Fallout TV series being developed by Amazon

Associate
really enjoying it so far, watching episode 5 later but its a bit annoying that each episode has gotten shorter and shorter, something that bugged me with The Witcher series too, episode length up and down like a yoyo.

Soldato
really enjoying it so far, watching episode 5 later but its a bit annoying that each episode has gotten shorter and shorter, something that bugged me with The Witcher series too, episode length up and down like a yoyo.
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's correct that episodes should be different lengths. They were only ever fixed to fit into the TV time schedule.
Now they're as long as they need to be.

Man of Honour
Just found the original score has been put on youtube from the record label.

Amazon really did a great job with the licensed and original score for this. Although, let's be honest, for the licensed music they had a good research well from the games licensed tracks.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watched the first couple and struggling a bit with it and understanding the factions and what's going on. Fallout was a game series I ignored and I'm sure I'd enjoy it more with the gaming experience behind me. Pretty much only watching it now for the excellent soundtrack and deciding if I play the game.

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed it. At times I did think it went a little too wacky/slapstick though. Balancing seriousness and comedy in film/TV is always difficult and very easy to **** up.

On the whole though, I think it captured the atmosphere of the games fairly well. I liked how characters would often stumble upon some crazy/eccentric dude in the Wasteland. Felt very Bethesda :p.

I thought Walter Goggins was well cast. He looked great as a Ghoul.

Weirdly I thought some of the editing was amateurish. Some very dodgy quick fades of picture and music on occasion. You have to let a scene and the music breath a bit sometimes. Some of the cuts and transitions were jarring, which is surprising for such a high profile/big budget series.

Definitely looking forward to season 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
I liked some of the small things that you wouldn't notice usually, but then a robot catches your eye when Ghoul is looking back.

The bear reminded me of the mutant bear in Annihilation

Overall it was a good subwoofer banging, easy on the brain first series that has scored well on IMDB and I expect it to continue scoring well.

Role on series 2

Soldato
Weirdly I thought some of the editing was amateurish. Some very dodgy quick fades of picture and music on occasion. You have to let a scene and the music breath a bit sometimes. Some of the cuts and transitions were jarring, which is surprising for such a high profile/big budget series.
I’ve felt this too. It’s almost like the person doing it just shrugs and thinks ‘that’ll do’.

Soldato
This is far better than anything Marvel/Disney have up with on TV for years. I haven't played the games, but i'm familiar with the aesthetic from Bioshock though and I really enjoy that particular art style. I'm about halfway through so I don't know if they're going to dig into the Lore, I want to know what happened between the war and the present.

Associate
Why does that bother you?
i just think i prefer 90's/ 2000 way of doing tv shows (Stargate, Farscape etc) where you'd get 20 40/45min episodes depending on the show, every 3/4th episode is the main season story arc and those in between are like the 'side quest' episodes fleshing out the world/ galaxy/ universe (in the case of sci-fi).

don't get me wrong i still do really enjoy shows these days that are only 45min-1 hour 10 episode seasons, i just feel i miss out on the world building a bit when there's much shorter episodes in what are seasons now half as long as they used to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
i just think i prefer 90's/ 2000 way of doing tv shows (Stargate, Farscape etc) where you'd get 20 40/45min episodes depending on the show, every 3/4th episode is the main season story arc and those in between are like the 'side quest' episodes fleshing out the world/ galaxy/ universe (in the case of sci-fi).

don't get me wrong i still do really enjoy shows these days that are only 45min-1 hour 10 episode seasons, i just feel i miss out on the world building a bit when there's much shorter episodes in what are seasons now half as long as they used to be.

That's nothing to do with different episode lengths though is it? As someone else pointed out what we're getting now is a 45min or a 55min episode, where they're not 10-15min of filler so it's hits the 60min mark. What you're talking about is a much longer format and world building, which is a different thing altogether, it would be great to have much longer format shows, with proper world building, but they have enough talented people and enough good material to make that happen.

Let's face it modern TV shows have enough trouble filling 6-10 hours, and a lot of is dragged out into walking and fetch quest simulator - and a lot of shows are just whole lot of nothing from start to finish.

Caporegime
I don't miss the endless filler of 90's 20+ episode seasons personally. I also like that streaming allows episodes to be as long as they need to be rather than having to fit it into a fixed slot. They don't really get shorter over the season either, there is a couple of shorter ones but they're in the middle

Last edited:
Associate
That's nothing to do with different episode lengths though is it? As someone else pointed out what we're getting now is a 45min or a 55min episode, where they're not 10-15min of filler so it's hits the 60min mark. What you're talking about is a much longer format and world building, which is a different thing altogether, it would be great to have much longer format shows, with proper world building, but they have enough talented people and enough good material to make that happen.

Let's face it modern TV shows have enough trouble filling 6-10 hours, and a lot of is dragged out into walking and fetch quest simulator - and a lot of shows are just whole lot of nothing from start to finish.
well it does, i guess saying 'annoying' came in a bit too strong, probably more like a minor issue. i just like to go in knowing im getting 40 mins or an hours content each episode (personal preference), not i guess losing/ missing up to maybe 20 minutes compared to the first episode (and honestly, i dont mind a bit of filler). i understand an episodes length is as long as it needs to be to tell the story it has to and that we've moved from the times where an episode has to fit into a slotted TV schedule, its just a minor issue i have with some shows these days, it doesn't take away from me enjoying what we're given and im thrilled its already been green-lit for a second season. ill leave it at that so we dont go off-topic.

Back
Top Bottom