Fake Jap VW Vans!

penski said:
No - that was just a shortened split. Not a decent, small split at all.

Show me one that's smaller in each direction ;)

I see what you mean, but imo, a shortened split is far better than a awful jap van with a bodykit.

penski said:
It's not about looking better than a split or anything like that. It's a tongue-in-cheek-look-at-my-660cc-diddyvan-with-a-split-front-lolz-et-cetera.

Plus, you don't have to pay the prices that the idiots in the dub scene ***** over old buses.

*n

I doubt that all these owners think their cars are just a tongue in cheek joke, although I do agree, they are a joke. What they are is ugly looking Jap vans with new panels, to crimp the style of the 60's splittys.

There is a good reason you dont pay the prices the dub scene do... they arn't dubs in anyway, shape or form. They are regualr jap diddyvans with a small engine shoe horned between the front seats.

I wish the prices in the VW scene wern't so high, otherwise I'd be driving the Bus I want now, but they keep growing in popularity. There is nothing we can do to keep prices down, as demand rises for these limited classics, so will cost.

Lol at the picture, it isnt quite that extreme.

penski said:
It was a joke, Zip.

But the 'dub' scene is so full of fools that the 'scene tax' on a van like that would probably take it from it's real value (maybe £100?) to about £1,500.

*n

Not full of fools, that is the price they are sold at, just unfortunate. If you don't pay high monye for them, you won't have one, it's pretty simple. I dont like it, but as long as people do pay the high prices, it will keep going up!

Last edited:
Alu_ATC said:
I see what you mean, but imo, a shortened split is far better than a awful jap van with a bodykit.

What's so 'awful' about them? They're japanese? The fact that you don't pay nearly thirty grand for a mint one?

There is a good reason you dont pay the prices the dub scene do... they arn't dubs in anyway, shape or form. They are regualr jap diddyvans with a small engine shoe horned between the front seats.

So falling to bits, having rot-prone metalwork, an asthmatic engine and obscene parts costs are justifications for paying so much...? :/

I wish the prices in the VW scene wern't so high, otherwise I'd be driving the Bus I want now, but they keep growing in popularity. There is nothing we can do to keep prices down, as demand rises for these limited classics, so will cost.

At the end of the day, they're trendy which means that people who want to portray a certain image will fork out £20k+ for a mint split. Unfortunately, this means that everyone in 'the scene' reckons they can justify asking five grand for their rotten bay. Prices will crash. Look what happened to Beetles and Minis - you used to pay a FORTUNE for them.

Now? You can barely give them away.

Just look at the prices of Type 3 Notches over the last few years.

Fridolins too - Five years ago, you could get a good one for £800. Now you're looking at about four grand because they're becoming popular again.

Lol at the picture, it isnt quite that extreme.
It's not far off. :(

Not full of fools, that is the price they are sold at, just unfortunate. If you don't pay high monye for them, you won't have one, it's pretty simple. I dont like it, but as long as people do pay the high prices, it will keep going up!

The dub 'scene' is full of narrow-minded fashionistas who will take out a second mortgage if it means that they can get 'this seasons' accessory or vehicle.

The reality is that you can buy a mint early bay (flat rear lights, the works) out of a local paper for £1,500.

Look at how much the same kind of thing goes for on VZi or The Samba. It's sickening. It is nothing more than an elitist clique artificially raising the prices of their own vehicles so they can pat each other on the back and kid themselves that they were right in forking out ten large for a rusty imported split.

Me?

I'd rather keep eight grand in my pocket and get something like this:

E20yellow.jpg

(behind the koop)
49jlnv8.jpg

E20-4.jpg

*n

diluded purists!
japanesse make excellent copies.Always have.Look at early jap motorbikes.yes they still go.And as for bigging up european classic styling,has anyone seen the last 2 vespas, piaggio spat out?or the megane?
Modern european styling is s**** on these, desperate for something new.out of something old.

This diddyvan will make it so wanna be vw enthusiasts can just chav off, and leave the restoring purists to it.That goes for anyone buying someones vw without doing anything to better it.Just to be cool.Just get one of these jappas as you dont deserve an old one.

penski said:
What's so 'awful' about them? They're japanese? The fact that you don't pay nearly thirty grand for a mint one?

No, whats awful about them is that they look tacky and are trying to look like european vehicle which it is not. I also dislike replica's, and although this clearly isn't one, it still looks plain crap.

penski said:
So falling to bits, having rot-prone metalwork, an asthmatic engine and obscene parts costs are justifications for paying so much...? :/

Sigh, no, they don't all fall to bits, but much like any other 30, 40, 50 year old classic, they get rust. As most enthusaists know, Buses are prone to rust. However, they did well to get this far, notice the lack of jap vans? There are lots of reasons for this, not just rusting alone, but you get my point.

penski said:
At the end of the day, they're trendy which means that people who want to portray a certain image will fork out £20k+ for a mint split. Unfortunately, this means that everyone in 'the scene' reckons they can justify asking five grand for their rotten bay. Prices will crash. Look what happened to Beetles and Minis - you used to pay a FORTUNE for them.

Now? You can barely give them away.

Yes, it's sad that they are so expensive, I think I highlighted that in my previous posts. True, prices are ridicolous for rotten bays, and even worse for splits. Yes, its because they are trendy. Being a VW Bus enthusiast, I can't avoid that now can I? As to whether prices will crash, I'm not so sure. Yes, Beetles crashed (and for good reason too imo), but I'm not sure Buses will suffer the same fate to such a big degree. If they do crash, hopefully I'll be able to afford one.

penski said:
Just look at the prices of Type 3 Notches over the last few years.

Fridolins too - Five years ago, you could get a good one for £800. Now you're looking at about four grand because they're becoming popular again.

It's not far off. :(.

That's the nature of 'in' cars, unfortunatly, they all go up in price! Doesn't mean its right, doesn't mean it makes sense, but its a fact.

penski said:
The dub 'scene' is full of narrow-minded fashionistas who will take out a second mortgage if it means that they can get 'this seasons' accessory or vehicle.

The reality is that you can buy a mint early bay (flat rear lights, the works) out of a local paper for £1,500.

It's a shame you tarr us all with the same brush. I want one Bus and it to be one way only - but becauses it's a fasionable vehicle, people get the impression that we are all like that, which we are not. As for bargains, yes, they are still out there.

penski said:
Look at how much the same kind of thing goes for on VZi or The Samba. It's sickening. It is nothing more than an elitist clique artificially raising the prices of their own vehicles so they can pat each other on the back and kid themselves that they were right in forking out ten large for a rusty imported split.

Me?

I'd rather keep eight grand in my pocket and get something like this:

*Pics of Jap vans

*n

No, they are not all part of an elitist clique. Some inevitably see it this way, but the fact is, that is the current cost. If you want one, and I mean, really want one, the only way is to fork out money! Why the same point?! Nothing we can do about the prices until / if it dies down!

penski said:
Or if you really want to give them all the finger as you roll into Big Bang, something like this

Give who the finger? I'm sure that you've been to a few VW shows, in which case you should know that there will be far too many people interested in VW buses to give a toss about a Jap van, whether it has Fuch's or not. Also, I've found the VW scene to be amongst the friendliest classic car scene's there are.

Pulling up in that won't make you look 'oh so alternative' and 'stick one up at them, I'm not driving a Volkswagen', there are plenty of other cars other than VW's at these shows, so a brown jap van wouldn't really be all that shocking - if anything, it probably wouldn't get noticed. I also doubt many would care about what kind of power its putting out, the design of the Hiace isnt all that special either, but thats all in the eye of the beholder.

Don't understand all this arguing when it comes to classic vehicles, if you want a Nissan van, fine. If you want a VW Bus, fine. This thread was about a Jap van trying to look like a VW, maybe admitting that Jap vans look awful?

Mrchu_ said:
diluded purists!
japanesse make excellent copies.Always have.Look at early jap motorbikes.yes they still go.And as for bigging up european classic styling,has anyone seen the last 2 vespas, piaggio spat out?or the megane?
Modern european styling is s**** on these, desperate for something new.out of something old.

This diddyvan will make it so wanna be vw enthusiasts can just chav off, and leave the restoring purists to it.That goes for anyone buying someones vw without doing anything to better it.Just to be cool.Just get one of these jappas as you dont deserve an old one.

I dont really know what your even going on about. If that's an 'excellent copy', then I'd hate to see a bad one. European classic styling, some good, some bad. But, why are you then comparing that against modern european styling? Also, all the european car's you've mentioned arn't german, and I'd say modern german styling is pretty good.

The megane has little to do with a a split screen bus from the 50's / 60's, does it? As for something new out of something old, 60's shapes are popular atm, hence manufacturers trying to copy the old. Isn't the case with german cars though.

That's exactly what the diddyvan is, a 'wannabe', not an alternative to a VW Bus. I'm not a restoring purist, there are all types of enthusiasts in the VW scene. So, let me get this straight, if you don't modify an original example of a car, you dont deserve one, so buy an original example of a Jap van, and modify that instead? What on earth are you talking about?

Not everyone wants to change the original appearance of the cars, other's do. To say we're all the same is just bull. As for the diddyvan, a bad imitation of a great design, but just incase people are worried, thats 'IMO'. ;)

Alu_ATC said:
I dont really know what your even going on about.

oh come on! read my post out clearly poss slowly to ones self

Alu_ATC said:
If that's an 'excellent copy', then I'd hate to see a bad one. European classic styling, some good, some bad. But, why are you then comparing that against modern european styling?

im showing examples of modernism.the piaggio was a better example and thats not german.but is still alive today and is absolutely crap

the vw was european?

the repro although not a purists exact,will do its job.....getting chavvy wannabees into something that wont break down or has bits so they can get it fixed.If what your saying is that theyre soooo ugly they wont even appeal to the chavs, then my friend you know little about marketing.im also saying these are excellent repros and you havnt named ANYTHING else that betters it.These jap repros, will get rid off the parts hording wannabes and leave purist owners to do the job of restoring old things.

edit these could possibly one day end up being collectors items. :eek:

Do these still remove both legs in a head on,even if they kinda look like theyre vw?

Last edited:
Mrchu_ said:
oh come on! read my post out clearly poss slowly to ones self?

Another great example of readable english.

Mrchu_ said:
im showing examples of modernism.the piaggio was a better example and thats not german.but is still alive today and is absolutely crap

the vw was european?

Right... ok. Yes, the VW is european, considering Germany is in Europe. I do believe that the Bay Window was designed in conjunction with british designers.

Mrchu_ said:
the repro although not a purists exact,will do its job.....?

It's job is to make a Jap van look better, and that is all in the eye of the beholder. No, it is far from a 'purists exact', it lacks being a VW for a start...

Mrchu_ said:
getting chavvy wannabees into something that wont break down or has bits so they can get it fixed

Really? And this is based on your fantastic market research is it? Didn't know that this japanese company aimed at the british 'chav' market, or that it was aimed to be a replacement for the original VW Bus. :rolleyes:

Mrchu_ said:
If what your saying is that theyre soooo ugly they wont even appeal to the chavs, then my friend you know little about marketing.

Erm, that isn't what I'm saying at all. I did say:

Alu_ATC said:
I think it looks horrific, it'll be interesting to see the irony if people love these, when so often chav'd up cars you see in the Daily Pics thread are torn apart. This is just the same, it takes a nasty japanese design and attempts to copy one of the best designed vans (of its time) in the world extremely badly.

I did not say that these won't appeal to 'chav's', I said it looks like a 'chav'd' up car you would see in the Daily Pics section. You know little about typing english, but I'm trying my best to get your point.

Mrchu_ said:
im also saying these are excellent repros and you havnt named ANYTHING else that betters it.

Didn't know I was supposed to be naming alternatives to repro VW Buses. However, I think a Jap van with a bodykit isnt an excellent one tbh. Gets yourself a T25 or something, no, its not a replica, but they're still cheap and can be tinkered with just like any other VW. Personally, I don't think any of the stuff posted in this thread 'betters' the original design of the Bus.

Mrchu_ said:
These jap repros, will get rid off the parts hording wannabes and leave purist owners to do the job of restoring old things.

Really? This is a fake jap VW Bus revolution coming to Britain, is it? Funny how these have been around since I've been into VW's and yet I still see the VW scene growing in strength and popularity. So, maybe do some market research of your own, eh?

Mrchu_ said:
edit these could possibly one day end up being collectors items. :eek:

If they do, rofl.

Mrchu_ said:
Do these still remove both legs in a head on,even if they kinda look like theyre vw?

Them looking like VW's wont change anything about the properties of the vehicle.

Hope thats cleared a few things up, I'm still waiting a reply from Penski, maybe it will never come. Remember, this is all personal opinion, I have nothing against jap vans or otherwise, but I do dislike jap vans trying to be VW's. ;)

Last edited:
Alu_ATC said:
No, whats awful about them is that they look tacky and are trying to look like european vehicle which it is not. I also dislike replica's, and although this clearly isn't one, it still looks plain crap.

Looks are subjective - I think they look quite cute.

Sigh, no, they don't all fall to bits, but much like any other 30, 40, 50 year old classic, they get rust. As most enthusaists know, Buses are prone to rust. However, they did well to get this far, notice the lack of jap vans? There are lots of reasons for this, not just rusting alone, but you get my point.
A combination of few being made and even fewer being exported ;)

Yes, it's sad that they are so expensive, I think I highlighted that in my previous posts. True, prices are ridicolous for rotten bays, and even worse for splits. Yes, its because they are trendy. Being a VW Bus enthusiast, I can't avoid that now can I? As to whether prices will crash, I'm not so sure. Yes, Beetles crashed (and for good reason too imo), but I'm not sure Buses will suffer the same fate to such a big degree. If they do crash, hopefully I'll be able to afford one.
They will - it's an oft-repeated pattern in niche automotive values.

It's a shame you tarr us all with the same brush. I want one Bus and it to be one way only - but becauses it's a fasionable vehicle, people get the impression that we are all like that, which we are not. As for bargains, yes, they are still out there.
Please show me where I said 'all dub fans'. I'd quite like to see it.

Perhaps if you read what I have posted rather than what you want to read then you would realise that I said that the 'dub scene' is 'full of' the types of people that I mentioned. I did not say that everyone was a pillock...Only about 95% of them.

No, they are not all part of an elitist clique. Some inevitably see it this way, but the fact is, that is the current cost. If you want one, and I mean, really want one, the only way is to fork out money! Why the same point?! Nothing we can do about the prices until / if it dies down!
Christ...Have you seen The Samba's forums? If you and your car/van/bus don't fit in with their pre-determined scene ideals then you certainly will not be made welcome. This is why I subscribe to the Hoodride ethos - **** politics, **** cliques, **** 'looks'; just enjoy your car and those of others.

Furthermore the 'scene tax' applied by those within the 'scene' is proof incarnate of their desire to keep prices artificially high. If my local rag had mint bays for £8k instead of £2k then you would have a point. As it stands, the scene is artificially maintaining high-prices so that they can convince themselves that they were justified in forking out so much for an old van.

It is one of the most politically-driven, clique-ridden scenes around and that disgusts me. Whatever happened to going to a show and enjoying some good cars, good talk and having a good time?

Give who the finger? I'm sure that you've been to a few VW shows, in which case you should know that there will be far too many people interested in VW buses to give a toss about a Jap van, whether it has Fuch's or not. Also, I've found the VW scene to be amongst the friendliest classic car scene's there are.
An old friend (a long-standing dub-fiend who currently owns a 21-window, a pre-A 356 and a Zwitter) of mine took me to my first dub show years ago. His bus was undergoing a full resto at the time and he was using a Commer camper as a daily and weekend driver. It was what you'd call resto-cal before resto-cal had become cool:

commercoasterlg4.jpg

Imagine that, painted a dark beige colour, scraping the ground and rolling on chrome Torq-Thrust Ds with full accessories.

All weekend he got nothing but stick for daring to go to a dub show (to enjoy dubs) in a non-VW camper.

*n

penski said:
Looks are subjective - I think they look quite cute.

Have I not said all along that this is 'imo'?

penski said:
A combination of few being made and even fewer being exported ;)

Good reason for few being made and fewer being exported. ;)

penski said:
They will - it's an oft-repeated pattern in niche automotive values.

Time will tell, like I said before, I hope they do within the next 5 years.

penski said:
Please show me where I said 'all dub fans'. I'd quite like to see it.

Perhaps if you read what I have posted rather than what you want to read then you would realise that I said that the 'dub scene' is 'full of' the types of people that I mentioned. I did not say that everyone was a pillock...Only about 95% of them.

Meh, not 'all dub fans', but then I wouldn't expect that. Instead, you did say 'The dub 'scene' is full of narrow-minded fashionistas', and you have said above that 95% are pillocks. A nice percentage you have conjured to justify your point. If I was reading what I wanted to read, I'd hope you'd be able to see the difference between vans. Like I posted earlier, if you want a Jap van, fine, if you want a VW Bus, fine... these are Jap vans trying to look like VW's, a different kettle of fish.

penski said:
Christ...Have you seen The Samba's forums? If you and your car/van/bus don't fit in with their pre-determined scene ideals then you certainly will not be made welcome. This is why I subscribe to the Hoodride ethos - **** politics, **** cliques, **** 'looks'; just enjoy your car and those of others.

Yes, I have seen their forums, the picture of the blue and white spliity I posted on page one is from the samba's gallery's. You can say '**** politics, **** cliques, **** 'looks', but you yourself are getting involved in politics with it right now, and do often in these forums. Looks are subjective, so '**** looks' means very little and your are part of a clique with hoodride, whether you like it or not.

penski said:
Furthermore the 'scene tax' applied by those within the 'scene' is proof incarnate of their desire to keep prices artificially high. If my local rag had mint bays for £8k instead of £2k then you would have a point. As it stands, the scene is artificially maintaining high-prices so that they can convince themselves that they were justified in forking out so much for an old van.

You keep going on about the prices. I get the point. They are high. How many times have I said that is true and its a bad thing... quite a few, have a look back.

penski said:
It is one of the most politically-driven, clique-ridden scenes around and that disgusts me. Whatever happened to going to a show and enjoying some good cars, good talk and having a good time?

That's exactly what I do when I do go to these shows, enjoy good cars, good talk and having a good time. Don't care if people show up in other cars. You were saying yourself that you want to go into Bug Jam, and 'stick one at them' going in a brown Hiace, arn't you being political and just as pathetic as your claiming these VW people are? Thought you didnt care about that stuff and just wantd a good time... two way street you know.

penski said:
An old friend (a long-standing dub-fiend who currently owns a 21-window, a pre-A 356 and a Zwitter) of mine took me to my first dub show years ago. His bus was undergoing a full resto at the time and he was using a Commer camper as a daily and weekend driver. It was what you'd call resto-cal before resto-cal had become cool:

Imagine that, painted a dark beige colour, scraping the ground and rolling on chrome Torq-Thrust Ds with full accessories.

All weekend he got nothing but stick for daring to go to a dub show (to enjoy dubs) in a non-VW camper.

*n

I can't speak for your mate, but there are plenty of examples of this happening in all classic car ownership. I personally couldn't care less what you decide to drive, if your having fun, great. May be you should go to a show now, might be different. Try something like Volksfest. But, if we're going to make this relevant to the thread, you can't seriosuly be saying that an alternative to a bus is a jap van with a body kit (whether it looks good or not)? Why not just pick up one of these bargain vans in the small adds you were talking about?

Last edited:
Alu_ATC said:
you can't seriosuly be saying that an alternative to a bus is a jap van with a body kit (whether it looks good or not)? Why not just pick up one of these bargain vans in the small adds you were talking about?

Why not, both are classics, one is just hyped up and has a bigger european following than the other.

Firestar_3x said:
Why not, both are classics, one is just hyped up and has a bigger european following than the other.

You're not saying these diddy vans are classics are you? ...becuase if you are, I feel that I don't really have much more to say. The bargain vans I was talking about are still VW's, just the cheap ones penski has found in the adds. If you find a cheap good one, why complain?

Back
Top Bottom