with features such as OWA / RPC over HTTPS etc etc. Had Exchange email for about 5 years now and much prefer it...

The only change coming is I've got rid of my Palm Treo Pro and I'm getting a 32GB iPhone 3GS or failing that a 16GB version

It's a case of checking value for money... I did run a SBS 2003 at home for a while, but with the cost of power and Sky not allowing me to have a static IP address etc. I couldn't be bothered

But Mikey, why would you need those? OWA is the same as just checking your popmail in a browser anyway, albeit you set it up to keep mail on the server for so long to enable your desktop to receive it too. And just about any popmail account can be configured on a mobile phone or blackberry or palm. You can't do that with exchange.
I use xcalibre and they have just launched an IMAP server tariff this month, so that may be something to interest you. I still use the pop accounts as its been fine tbh. They have spam and virus filters on their servers as well. It costs me £9.99/pa for domain parking and £20/pa for the web/mail package.
That's just an example of what i have, i'm sure there are others around that could easily cater for your requirements.

daz

daz

Soldato
I'm just saying from a hosting provider's perspective, Exchange is expensive - that's why you'll find the prices largely very similar.

Associate
I use sherweb.com for my personal exchange hosting needs. Been using them for about two years now and it's been pretty good :)

Think it's around $9/mo so pretty cheap - their support is good as well. They had some DNS issues yesterday which lead to delayed email. Logged a support call and I had a response back within 10 minutes apologising and explaining the problems :) Only issue I've had in the time I've been with them.

Soldato
OP
I use sherweb.com for my personal exchange hosting needs. Been using them for about two years now and it's been pretty good :)

Think it's around $9/mo so pretty cheap - their support is good as well. They had some DNS issues yesterday which lead to delayed email. Logged a support call and I had a response back within 10 minutes apologising and explaining the problems :) Only issue I've had in the time I've been with them.

What do they use for Spam/AV?

mmm they use barracuda.. configured a few of these a few years back.. Only problem with the set-up for SME is that the content still hits the network all be it on the boundary.

Last edited:
Associate
What do they use for Spam/AV?

mmm they use barracuda.. configure a few of these a few years back.. Only problem with the set-up for SME is that the content still hits the network all be it on the boundary.

Yep they use barracuda. Think they've just upgraded to the latest versions as well from the planned maintenance notification I got a couple of weeks ago. Seems to work pretty well for me. I certainly don't get any spam :)

Soldato
OP
Your requirements seem mighty stringent when shopping on a shoestring :D

No just a case of knowing what is out there.

I've asked Cobweb to confirm my renewal costs and what deal they can do. At the mo it's £14/15 a month, but on the website it refers to £6/9

The one mentioned above seems to tick a few more positive boxes, plus a bonus of a 3GB mailbox, not that I'd let it get that big.

Soldato
OP
I know 1and1 haven't got the greatest rep but I have been with them for over 3 yrs without too many issues!

I had issues too, but when they toasted the mailbox and didn't have a backup and told them to stuff it and the bill.. They backed down in the end and I moved to Cobweb. Thankfully I'd done a pst export a few days before as I wasn't convinced with their Exchange migration

Back
Top Bottom