F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think the budget constraints have a lot to do with this, RB advantage is essentially locked in and the additional wind tunnel time isn't having the desired effect of bringing the other teams into contention, 23 was more dominant than 22.

Re the points on a spec series, maybe I'm wrong but I think most people watch F1 because it is the fastest cars in the world with the best drivers in exotic/glam locations, a spec series would still deliver on all those points. I am not sure how much the main audience cares about the differences between a prototype Mercedes vs a prototype McLaren that lets be honest most of us don't understand the intricacies between and even if you had the required qualifications you don't have access to the data to interrogate. They especially don't care when both of said teams are miles behind the all-conquering RB.

Last season was a snore fest and the first time I have ever stopped watching it, trying not to be too critical but if Max is on pole by half a second or more then I don't think I'll bother.

Tbh I don't care about the sport as to me, f1 isn't a sport. It's a business. For example I know (well. 95pc chance) that alpine will never hit the top step again. I mean how is it possible? Technically it is possible.. But can anyone see it? No.
I accept this now.. I just want to watch exciting races. Rain every time please!

I only watch it as it's popular.
There are a lot better series.. But they are hardly talked About. Like BTCC. It's more variable and more fun. But you can't really get into random chats with people about it.

Last season I enjoyed was rosberg and Hamilton going at it.
F1 is so so much better when the top teams have 2 good drivers.
We all salivate at max vs Lewis in same car. It'll never happen.

Really. If max wasn't in it it would be really entertaining. And that's how I watched last year. I just mentally pretended he wasn't there. The fight for 2nd was great.

My biggest gripes:
-f1 now sits behind a sky pay wall
-I can never see the team I support taking a WCC.
-f1 is a business not a sport
-it's best for business if a team has a clear A & B driver

Last edited:
Soldato
I know, that's what I said? It can't just be copied without changing lots of other bits.

I'll have to go and look in my YouTube history and see if I can find it. Basically this type of banned vortex (Their words not mine) can be responsible for manipulating the airflow in the cars favour (Detaching it?) whilst also creating dirtier air coming from it subsequently making following it harder.

IF that is true, Mercedes will be trying their best to sandbag and under play it as you can guarantee other teams will be all over it using the whole, "It costs too much to create our own version in this economy" excuse. Again, I've got my handfuls of salt on me as I've still reeling from their zero side pod thing that turned out to be a bouncy mess that couldn't hang with the Red Bull. :D (It did win a race though to be fair to it.)
If the front wing produces this vortex and if it is banned then it can't be used. Thus I think whilst it might have elements that 'reproduce' the vortices it cannot be employed completely.
If it is then for sure they'll be protests from other teams.
We shall see what comes of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
It comes down to, is the merc fast. If it is, protests will come thick and fast. If it’s not then it will just be another zero sidepod or rear wing innovation like Aston Martin did last year.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd have thought, of all the components used in a car, the front wing must be one of the easiest to reproduce.

Yes and no. Sure, they could copy the design pretty easily, but the wing defines the flow of air across the whole car. Radically change the wing, and you need to change everything behind it too.

Soldato
I'd have thought, of all the components used in a car, the front wing must be one of the easiest to reproduce. Stroll and Sargent get through multiple most weekends.
As mentioned in this thread, copying a front wing might be easy but utilising the newly found airflow efficiently is far from easy from an armchair experts view.

EDIT - as Jack says

Last edited:
Associate
Hamilton and Leclerc hit the debris from the broken kerb? drain cover? and it seems Ferrari are having to change Leclerc's floor as a result. Mercedes seem happy that Lewis' is still good.
I think Lecerc took the brunt of it. By the looks of it, He pulled it up originally.

Hamilton went over it but avoided any damage then Lecerc went back over it and came off worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom