F1 Qualifying 2019

Don
"They've been doing a lot of research among fans, and they feel this is one of the things that the fans would like."

I'd like to see which "fans" they did research with to come up with this gem.

Qualifying is probably best format it's ever been (and at times more exciting than the actual race) - if it isn't broke then please don't change it

Associate
How about Top 5 drivers from FP3 get a free pass in the first quarter of qualifying.

Less traffic in Q4 with teams that would obviously be getting through regardless? More reason to get decent laps in Free Practice too?

Soldato
I'd like to see which "fans" they did research with to come up with this gem.

Qualifying is probably best format it's ever been (and at times more exciting than the actual race) - if it isn't broke then please don't change it

Agreed. Out of all the issues I have with F1 at the moment, qualifying isn't really one of them.

Soldato
Most people here have missed the point here imo, they should change qualifying to Improve the race

here's my idea, Points for qualifying (top ten) and top ten reversed

mG4uYht.png

increase overtakes from the start and more strategies will come into play during the race

here is a more complete table

spGFS5r.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If we want the best car at the front maybe the Stig could do 1 lap in each car. Or if we want the best driver how about they each do 1 timed lap in a reasonably priced car.
Andi.

Soldato
I'd rather they base the grid start on either the previous race result or the drivers championship standings, using the time to give the rookies and test drivers more time in either a race format or practice.

Four qualifying sessions in an hour sounds very hectic!

Soldato
At least it's not changing the recipe, only tweaking it. I suppose on most tracks you'd be limited to one lap (or a two laps on the same tyre) which might make for the odd mistake and mix it up, without resorting to gimmicks like reverse grids (leave that to the BTCC thanks).

It's unlikely to make much difference 95% of the time and is more prone to deliberate blocking. As such just leave it be.

Soldato
I'm not against the change but qualifying has been better than the race on quite a few occasions so why do they need to change it?

The only issue I see with the current format is that teams with grid penalties don't run so why not make changes to the engine penalty system to get more cars out.

Definitely don't want to see artificial things like reverse grids and you just know that basing the grid off the previous race will see teams try and finish in certain positions before tracks they know will be difficult to overtake on or that they'll struggle on. The race before Monaco would be a race for last place :D

This isn't qualifying related but I'd like to see a 3rd points system added for engine suppliers. It'd give engine suppliers extra incentive (other than cash) to work with and supply 'works spec' engines to other teams that they may not already.

Soldato
Definitely don't want to see artificial things like reverse grids and you just know that basing the grid off the previous race will see teams try and finish in certain positions before tracks they know will be difficult to overtake on or that they'll struggle on. The race before Monaco would be a race for last place :D

This. F1 teams would work out within a couple of races how to score points more effectively and ruin the show in doing so. The minute teams are rewarded for not performing or penalised for performing then a huge problem is introduced.

Soldato
Definitely, don't want to see artificial things like reverse grids and you just know that basing the grid off the previous race will see teams try and finish in certain positions before tracks they know will be difficult to overtake on or that they'll struggle on. The race before Monaco would be a race for the last place :D

lol are you combining two different ideas?

This. F1 teams would work out within a couple of races how to score points more effectively and ruin the show in doing so. The minute teams are rewarded for not performing or penalized for performing then a huge problem is introduced.

Sort of like teams not setting a time in Q2 to get a tyre choice.

Soldato
No one intentionally doesn't set a time in Q2 to get tyre choice; that would leave them 15th. They don't set a time in Q2 when they're getting eleventy million grid penalties for changing a washer on the engine and will be at the back of the grid anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom