Poll: Exit Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Results discussion and OcUK Exit Poll - Closing 8th July

Exit poll: Who did you vote for?

• Conservatives

Votes: 302 27.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 577 52.6%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 104 9.5%
  • Green

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 30 2.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Oh how dare governments try to live within their means. How evil of them to not rack the debt levels up even higher..... Yawn.

Yawn, the country isnt a bloody house.

We can run a deficit as high as the GDP growth allows, which is now zero thanks to Cameron.

Oh how LOFTY we are today.

Caporegime
So you don't mind the fact that over £50 billion is spent every year by this country just to service the debt interest. You're ok with that then? £50 billion less to spend every year.

Unless we want to just give up the NHS, state pensions, a state military and state anything... you can pretty much ignore ever running a surplus with such little truly valuable investment in the country.

If you want to live in a neocorporate **** hole, that's fine, i gather most don't.

Soldato
Unless we want to just give up the NHS, state pensions, a state military and state anything... you can pretty much ignore ever running a surplus with such little truly valuable investment in the country.

If you want to live in a neocorporate **** hole, that's fine, i gather most don't.

I can see that you have a lack of understanding on economics. I mean that's the thing with debt. No matter what, it has to be paid back one day. You'd rather turn a blind eye to fiscal responsibility and living within your means. Shame. That's what got us in this position in the first place.

Like I said. You appear content that we waste £50 billion every single year on interest.

Caporegime
I can see that you have a lack of understanding on economics. I mean that's the thing with debt. No matter what, it has to be paid back one day. You'd rather turn a blind eye to fiscal responsibility and living within your means. Shame. That's what got us in this position in the first place.

Like I said. You appear content that we waste £50 billion every single year on interest.

That £50 billion is doing good work, perhaps you don't understand just how valuable National debt is to private investors, they're clawing at the chance to get a hold of more and we should welcome that... not ideologically going after some bloody student politics level of tripe discussion on debt/deficit.

We've reduced the cash flow for public sector workers by around 10% i think, you know who that actually hurts in the end? Business.

Soldato
Your kidding right? You must have seen the Antifa/Alt Left riots when Milo was doing that talk at Berkeley.

I saw that. He is banned from Twitter for hate speech/harassment so I can understand the protest. It seemed to get a little out of hand though.

OR the campus which forced all white people to leave the campus for a day.

I did not see this. Are these isolated incidents or part of a much wider trend? I can't tell as I'm not a regular visitor to American universities and there's a lack of reliable sources of information on the subject.

Caporegime

If your economy grows quicker than the debt then it doesn't matter. You can't grow the economy quicker than the debt by hacking away at vital services, tanking wage growth and relying on a housing bubble to save you.

Soldato
I saw that. He is banned from Twitter for hate speech/harassment so I can understand the protest.

Why don't you do a quick experiment, go to Twitter and make 2 accounts. With 1, spam anti black speech and with the other spam anti white speech. See which one gets shut down.

I did not see this. Are these isolated incidents or part of a much wider trend?

The jist of the problem is explained within the first few minutes.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I suppose the likes of the daily mail and the sun don't want a too educated population... If that happened their readership would go down as most would start to realise 90% of what they write is lies.

+1. It's the same with the vilification of "experts" seen in the gutter press.

Caporegime
If your economy grows quicker than the debt then it doesn't matter. You can't grow the economy quicker than the debt by hacking away at vital services, tanking wage growth and relying on a housing bubble to save you.

Well that isn't necessarily true - the economy has been growing while the deficit has been reduced, let that carry on and you can have that situation you want and you can start to reduce the debt through running a surplus too.

On the other hand you *might* be able to grow the economy by getting into more debt but if you don't then you've just added to your debt problem... given that we've already got rather a large amount of debt to being with then I think it is preferable to try not to add to it so much, not to mention that it doesn't necessarily inspire much confidence in the markets, can affect the interest rates at which we then borrow which then further compounds the issue... there is a real risk there that you end up postponing the inevitable cuts and when you are finally forced to make them it isn't pretty at all - see Greece for example.

Caporegime
Amazing... There's £50 billion each year that COULD be going into all these things that you want.

That £50bn figure needs to be spent on servicing the debt regardless of the choices made in the present day. The argument is whether we stop all spending - or come as close to it as possible - to focus on that target, or borrow to invest in a way that makes the £50bn less relevant.

Debt that can be serviced isn't really an issue.

Soldato
Where is the money coming to fill this brexit black hole. Funny that we can afford brexit... We can afford the DUP deal.... But we can't afford pay rises
See, friend, what you cut away today is available tomorrow - so says Dave the wise. Order 'Home Economics is Macroeconomics 101' today for this and many other delightful pearls of financial acumen!

Caporegime
Well that isn't necessarily true - the economy has been growing while the deficit has been reduced, let that carry on and you can have that situation you want and you can start to reduce the debt through running a surplus too.

On the other hand you *might* be able to grow the economy by getting into more debt but if you don't then you've just added to your debt problem... given that we've already got rather a large amount of debt to being with then I think it is preferable to try not to add to it so much, not to mention that it doesn't necessarily inspire much confidence in the markets, can affect the interest rates at which we then borrow which then further compounds the issue... there is a real risk there that you end up postponing the inevitable cuts and when you are finally forced to make them it isn't pretty at all - see Greece for example.

We no longer live in the 50s rationing society, everyone wants their cake NOW and they will vote you out if they get bored of not getting it. Slowly making society kill itself because the government is rock hard set on making people depressed about their future, isn't a solution... they tend to get annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom