• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Exclusive: The AMD Inside Story, Navi GPU Roadmap And The Cost Of Zen To Gamers

Soldato
The i7-5775C with its Iris Pro Graphics 6200 and the Ryzen 5 2400G with its Radeon Vega 11 Graphics

are APUs and their graphics performance is decent enough to make people want this additional acceleration, for example on top of their usual RX 550, RX 560, RX 570, RX 580 and GTX 1050, GTX 1060 discrete graphics.

This acceleration in itself can add frame rates to make the difference between unplayable and playable experience in a given scenario.

The i7 made a lot more sense to pair with discrete graphics card because the L4 cache it had on die could be used when using a discrete card as well. This meant better performance than skylake in certain games.

Permabanned
AMD are not going to go for 2 or 3 years without any new GPU's.

They may not, probably will not be competing with nVidia's high end but mid range yes.

Yup, Navi on 7nm is next year, and first half higher chance than second half.

The i7 made a lot more sense to pair with discrete graphics card because the L4 cache it had on die could be used when using a discrete card as well. This meant better performance than skylake in certain games.

Hmm, I thought Iris Pro is still their highest end graphics to date.

Caporegime
AMD are not going to go for 2 or 3 years without any new GPU's.

They may not, probably will not be competing with nVidia's high end but mid range yes.
It's not just a lack of GPUs, it's also a lack of advancement in terms of perf/$.

290 -> 480 -> 580 = 4-5 years of the same perf/$.

Soldato
It's not just a lack of GPUs, it's also a lack of advancement in terms of perf/$.

290 -> 480 -> 580 = 4-5 years of the same perf/$.
That's not quite fair. Amd are apparently not responsible for the massive inflation of price mining has caused them. Although I do think they could have been braver and ramped performance higher. Or been more proactive in creating a 'one per customer' gaming channel to keep a more moderate price dor single end users.

Soldato
That's not quite fair. Amd are apparently not responsible for the massive inflation of price mining has caused them. Although I do think they could have been braver and ramped performance higher. Or been more proactive in creating a 'one per customer' gaming channel to keep a more moderate price dor single end users.
I don't think Fox meant AMD specifically. What he's trying to say the performance for the graphic card at the £200~£300 price bracket has barely budged for nearly 4 years, and the same goes for Nvidia as well with their 1060 (though unlike AMD they are not limited by what they could realistically deliver, but instead chose to "under-deliver" and dip-feed us for the sake of making more money).

Soldato
That's the point though the RX 480 launched at 199 or 239. It should be 180 quid or actually 2 years on more like 150 tops... and at that price it would be a really good increase in price/performance over previous generations.

The inability to supply has more than doubled the cost AMD planned for this and as they are a corporate they dont really care.

I think they had a genuine costed plan to re ignite the PC gaming market with a really strong 1080p card at a price point the market would snatch up. The mining craze has met that they have sold every card they could produce at better prices and amd and their whole supply chain has largely done extremely well out of it. I would love a peak under the hood of the financials of the whole lot to see who made all the money over the last 18 months... And I am really interested why no one in the press has done a proper investigative story on that.

Soldato
No, I expect people to take anything like this written in the tech media as complete BS. As if AMD aren't going to improve on Vega for 3 yrs. They could do that with zero effort if they wanted to, they already have the parts and call them Instinct.

WCCF and every other similar site create these articles to get traffic. Next week they'll probably publish something that completely rebuffs this and flip flop til the cows come home.

If AMD make an official announcement, that is the only source anyone should believe, not some journo trying to generate money for their site.

Then again, nobody in here would be able to argue about it if we all just saw it for what it was :p

Fair enough, but you do realise companies can and will lie in official statements?

Permabanned
Maybe, after all, the article has been more correct... :(
What happens with AMD?! They can't simply and easily launch next-gen cards in one year. By that time, Polaris would be celebrating its third birthday... :eek:

Soldato
Had a good chat with raja, lots of interesting stuff being worked on with intel's new graphics architecture. Also the reasons behind Vegas woes are interesting and not what people think. But that's all i will say. :p

#insiderinfo

Man of Honour
Had a good chat with raja, lots of interesting stuff being worked on with intel's new graphics architecture. Also the reasons behind Vegas woes are interesting and not what people think. But that's all i will say. :p

#insiderinfo

Always more than one side to a story and generally people don't accept the problem is themselves heh.

Permabanned
I don't understand.

There is no such a big problem in Vega itself but in the fact that Polaris and Vega have no impeding replacements anytime soon.

It is like AMD wants to abandon the graphics market, but that isn't just gamers, that is notebooks as well.
They can't sell only APUs. What is so wrong with them :confused: It won't cost billions to improve Polaris.

Man of Honour
I'm actually more curious what went wrong with Fiji - other than being stuck with 28nm and potentially using it to gain experience with HBM.

There were just so many lessons not learnt there but hints of more problems behind the scenes as obviously at least 3 different groups of people weren't on the same page with its development.

Man of Honour
Fiji is still faster than GTX 980Ti https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/RX_580_Mech_2/31.html
While Vega trailing behind the lower tier GTX 1080, is the ultimate turd in these charts.

Across a wider range of titles its performance is very hit and miss - while it can keep up with the 1070 in some stuff it really falls down in others and it is propped up quite a bit in that review by not falling down quite as badly as some of the other cards in 4K in some titles such as https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/RX_580_Mech_2/12.html

It should have been possible to make a much more consistently fast card from it even with the problem of being stuck on 28nm.

Back
Top Bottom