F1 Testing 2017: Week 2 Barcelona (7th-10th)

Soldato
I'd heard that they may have used as many as 9 power units in some capacity up to today. Some not failed, but changed anyway.
Certainly most haven't failed as such, more replaced before they do (as the engine manufacturers like, as the old saying goes that you can't analyse an engine that has blown itself to pieces). Certainly most made it back to the pit-lane under their own power.

Sadly for Honda though it appears they can't even analyse an engine that is failing even when it's still largely in one piece.

At least in the past two days they appear to have used the same core power unit, as Alonso suffered the same electrical glitches as Vandoorne yesterday,; apparently fixed this afternoon. That's about as good as the news gets. Mercedes (and supposedly Ferrari, Williams and Haas) have used one engine for the whole test. Honda have used at the very least four in that time.

Apparently they're going to struggle to fix the issues by mid-season too, as they are fundamental mechanical issues, rumoured to be vibration and heat related. McLaren keep on opening the rear of the car to allow more hot air to escape, yet they still haven't been able to run the car for more than a dozen laps.

They're looking an engine penalties by Barcelona at this rate.

Caporegime
I hope they don't do a Red Bull/Renault though. I lost a bit of respect with RB with their treatment of Renault. Happy while they were winning but threw Renault under the bus publicly when things didnt go their way. Mclaren like them need to just work with Honda and support them and only after that doesnt work; go their seperate ways.

According to the BBC, McLaren and Honda have a ten year (!) contract. Bet someone is regretting signing that right now.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A part of the issue is that Honda are sending the engine back to Japan, for analysis. Regardless of how good you are that's some serious time wasting when you're on limited testing.

Man of Honour
Few clips I took when there -

Just realised its been 11 years of going to F1 tests now (first was 2006 but went to Friday sessions instead when they stopped the June tests at Silverstone) :)

Associate
Damn the cars are going to be quick this year. When comparing the two laps, it's easy to see overtakes are probably going to be a rarity this year :(

I'm hoping that with the cars being such a handful, forced.unforced errors will keep things interesting, certainly for 2017 until the teams get drivabilty nailed.

Soldato
I'm still getting the niggling feeling that come race day Mercedes turns the engine up to race mode and is 1 second a lap faster than everyone else. Also with no Manor this season, the McClaren could be the slowest car.

Last edited:
Soldato
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/2017-preseason-analysis/

Really good analysis, did the same last year and got a pretty good gauge on teams relative positions.

Mercedes vs Ferrari is an unknown essentially.

Caveat the last few paragraphs discussing Mercedes low deg medium stint run was matched by vettel and is being discussed in his thread on f1technical where he admitted it wasn't part of his dataset but appears comparable to the merc stint.

Obviously still loads of variables such as used vs new tyres, whether aero implements were fitted etc. But it's infinitely better than any other analysis.

Last edited:
Associate
I am still coming to terms with the unbelievable situation at McLaren Honda. What's the point of flying tonnes of freight around the globe to fail? I really hope Ferrari have the true speed and performance to take on the silver arrows on equal footing and also hope Red Bull have the performance to be right in the mix. The world and F1 needs Mad Max right in there. Worst case scenario is that Mercedes will reveal there true speed and create an advantage of 1.5 - 2 seconds per lap around Albert Park. Lots of fans will yawn and switch off. Pre season testing has been dominated by who has has stretched the regs the most and the McLaren nightmare which has masked one very important factor - Valtteri Bottas. I thing this guy will be a huge problem for Lewis. Interesting times.

Associate
I'm looking forward to this years F1, past 3 years has been abit of a bore but they had their little moments. I hope this year its a much better Mix and see the Mid-Car do well & someone new wining F1. I dont know, I can'nt take more of the same old bore if it happens again. I love the design of the new cars & the fat tyres. Some of the care livery are awful L

Back
Top Bottom