F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I can cope with Visa.

I mean they are all brands. But visa cash app? Lol.

Rule should be in place you can be a brand, but not a brand + product

Walkers? Yes
Walkers cheese and onion? No

Last edited:
Caporegime
With no f1 tv due to sky greed and alpine just seeming like a horrible team to be in with horrendous upper management (ie above team boss) and who I've always supported for decades I'm really struggling to connect with f1.

Last year I watched all the races in the end. All on replay..but often in thier entirety.

Then VPN ban happened. And I went back to watching shorter replays. But this year, I dont know. I may not even watch some races. Or wait to see the forum rating before deciding to watch.

I almost watch no sport but f1. But unfortunately, yeah, losing it for f1. It is a tad sad. But I'm not shelling out 160 a year for a TV licence and whatever it is for sky/now tv just for f1. F1 tv was good price.

Last edited:
Associate
With no f1 tv due to sky greed and alpine just seeming like a horrible team to be in with horrendous upper management (ie above team boss) and who I've always supported for decades I'm really struggling to connect with f1.

Last year I watched all the races in the end. All on replay..but often in thier entirety.

Then VPN ban happened. And I went back to watching shorter replays. But this year, I dont know. I may not even watch some races. Or wait to see the forum rating before deciding to watch.

I almost watch no sport but f1. But unfortunately, yeah, losing it for f1. It is a tad sad. But I'm not shelling out 160 a year for a TV licence and whatever it is for sky/now tv just for f1. F1 tv was good price.
Sport organisations must make a killing from exclusive rights, otherwise it's surprising that they aren't fully on the streaming bandwagon like movies and TV series have done.

I'll never buy a TV sports package because the only sport I actively watch is F1, but would gladly pay a reasonable price for just F1 - even better if it's not Sky.

Caporegime
Sport organisations must make a killing from exclusive rights, otherwise it's surprising that they aren't fully on the streaming bandwagon like movies and TV series have done.

I'll never buy a TV sports package because the only sport I actively watch is F1, but would gladly pay a reasonable price for just F1 - even better if it's not Sky.

I was happy to pay for f1 tv.
The content was good. The picture quality etc was good.
The price was fair. I got to watch f1 for under 10 a month. That's probably my limit. Especially as you have the winter months with no content.

But the sky+tv licence cost? Absolutely not

Caporegime
We did stump for Sky F1, but it really does stick in the craw paying so much for a worse service than F1 TV offered. I blame Mick Schumacher. Sky has some other stuff which we use, so it's not completely awful - and being in Germany I get Premier League football thrown in at the base price that's a nice extra.

Given how disillusioned you seem with the sport, @413x, I can see why you don't fancy paying for it. Doubtless Alpine will now storm to an improbable victory just to spite you ;)

Caporegime
We did stump for Sky F1, but it really does stick in the craw paying so much for a worse service than F1 TV offered. I blame Mick Schumacher. Sky has some other stuff which we use, so it's not completely awful - and being in Germany I get Premier League football thrown in at the base price that's a nice extra.

Given how disillusioned you seem with the sport, @413x, I can see why you don't fancy paying for it. Doubtless Alpine will now storm to an improbable victory just to spite you ;)

Its hard letting go of something you've been invested in for so long! I actually think alpine are a bigger reason than f1 itself.

The team is so cold.

Compared to basically all the other teams.. Even red bull at least have personality. How they handled piastri and alonso.. Constant mistakes and blaming everyone else. It's not even that they are just performing terribly. It's the human side of the team.. Or lack of.. That really gets me.

Put it this way.. Who would choose to support alpine now? I'd say it's the team I'd choose last if picking today.

OK. I'm not sure I could handle supporting a team called "visa cash app" vs TR.. But even haas were interesting vs alpine.

Last edited:
Associate
Its hard letting go of something you've been invested in for so long! I actually think alpine are a bigger reason than f1 itself.

The team is so cold.

Compared to basically all the other teams.. Even red bull at least have personality. How they handled piastri and alonso.. Constant mistakes and blaming everyone else. It's not even that they are just performing terribly. It's the human side of the team.. Or lack of.. That really gets me.

Put it this way.. Who would choose to support alpine now? I'd say it's the team I'd choose last if picking today.

OK. I'm not sure I could handle supporting a team called "visa cash app" vs TR.. But even haas were interesting vs alpine.
I tend to support drivers over teams, although I do admire some teams more than others based on their overall performance.

In terms of Alpine, I dislike Ocon but do like Gasly. The people who run the team suck, which is a shame as they've had some good drivers and clearly can put some aero together, but their engine department is a complete disaster, even going back the V8 era, they were pretty trash.

Caporegime
I tend to support drivers over teams, although I do admire some teams more than others based on their overall performance.

In terms of Alpine, I dislike Ocon but do like Gasly. The people who run the team suck, which is a shame as they've had some good drivers and clearly can put some aero together, but their engine department is a complete disaster, even going back the V8 era, they were pretty trash.

I'll probably be bitter for a while that they signed Ocon on that ridiculous long contract. I thought it was crazy at the time.

Had they not, they could probably have piastri and alonso now.

Also. Yes. I agree. They'd be better ditching the engine and going as a customer.

Caporegime
... their engine department is a complete disaster, even going back the V8 era, they were pretty trash.

I'm confused by what you mean here? The V8 era to me is 2006-'13, during which Renault engines powered more Champions than anyone else, winning in '06 with Alonso, and '10-'13 with Vettel. Overall Renault are one of the most successful engine manufacturers in F1. True, they've not had a good run in the Hybrid era, but apart from Mercedes who really has?

Soldato
Can't say I'm super excited about watching another RBR+Max whitewash but I know I'll be there all through testing and the first few races like a chump :p

I would say 99% of people aren't either, even Max fans. However, let's not jump the gun. F1 is so marginal with performance windows, there is a chance any team could turn up with the next Brawn double diffuser revolution, or some such aero design which dominates proceedings. I mean Merc could bring a decent car now they've done away with the zero sidepods idea. Let's see. My prediction is definitely a closer season, but I feel Redbull will have pulled enough of an improvement gap to still make it very hard to claw back in this rule period. It's possible, possibly probable, that the best of this period will be next season, the final one of this era where teams are more likely to have squeezed everything they can out of these oversized ground effect beasts.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm confused by what you mean here? The V8 era to me is 2006-'13, during which Renault engines powered more Champions than anyone else, winning in '06 with Alonso, and '10-'13 with Vettel. Overall Renault are one of the most successful engine manufacturers in F1. True, they've not had a good run in the Hybrid era, but apart from Mercedes who really has?
Sorry, specifically meant the end of that era (when KERS was around) where Seb won his titles.

Quite a few articles covered that Renault had the weakest engine, although nowhere near the same deficit as we've seen in the 2 hybrid eras. RB were mostly dominant due to their efficient aero.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would say 99% of people aren't either, even Max fans. However, let's not jump the gun. F1 is so marginal with performance windows, there is a chance any team could turn up with the next Brawn double diffuser revolution, or some such aero design which dominates proceedings. I mean Merc could bring a decent car now they've done away with the zero sidepods idea. Let's see. My prediction is definitely a closer season, but I feel Redbull will have pulled enough of an improvement gap to still make it very hard to claw back in this rule period. It's possible, possibly probable, that the best of this period will be next season, the final one of this era where teams are more likely to have squeezed everything they can out of these oversized ground effect beasts.
Didn't brawn basically inherit the most expensive car ever made at that time?

Hadn't Honda been working on it for 2 years and brawn just basically bought it after Honda left? And it wasn't the fairytale underdog success story it appears on the surface?

Soldato

Hadn't Honda been working on it for 2 years and brawn just basically bought it after Honda left? And it wasn't the fairytale underdog success story it appears on the surface?

Partially yes that's correct, but 90% of why they were fast was the double diffuser aero concept, which they did design. All teams copied it eventually such was the extent of the performance benefit. If you haven't yet, watch the Disney Plus documentary on Brawn, it's quite good.

Caporegime

Yeah, but also: they had to botch in a completely different power train at the last minute and build the thing and deal with massive layoffs and the need to hugely restructure. To me, it's still a real underdog fairytale.

Partially yes that's correct, but 90% of why they were fast was the double diffuser aero concept, which they did design. All teams copied it eventually such was the extent of the performance benefit. If you haven't yet, watch the Disney Plus documentary on Brawn, it's quite good.

As I recall, they were one of three teams with it - the others not exactly rocking it - there was a lot more to it than the diffuser, although that did give them a key advantage. Agreed on the documentary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but also: they had to botch in a completely different power train at the last minute and build the thing and deal with massive layoffs and the need to hugely restructure. To me, it's still a real underdog fairytale.

As I recall, they were one of three teams with it; the others not exactly rocking it; there was a lot more to it than the diffuser, although that did give them a key advantage. Agreed on the documentary.

True. Indeed, I am being lazy and over simplifying. There were 3 teams with it initially I think. Brawn seemed to get the balance right along with the overall package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom