1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 2019 - News & Rumours

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by SpartaK, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Flibster

Caporegime

He didn't know what he was talking about when he was a driver.

2. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

So just being an F1 driver doesn't automatically mean they are always right then.

3. justbeats

Mobster

Reports coming through Ocon is about to sign for Renault... So that'll be Hulk out, to Haas?

4. andicole0

Soldato

Ocon leaving the Mercedes family? Must mean Toto has decided to keep Bottas for next year.
    Andi.

Edit - Oh yes, according to Givemesport.

5. justbeats

Mobster

I would imagine he'll be on loan Andi.

6. andicole0

Soldato

Have to wonder if the Renault engine will 'suddenly' improve .
    Andi.

7. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I don't think so - when asked about Ocon going elsewhere outside the Mercedes family earlier this season, Toto said that they would release him from his contract.

8. MissChief

Capodecina

Indeed, Toto said he'd have a drive next season even if it wasn't at Mercedes and even if it meant releasing him from his Mercedes young driver program. Good news for Russell if that's the case though?

9. justbeats

Mobster

Did he? I missed that, fair enough.

10. justbeats

Mobster

Yes it will open the door nicely for george in 2021 as even if Bottas retains his seat next year, he has no cat in hells chance after that surely, not with all these young lads coming through now.

11. Steampunk

Soldato

Bottas is not terrible, he's a decent number two, but I think the main thing is that he won't rock the boat and disturb Hamilton too much. I don't think Bottas is going to be a team leader when Hamilton retires, and he certainly doesn't have Hamilton's media profile that Mercedes love so much.

12. justbeats

Mobster

Agree on all points. I think next year will be Bottas last with Merc, Russell will surely take his seat in 2021 (regardless of his williams contract).

13. andicole0

Soldato

I wonder if Bottas will be given a championship like Rosberg. :D:cool::eek::(:rolleyes::o
    Andi.

14. Mr Jack

Capodecina

He's solidly mediocre, a proven nothing. As for a solid number 2, you only have to look at his truly turdacious performance last year to see how shaky that claim is. To come in 5th - 5th! - in a championship capable Mercedes without a single win to his name was a truly awful performance. This year he's on course to surrender 2nd place to a driver in the 3rd best car. Mercedes advantage has been solid enough that he's not yet cost them a place in the Manufacturer's standings but that is unlikely to last.

This is true, but it's a terrible way for top teams to be picking drivers.

15. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Bottas is having a much better season this year, but he’s not a particularly racy or aggressive driver compared to even the fading Vettel.

16. 413x

Capodecina

Not really excited about this Renault switch
    Think they are about equal ocon and hulk. Don't feel that ocon did that much to shout about. Could actually work out for hulk if he gets a haas.

I can imagine they'd jump at chance of hulk vs grojean

17. justbeats

Mobster

Completely agree.
    Ocon isn't just about performance, French driver, French team...

Hulk is a solid midfielder but nothing more, he'll be a safe replacement for Grosjean.

18. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

19. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Teams want the drivers that stand the best chance of winning the constructors championship for them. Mercedes are just very lucky to have Hamilton while he’s at his prime. Their only worry is Ferrari build a car equal to a Merc and Hamilton fancies winning a world title for the prancing horse.

20. Mr Jack

Capodecina

With Bottas in that seat, they don't need an equal car just something close enough. Having Vettel in the Ferrari is helping Mercedes out too.