1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1 2019 - News & Rumours

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by SpartaK, Jan 7, 2019.

1. timmeh

Mobster

Bottas is out of contract at the end of this year, Hamilton end of next year. I can't see them leaving it until 2021 in case Hamilton ups and quits.

I really do feel for Ocon though. He's going to end up in a Williams at this rate.

Exactly, it'd be great! Could end up being another Leclerc vs Vettel :D

2. SpartaK

Mobster

Here's food for thought, what if Lewis is planning to retire end of the season? Do you really think Merc would bring in Verstappen who would disrupt the status quo?

Can only see this as a reason they are looking to get Max in.

3. MissChief

Capodecina

They also have George Russell waiting in the wings too. I'd imagine their ideal situation is Verstappen and one of those mentioned, but three into two doesn't go and I'm quite sure Max will be expecting a seat and Ocon has probably been promised a seat there next year too. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Mercedes come July/August time!

Ocon is only 22 so could easily still be at Mercedes in some capacity in 2-3 years time. Russell is 21 and Max is only 21 as well. Max could stay at Red Bull until the end of 2020, sign for Mercedes for 3 years and join Ferrari and still only be 29! They have time on their side but, of course want to be in a works team with a chance of winning.

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I hate to say it, but I think Ocon's time in F1 has already passed. Mercedes won't give him a seat next year, no-one else wants him. He was decent last season but not spectacular, and that just wasn't enough for him.

5. andicole0

Soldato

Food for thought is the rumour that Lewis wants a go at MotoGP.
    Andi.

6. MissChief

Capodecina

I can't see it TBH. He'd take years to get up to speed. He might fancy a year or two at Maranello and then perhaps a Le mans 24 hour attempt. Alonso, Button Hamilton Super team? That would certainly generate a lot of interest and if the new Hypercar regulations go ahead then they could use a McLaren Senna or Speedtail.

7. EVH

Don

I wouldn’t have Max in Merc or Ferrari until he grows up and stops blaming everyone else for his crashes.

The Massa syndrome, if you will.

8. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

hamilton crashed into massa most of the time...

9. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Well, he could have a go, but he'd be a long way at the back of the pack. Two wheel skills translate far better to four than vice versa. It would be embarrassing.

10. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Likely. But Hamilton has done a number of motorbike trials, and seems to be keen. It's the only retirement rumour I'd waste a second's thought on.

11. Shimmy

Man of Honour

Lewis will do some PR work on MotoGP bikes due to mutual sponsors and a keen interest, but nothing beyond that. He's handy on a bike, but that's it.

12. EVH

Don

Doesn’t matter who crashed in to Massa OR who caused the crash, Massa never admitted fault.

Same with Max. He’s had a number of tangles with other drivers (including his team mate) and tried to claim it’s always the other man.

Let’s not forget the Ocon incident where he threatened to head butt a journalist for asking one too many a question :D:D

13. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

that was Ocon's fault and the other major incident was also Riccardo's fault

14. EVH

Don

What? Ocon’s fault that Max threatened to head butt a journalist? Interesting concept.

You’re focusing on my examples and not my point. Never mind.

15. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

yes, I get your point by why call it Massa Syndrome?

16. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Both were Max's fault. He weaved in front of Riccardo, taking an extra move in the braking zone, and turned into Ocon.

17. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

ok this looks more like max's fault

even Martin Brundle says it was Ocon's fault

18. justbeats

Mobster

So Brundle says something and it's therefore true?

19. ThestigGT999

Sgarrista

idk a former F1 driver should know what he is talking about don't you think so???

20. EVH

Don

Eddie Irvine says hello :D