Fake hate crime: Jussie Smollett paid two Nigerian brothers to attack him

Caporegime
Just read what you wrote Dowie. People don't describe things they're not familiar with like that. I'm sorry, but you're full of ****.

You really are upset by this, honestly not everyone has heard of this guy, I don't know why that has offended you so much.

I watched the first 40 seconds as I've already said and it was pretty dire:

"A Judge has ordered a special prosecutor in the Jussie Smolett case. (I think he means 'appointed' or 'ordered a special prosecutor appointed') It is not over. Apparently there was a mishandling of how the prosecution was supposed to go. Quick rehash for those who missed the story because it was the biggest story maybe you live under a rock. (that sentence is getting a bit Trump-esq :D) Jussie Smolett was accused of staging a hoax hate crime against himself and boy did it go downhill from there. Eventually he's kicked off his show, his show's getting cancelled but strangely, after 16 felony indictments the charges were dismissed.They called it an alternative, you know, er er dismissal or something like that but in reality it seems like a conflict of interest meant to protect the elites..."

And that's about where I gave up... you can keep your "award winning journalist" thanks :)

Since then someone has pointed out that he's won awards for live streaming/using a drone etc..etc.. well that's great, it doesn't change the fact that his delivery there was appalling and it seemed like it would be pretty dire to listen to the rest of it. I'm hardly alone in that view either:

My God, he's an insufferable asshat of the highest order. Thanks for the Reuters link.

Maybe if he does something interesting with a drone again then I'll pay attention, otherwise I'll stick with the previous view.

I should point out that a good argument against my view would have been to highlight something new, insightful that he's put in that video that hasn't been covered in news articles... instead I've got replies/arguments of "but but he's a well respected journalist" and general upset at referring to him as some youtuber/objections over the fact that I've not heard of him. My objection was towards the content I'd seen and rather tellingly no one has produced any counter to that so I'll assume the other 16 minutes or so were, as suspected, of little value added relative to the various articles out there. I'm more than happy to adjust my view on that but telling me that he's won praise in the past or that I should have heard of him isn't a good argument, it is irrelevant to what I've said.

Soldato
I don't get upset or offended by anything on the Internet.
To be fair it does come across that way. And to be honest, I'd never heard of the guy either, YouTube seems to have a very generational split content wise. My kids would probably be shocked to hear there are people that have never heard of DanTDM, but until I was a father of kids who started playing Minecraft I hadn't either, yet he topped the Forbes list of top YouTube earners a year or two ago. *Shrug*

Soldato
To be fair it does come across that way. And to be honest, I'd never heard of the guy either, YouTube seems to have a very generational split content wise. My kids would probably be shocked to hear there are people that have never heard of DanTDM, but until I was a father of kids who started playing Minecraft I hadn't either, yet he topped the Forbes list of top YouTube earners a year or two ago. *Shrug*
But you didn't insult the guy for no reason. It's the way I would have reacted if someone had posted a link to AOCs views on a subject.

Soldato
But you didn't insult the guy for no reason.

To be fair he didn't specifically insult this guy, but generically lumped him in with all youtube "journalists" with a sweeping generalisation of being an idiot and this was based on at least listening to 40 secs of the clip....which if the transcript provided is verbatim, then he didn't seem the most high brow of commentators :p

Soldato
My God, he's an insufferable asshat of the highest order. Thanks for the Reuters link.
No "Just LOL"? You feeling ok?
Omg...is i-bert Tim? He's certainly going on like he is.

Maybe we'll see him release a video tearfully telling everyone to leave him alone?
I'm really not that bothered, but thanks for your concern.

I don't post much and probably out of touch with the way kids talk on the internet, that's all.

It just seemed a very harsh description of a guy who speaks a lot of common sense. Maybe it's like with Shapiro, and they have problems with the way people talk.

Soldato
I didn’t insult the guy for no reason, why pretend otherwise?

Well you did call him a youtube idiot based on 40 seconds of a video that is 960 seconds long, I guess you don't make it through many books or films if your approval is based on the first 4% of a story ?

And FYI the video wasn't posted solely for your consideration and approval :)

Soldato
Dowie is right though.

I don't want my news with 16 minutes of opinion from a Youtuber when I can read a short news story in an article and make my own mind up.
But the video does give a recap of events leading up to the latest development in the case, I'm sure that was of some use to somebody.

Soldato
I don't want my news with 16 minutes of opinion from a Youtuber when I can read a short news story in an article and make my own mind up.

You're missing the point, it's more about calling a well respected journalist an idiot based off 40 seconds off one single video, than how you prefer to consume your news

I have a memory and access to google.

You know the video is aimed at everyone and not just yourself right ?

Caporegime
Well you did call him a youtube idiot based on 40 seconds of a video that is 960 seconds long, I guess you don't make it through many books or films if your approval is based on the first 4% of a story ?

Do you mean like when people watch say a movie trailer and then decide they don't fancy watching the film? Or perhaps pick up a book in a book shop and read a bit of it? Or change the channel on the TV...

I mean who would do something completely mad like that???

You're missing the point, it's more about calling a well respected journalist an idiot based off 40 seconds off one single video, than how you prefer to consume your news

LOL, again, here is the opening dialogue:

"A Judge has ordered a special prosecutor in the Jussie Smolett case. (I think he means 'appointed' or 'ordered a special prosecutor appointed') It is not over. Apparently there was a mishandling of how the prosecution was supposed to go. Quick rehash for those who missed the story because it was the biggest story maybe you live under a rock. (that sentence is getting a bit Trump-esq :D) Jussie Smolett was accused of staging a hoax hate crime against himself and boy did it go downhill from there. Eventually he's kicked off his show, his show's getting cancelled but strangely, after 16 felony indictments the charges were dismissed.They called it an alternative, you know, er er dismissal or something like that but in reality it seems like a conflict of interest meant to protect the elites..."

And that's about where I gave up... you can keep your "award winning journalist" thanks :)

Others can make their own minds up about that.

And also:

I should point out that a good argument against my view would have been to highlight something new, insightful that he's put in that video that hasn't been covered in news articles... instead I've got replies/arguments of "but but he's a well respected journalist" and general upset at referring to him as some youtuber[...] I'm more than happy to adjust my view on that but telling me that he's won praise in the past or that I should have heard of him isn't a good argument, it is irrelevant to what I've said.

You're just going around in circles here, telling me yet again that he's a "well respected journalist" is getting a bit comical now. It isn't particularly relevant though...

Soldato
LOL, again, here is the opening dialogue:

What has he said that is so idiotic that you feel the need to label him an idiot ?

Is anything he has said false ? Apart from the under the rock statement but it's basically true because of how big the story was in the states, so big it's made it on a UK computer forum. I can't really see anything he's said that would make anybody think he's an idiot when everything he's said is factual and without forgetting that he's not writing for the wall street journal, he's reporting the news via youtube so can be a little less formal as he's trying to appeal to a massively varying audience

I've got no issue if you don't have the attention span to get past 40 seconds of a youtube video, where the guy is pretty much saying the same as your reuters link first few sentences, I'm asking why you think he's an idiot, which throughout 4 pages of you foaming at the mouth about his "verbal diarrhea" you still haven't actually said exactly why

4 pages of your mental gymnastics because you can't accept being called up on your usual bs, I'm done

Caporegime
I think this sums it up quite well

Somebody makes up a rubbish statement and then somebody else tells you the actual reason?

I've never heard of Tim Pond before a few days ago in this thread. I do not "hate" him...I haven't even watched any of his videos so can't really pass comment other than to re-iterate that news storys are a lot more concise and factual from sites like Reuters than they are from Youtube commentators adding their lengthy opinions on news and monetising it.

Edit - Tim Pool even.

Back
Top Bottom