Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If we could start from the position that when paying off your personal credit card bill you won't quantitively ease the value of the currency or borrow to discover North sea oil the discussion could move forward!

It took 10 pages plus for some conservative evangelists here to accept that post WWII we actually invested heavily to grow our way out of debt to at first reduce deficit and then run a surplus!

Austerity has observably been an economic death spiral with diminishing returns, those pushing it, after 7 years could do with facing reality!

Caporegime
To be honest I've heard people say universities are left wing institutions that brainwash students.

I don't know what people think students do at universites...they don't hold hands round a campfire...sing kumbyah... And talk to their teachers about what's the latest nasty thing Theresa may and the corporations have done. They just go there to learn about their chosen subject. Not once did any of my teachers talk about politics.... So I don't know why many people think this happens.

Well it's usually those that didn't go to uni not realising that the student politics is completely seperate to the rest of the university body. Those dozen or so NUS "leaders", elected in a vote with a turnout of about 100 people (the vast majority being friends of those standing) do not in reality represent anyone but themselves.

Alternatively it's a national conspiracy where lecturers from all walks of life and areas gang together to undermine the "right" with research and "wrong" education based on "alternative" facts.

:p

Soldato
Why don't you do a quick experiment, go to Twitter and make 2 accounts. With 1, spam anti black speech and with the other spam anti white speech. See which one gets shut down.

I'm pretty sure that there's enough fake/hate speech accounts on Twitter already. I agree with you that Twitter doesn't do enough to shut down hate speech accounts though. A friend of mine has received multiple threats of rape and Twitter has done nothing each time.

Man of Honour
Austerity has observably been an economic death spiral with diminishing returns, those pushing it, after 7 years could do with facing reality!

Austerity isn't and shouldn't be used as a long term measure however its worth objectively comparing it against the alternatives - over the last few years the alternatives while they could have paid off better also had a more than moderate chance and a far higher chance than that of austerity of putting us in a catastrophic economic collapse. People often to point to Germany in this context but the reality there isn't all that it seems - there is some complex leveraging that means potentially something relatively small could bring their whole house of cards down with the recent tax scandal pointing to wider concerning financial irregularities and some dubious investment in southern European countries for instance could result in long term bigger issues that would have a knock on effect on the German domestic economy:

High Spanish growth over the past decade has been driven by a real estate bubble, not by high productivity, and whatever growth we have seen in Greece was the result of an inflated public sector. These countries don’t look, at least ex-post, like the best places where to invest the savings of German households. Also because the return on the assets issued by these countries have not, until very recently, compensated for the risk the implied.

My main concern is that the Tories don't seem to understand any shrewdness in the application of austerity and simply using it because its the least likely to explode in their hands when they have no clue as to what else to do.

Soldato
The campus which forced all white people to leave the campus for a day.

I doubt anyone's going to be surprised,but this turned out to be a waste of time.

Can you explain how a video of a white man saying he went onto campus and had a nice chat is proof that all white people were forced off campus?

Such a disingenuous waste of people's time.

Soldato
Can you explain how a video of a white man saying he went onto campus and had a nice chat is proof that all white people were forced off campus?

You clearly didn't watch it, that is the proffessor that was being forced off campus for being white. Listen to what he says within the first 5-10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom