F1 Testing 2017: Week 1 Barcelona (27th - 2nd)

Man of Honour
OP
Hamilton onboard during race sim today.

Seems a little understeery as Merc aren't doing proper setup work until next week.

Soldato
That on board from the Merc, short shifting every gear from the looks of it, clearly not pushing hard and if they have done no setup work that's an ominous sign.

Soldato
6 teams out of the 9 that could run have been out, 7 if you include toro rosso's 1 lap. They have completed 133 laps (134 with TR), far from a wasted effort, but personally it should have been done at the end of the week and a proper half day dedicated to it rather then eat in to testing time.

Soldato
Its funny for someone as good as he is in the wet to not actually want to go and drive in the wet! Lol

It's makework for Hamilton. He's so good in the wet, he doesn't care about testing in the wet. He only wants to get the car sorted for the dry where he can max the car and himself out.

Soldato
In other words I want to go home.

That Mercedes isn't dialled in at all. Wow, they are hugely sandbagging then.

If that's the case, it's the same as happened last year. Mercedes looking good, but Ferrari and to a lesser extent Red Bull looking very threatening. We all know how that worked out.

I wonder if Mercedes are still a little sensitive about their domination. They are accused of making F1 boring because they are just doing a much better job than the other teams that can't catch up. So they try to hide their speed until the race, and then blast off into the distance.

Soldato
seems a bit of a silly thing to do, how many laps are the cars getting in wet tyres?

Why not look for a track that gets rain fall in testing season and do it properly. it looks like the teams are just waiting for it to try then go out.

The teams have brand new cars and want to make sure everything works. why do it on the first week.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
That onboard of the Merc, they seem to have closed off the cockpit with the foam surrounds a bit more. Lewis' hands just fit through the cut-out. It's details like that I love about F1.

Until they're racing we can't say what's what. There's no guarantee that if Merc had more in hand other teams don't. Testing requires the drivers to find their balance with the car too. There's also nothing to say the Merc running flat out might not have reliability issues, although unlikely.

I'm excited for this season. It's just a shame it's becoming less accessible for those who don't have posh subscription TV available.

Back
Top Bottom