F1 2022 Car Launches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Makes you wonder why everyone else has pushed the sidepods forward.

It's nice to see the cars are clearly different, I was a little concerned these thing would all look very similar this year.

Caporegime
Makes you wonder why everyone else has pushed the sidepods forward.

It's nice to see the cars are clearly different, I was a little concerned these thing would all look very similar this year.

More likely Merc have found that having them further back is better.

Only wonder then, is if they get cooling issues when running behind others again.

Which then immediately suggests they are fully expecting to be right at the front continuously.

Soldato
The sidepods aren't that far back. That image is from the render which shows the mirrors mounted in front of the sidepods, the actual car has the mirrors mounted above the sidepod intakes.

Soldato
The launch Merc looks pretty average, but I've never been a fan of the dull Merc grey (road cars included) - the black livery was loads better. That being said, given their history, we'll see something else near final testing, maybe more in line with the render.

The Ferrari looks great on track, and I hope it's quick - don't need another era of grey car domination.

Doesn't look like McLaren have anything special, which is unfortunate, but I doubt any of the cars will look like their launch models at the first race.
So the Merc looks average because you've never been a fan of dull, since when has colour been a reflection of performance :confused:

Yes the Ferrari looks great but does it go great? Consensus so far among those in the know suggest it's 'disjointed' or 'peculiar'.

The McLaren actually looks pretty good, they've taken a punt on the pullrod front end but the rest of it is as expected, Ferrari and AM not so much expected at all.

If you don't want any more grey domination perhaps Merc need to change to red or Ferrari need to up their game.

Associate
So the Merc looks average because you've never been a fan of dull, since when has colour been a reflection of performance :confused:

Yes the Ferrari looks great but does it go great? Consensus so far among those in the know suggest it's 'disjointed' or 'peculiar'.

The McLaren actually looks pretty good, they've taken a punt on the pullrod front end but the rest of it is as expected, Ferrari and AM not so much expected at all.

If you don't want any more grey domination perhaps Merc need to change to red or Ferrari need to up their game.

The grey isn’t the reason, but it doesn’t help when you look at how vibrant the other cars are. The other cars all have interesting features, whereas the Merc isn’t anything special, which probably means they’ve nailed it.

Whether any of the crazy designs on the other cars will work, time will tell; they’re either going to be game changers or very race specific.

A recent pic of the RB showed pull rod front end so I have a little more hope for McLaren.

The black livery on the Merc was great; maybe they’ll give it another go when PR give them a kick.

Soldato
merc_sidepod.jpg

Flipped the image to make it more clear. Left was the physical car, right was the render. Quite a difference in the position of the sidepods between the two cars shown hours apart.

Caporegime
Can people stop calling the Mercs grey.

It is silver.

Mercedes from the very early days had their cars in bare aluminium to save a bit of weight by not painting their cars.

The name silver arrows has a few different stories about its origin, but for decades Mercedes GP racing cars, and sportscars have all been known as silver arrows.

Not grey arrows.

Caporegime
And Ferrari looks shades of orange under a lot of circumstances, it is rosso corsa though, racing red, and not orange.

Transmission breaker
Don
I don't think policing other people's interpretation of colour is going to work.
I happen to think they look grey most of the time. It's rare they look properly silver.

It's pretty clear to me that the Ferrari is red. I dont think I have heard anyone call them anything but, until today, when you typed it :D

Soldato
The grey isn’t the reason, but it doesn’t help when you look at how vibrant the other cars are. The other cars all have interesting features, whereas the Merc isn’t anything special, which probably means they’ve nailed it.

Whether any of the crazy designs on the other cars will work, time will tell; they’re either going to be game changers or very race specific.

A recent pic of the RB showed pull rod front end so I have a little more hope for McLaren.

The black livery on the Merc was great; maybe they’ll give it another go when PR give them a kick.
Yes I agree there are some vibrant cars right now, the McLaren is my favourite tbh, but I do think the Merc is something special, not by colour but by package, it looks sleek and purposeful.

I also thought McLaren in a different way have got it right, and as you say RB with the front pullrod too backs their philosophy up.

I think this year McLaren and Ferrari are going to make things difficult for Merc and RB, at least I hope :)

Associate
I think this year McLaren and Ferrari are going to make things difficult for Merc and RB, at least I hope :)

That's the dream. Honestly, if Merc and RB ended up at the back of the grid, it wouldn't both me one bit. Seeing Ferrari, McLaren and the rest of the mid field fight it out would make for a great season.

Caporegime
That's the dream. Honestly, if Merc and RB ended up at the back of the grid, it wouldn't both me one bit. Seeing Ferrari, McLaren and the rest of the mid field fight it out would make for a great season.

Sorry but dream on.

Top teams will always remain top teams.

Merc and redbull had great cars last couple of seasons, the rules are a big change but as they are still using near enough same power trains etc, there will not be a massive step change in performance differential between teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom