F1 Testing 2017: Week 1 Barcelona (27th - 2nd)

Man of Honour
Honda have been a failure much more than a success in F1 and I can't see that changing anytime soon. Alonso gone before end of season?

Soldato
If f1today is right then Hamilton done his fast lap on SS. Where as Kimi done is top lap on Softs :eek:
Game on.

The last couple of years Ferrari always managed to put it some fast times, but that was always with light fuel and didn't translate to race pace. I wouldn't read too much into the test times, because the cars are all set up for different things at different times.

Man of Honour
Had to laugh earlier. Was kidsitting a friends 3 year old and they were sitting there with a couple of their toys on the floor while I was watching the F1 test daily roundup on Sky Sports.

Nico Rosberg appears on screen and at that point Becca starts singing to herself... She does that a lot. But it's what she was singing that made me laugh.

For some reason, I thought it was a touch apt... :D

Caporegime
McLaren must be a laughing stock now. It can't all be down to Honda as they still weren't a front running in 2014, nor 2013 when they had a Mercedes engine (obviously under different rules)

More than once in F1, we've made predictions based on a couple of days in testing that have ended up with egg on our faces. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's still quite possible than McLaren-Honda will surprise us come the actual racing.

Soldato
More than once in F1, I've made predictions based on a couple of days in testing that have ended up with egg on my face. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's still quite possible than McLaren-Honda will surprise us come the actual racing.

Put that right :)

Palmer and Alonso on track... red flag... you're certain what comes next, but it is Palmer in the gravel.

It's sad that it has come to this.

From Renault
"He couldn't get much heat in the medium tyres. He was travelling at low-speed around turn three so didn't have the downforce to compensate."

Still a few teams with no time on the board.

fi.png
Bottas Mercedes W08 1:21.632 18 Tires: Soft"
de.png
Vettel Ferrari SF70-H 1:22.222 +0.590 19 Tires: Medium"
ru.png
Kvyat Toro Rosso STR12 1:24.946 +3.314 12 Tires: Medium"
au.png
Ricciardo Red Bull Racing RB13 1:30.108 +8.476 8 Tires: Soft"
mx.png
Celis jr Force India VJM10 1:44.478 +22.846 6 Tires: Soft"
es.png
Alonso McLaren MCL32 no time 8 Tires: UltraSoft"
se.png
Ericsson Sauber C36 no time 6 Tires: Soft">
gb.png
Palmer Renault RS17 no time 4 Tires: Medium"
fr.png
Grosjean Haas F1 VF-17 no time 4 Tires: Soft"
es.png
Sainz jr Toro Rosso STR12 no time 0 Tires: Medium"
gb.png
Hamilton Mercedes W08 no time 0 Tires: Medium"
br.png
Massa Williams W08 no time 0 Tires: Medium"
de.png
Hülkenberg Renault RS17 no time 0 Tires: Medium"
ca.png
Stroll Williams FW40 no time 0 Tires: Medium"

Soldato
Pirelli are predicting a 1:17 for the pole at the Spanish GP, though whether that takes into account the hotter (slower) weather I've no idea.

Still down on the 2004 time (1:15.0) but obviously they had the fast sweeper that year rather than the mickey-mouse chicane we have now, which more than covers that.

Soldato
So, with the increased physical strain on the drivers do we think we'll see Hamilton doing as many extra curricular activities like last year? Or will he have to take the F1 more seriously? (Maybe seriously is the wrong word but i hope you know what i mean.. :D)

Associate
Think there is plenty more pace left in that Merc, especially as I can imagine there are a few trick parts which wont be on the car until Australia. Would be interesting to hear if they have started using the DRS yet. Think Massas 2008 time ~1.18 will be under threat come the race weekend looking at current figures.

Soldato
Think there is plenty more pace left in that Merc, especially as I can imagine there are a few trick parts which wont be on the car until Australia. Would be interesting to hear if they have started using the DRS yet. Think Massas 2008 time ~1.18 will be under threat come the race weekend looking at current figures.
It's intriguing that the Merc actually has quite a few "trick" parts on already. The RB in comparison is quite bare. Quite a few testing ideologies going on.

Soldato
With limited testing, wind tunnel and CFD time, these tests are important to see what works in the real world and what doesn't. That's why it's so important to get your cars running and doing laps so the teams can understand how the info from the CFD/wind tunnel relates to the real car on a real track. That's why the likes of Maclaren are not going to pull something out of the hat, because they are are not doing the laps necessary to understand and tune the car for the start of the season.

Associate
With limited testing, wind tunnel and CFD time, these tests are important to see what works in the real world and what doesn't. That's why it's so important to get your cars running and doing laps so the teams can understand how the info from the CFD/wind tunnel relates to the real car on a real track. That's why the likes of Maclaren are not going to pull something out of the hat, because they are are not doing the laps necessary to understand and tune the car for the start of the season.

Indeed, for example some of the times set have not had purple sectors all round, so could be speeding up and slowing down depending on what sector they are testing specific aero parts on i.e testing straight line, then slow corners, fast corners etc..

Back
Top Bottom