failed my mod 1 :'(

Associate
totally bummed out, was a nice sunny day 2 weeks ago but a lil bit breezy and test got cancelled so been a bit on edge waiting for it.

get to the test centre today and its a bit rainy but nothing too bad, start the test and do everything perfect, best U turns and Figures of 8 I've ever done. go to do the emergency stop, I got a bit hung up on the "you must be going 50kph", as I went through the trap I looked down at my speedo, when I looked up he was there with his hand up in the air, I panicked a bit and left throttle open somehow as I braked, I still stopped in good time but apparently I was a hazard to the fabric of space and time and he stopped the test there and then. bummer as I wanted to at least finish the test for experience.

ah well, only thing I'm upset about is getting time off work as I have no holidays left lol.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

Next time you do your test, in your training prep beforehand, get your instructor to use a speed gun to measure your speed, and get used to the 'sound' of the engine at that particular speed you need. Then you'll know you've reached it without having to look down at your speedo. In my mod 1, I managed 56kph :D

Soldato
The training area at the school I went to didn't really even have enough room to get up to 50kph. Okay, you could. But you'd need to accelerate pretty damn hard after a 100+ degree bend and only have a few metres available for braking. However, the actual test area has plenty of room to get up to speed and a nice wide arc. I'd advise going for over 50kph on the initial controlled stop too. It's a good practice. Also, if you don't go fast enough they'll give you one minor and let you have another go so don't bother checking the speed and just rely on engine noise.

I made the mistake of actually setting off in 2nd after the emergency stop... so I then shifted up as I went for the swerve and thought I was in 2nd still.. accelerated with same throttle before and speed was 1kph lower than 50 so I had to have another go. Of course, I didn't mention I'd set off in 2nd when I realised :D

Soldato
My training area was quite small too, but my training bike was a CBF600 which had enough power to get you there pretty quickly regardless, and it did make it a LOT easier on test day, because their test area is HUGE in comparison, and the tarmac is probably the best you will ever ride on.

Soldato
Unlucky dude, put it down to experience, next time you'll know exactly what to expect. I'm not sure if it's the same with every test centre and school but my driving school had the use of the Mod 1 test area for one afternoon a week so we hammered all the manoeuvres then, being familiar with the place and the surface (SO much grip) was really helpful. See if your school has a similar arrangement and you can do an afternoon there.

Associate
OP
My school has their own yard. It's no where near as nice as the test yard but does the job. Just a waiting game now, I'll feel better once in booked in ready for the resit.

Thanks for the moral support guys. Really helps ^^

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Failed mine in torrential rain, for putting my foot down in the u-turn. I thought I’d made it but apparently I’d put it down and stopped 2ft too short of where he wanted me.

Second time was a breeze (and the weather was amazing!).

Soldato
I'm surprised that your instructor didn't tell you to not look at the speedo - it is absolutely pointless. The test requirements are known at the outset, so all you need to do it pin it until the speed trap and then come safely to a halt. Looking at the speedo gains you nothing.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm surprised that your instructor didn't tell you to not look at the speedo - it is absolutely pointless. The test requirements are known at the outset, so all you need to do it pin it until the speed trap and then come safely to a halt. Looking at the speedo gains you nothing.
As I was sat waiting for my mod 2 I watched someone fail on the controlled stop! He literally stopped 1ft short of the stopping cones, instead of with the wheel in the box.

Associate
Don't get too bummed mate, failed mine first time too, emergency stop too - Fist full of front brake, went down!

Second time I passed it - I'd bought a new front tyre in the 2 weeks between and did a maaaaaaaasive stoppie. Thought I'd failed because of that, but nope quite acceptable.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You'd fail and be asked to leave the test centre if you did a stoppie (in UK). Apparently it used to be acceptable to lock the back wheel so long as you controlled the stop but even this is an insta-fail.

Associate
Both locking the rear wheel and stoppies are quite acceptable in Australia, with locking the rear wheel in the event of the emergency stop being talked about in the initial briefing as something not to worry about due to the ease of it happening with weight transfer etc, as applying the rear brake gradually as you stop is the technique they teach.

Assuming they're not intentional of course, you're not going to pass doing the cone weave on the back wheel or anything...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You only need to cover the back brake.. if you’re locking up then you’re doing it wrong tbh!

Remember; it’s a controlled stop... not an emergency stop. There is no minimum stopping marker, as long as you’re stopping in a safe way and not 50ft up the tarmac then you’re golden.

I’m shocked that a stoppie is considered fine :confused:

Soldato
I’m shocked that a stoppie is considered fine :confused:

Straya innit.

This thread is good though, some useful info (ignoring Hater's posts :p ) as I have my mod 1 in a couple of weeks so it's good to read that you don't need to just slam on and stop straight away. The instructors will probably cover and say all the above anyway, but it's handy to read it before hand too. :)

Soldato
Straya innit.

This thread is good though, some useful info (ignoring Hater's posts :p ) as I have my mod 1 in a couple of weeks so it's good to read that you don't need to just slam on and stop straight away. The instructors will probably cover and say all the above anyway, but it's handy to read it before hand too. :)

IIRC I got a minor for could have stopped in a bit less distance. So you really don't have to stop in within a few feet :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Straya innit.

Basically, all you have to do is pull the front brake with increasing pressure (like squeezing the life out of a chav) then touch the back brake every so slightly as the bike dives forward.

If you grab and handful of front brake you’ll be sliding on your face. Too much back brake and you’ll be skidding down the tarmac.

Stop in a controlled manner and don’t worry about exact distances. It’s better to go long and get a minor than slam on and drop it.

Back
Top Bottom