• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
@LtMatt Uploading a video to YT now. I'll post it when it's fully processed
Thanks Klunt, I appreciate it.

If you have a 3080 or a card with less than 10GB.

Watch from 16mins and 30 secs, seems the 3080 is not loading all the textures in due to the vram limit. So maybe 10GB is not enough on this game. OR the game needs checking why it's not using the full 10GB of VRAM, maybe a bug or an AMD special feature ? Well time for popcorn on this one.

HD Textures requires 12gb or move of video memory, already confirmed by the developer and multiple media outlets who have done any sort of in-depth testing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

HD Textures requires 12gb or move of video memory, already confirmed by the developer and multiple media outlets who have done any sort of in-depth testing.
Didn’t the same developers/publishers say 11GB was needed for Watch Dogs Legion? They then later said 10 was enough :cry:

Caporegime
Games that most people can't play at ultra should be the norm in my opinion. In fact there should be extra settings above ultra.
Look at the stink created because the game has an optional texture pack that can be downloaded to improve image quality.

Can you imagine if multiple games had even more demanding settings and requirements?

We'd have salty enthusiasts all over the gaff. :D

Soldato

Yes but why is the game limiting it to 8GB when there is clearly 2GB more it could use. This makes no sense, seems like an artificial limit on the 3080s, I can understand an 8GB card but there is clearly more VRAM it could have used and not being used too.

Soldato
I was referring more to the issues you mentioned with your 3070 :p A 3070 should not be having issues even when using as low settings as you described and with FSR etc. Having looked at youtube though, a 3070 seems to perform ok even when using higher settings so there must be something contributing to the issues you're having, cpu, ram etc.??? Maybe it might even be w11.... Still, I stand by the point that there are plenty of games out there that look just as good or better and run far far far better and people can't blame RT for the questionable performance this time round given it is severely limited.
It's only been out 3 days and they're not complaining about RT it's vram.:p

I'm thinking W11, I'll find out more when I get it back to W10.

Games are subjective though, you rant on about CP but it's got worse textures in places than FC 3 never mind 6, not to mention the issues it still has, but if you like it you like it.:p

I didn't like FC5 at all mostly because of the setting/colouring, but plenty liked it.

FC4 is my fave and only completed FC out of all of them, this one is back to that art direction, I liked how this one played well until it doesn't, so hopefully it gets fixed one way or another.:)

Associate
3090fe and 10700k, 32gb 3200 ram.
Doesn’t matter if I’m at low settings or ultra. full HD pack or not. FSR on or off.
Getting regular stutters where the GPU clock rate is jumping all over.

Can hear the slight coil whine alter with the stutters.

only game so far that I’ve encountered this problem.

however it isn’t worth playing without the Hd pack on. It looks much worse than far cry 5 without it.

Soldato
Look at the stink created because the game has an optional texture pack that can be downloaded to improve image quality.

Can you imagine if multiple games had even more demanding settings and requirements?

We'd have salty enthusiasts all over the gaff. :D

Yeah I don't understand the problem. I sometimes play old games and my GPU is close to idle at max settings. Instead we have to rely on 3rd party modders to improve the graphics of old games. Sometimes the developer releases a remaster. Many settings above ultra would negate that

Caporegime

If you have a 3080 or a card with less than 10GB.

Watch from 16mins and 30 secs, seems the 3080 is not loading all the textures in due to the vram limit. So maybe 10GB is not enough on this game. OR the game needs checking why it's not using the full 10GB of VRAM, maybe a bug or an AMD special feature ? Well time for popcorn on this one.

So basically what I have been saying this whole time then..... :p ;) :D There "appears" to be an issue with the game and the vram management, at least it seems to affect nvidia cards more it seems (although more on that further down below....), so over to ubi and/or nvidia to resolve it now ;) Who knows, maybe when they fix/improve whatever the issue is, amd cards will utilise the full 16GB vram....

Consoles also having micro stuttering, fps drops and texture loading issues despite people saying they will be fine because "16GB vram"..... He also said he was having issues with textures not loading/micro stuttering on all configurations of pc/3090.....

I had forgotten about all micro stutter etc. issues with games prior to FC 5, FC 3 ****** me of big time as no matter what, it would have annoying stutter every where, absolute ball ache.

But as per usual, a great in depth look into games graphical features etc. and just goes to show how consoles still have to compromise on settings and resolution to maintain 60 fps.

Games that most people can't play at ultra should be the norm in my opinion. In fact there should be extra settings above ultra.

Yup most definitely is a shame we are held back.

It's only been out 3 days and they're not complaining about RT it's vram.:p

I'm thinking W11, I'll find out more when I get it back to W10.

Games are subjective though, you rant on about CP but it's got worse textures in places than FC 3 never mind 6, not to mention the issues it still has, but if you like it you like it.:p

I didn't like FC5 at all mostly because of the setting/colouring, but plenty liked it.

FC4 is my fave and only completed FC out of all of them, this one is back to that art direction, I liked how this one played well until it doesn't, so hopefully it gets fixed one way or another.:)

Yup, standard for pc release tbf, give it a couple of patches and it'll be fine :p

TBF to CP, those "texture" issues are/were actually LOD issues (back when it first came out, we could manually edit the LOD in a config file so textures would load in further away) and are pretty much fixed now, that and I can forgive it lacking in some areas given the sheer scale, density of the city and the amount of NPCs compared to pretty empty worlds ;)

Funnily I despised FC 4 :p FC 3 was my fav followed by 5 (love that kind of setting), also enjoyed primal as was good different.

Even though RT is held back, still makes a nice difference overall to the game:

Caporegime
Yes but why is the game limiting it to 8GB when there is clearly 2GB more it could use. This makes no sense, seems like an artificial limit on the 3080s, I can understand an 8GB card but there is clearly more VRAM it could have used and not being used too.
How do you know it is the game limiting it?

We've had 3080 users in this thread confirm that they have seen 9.5GB of actual per app video memory usage after playing more than short sequence of gameplay. cc @stooeh.

According to their (DF) testing it was using almost 9GB on a short test sequence driving around.

I think the reviewer forgot that Windows will be using over 500MB of video memory for the OS, not including any background applications that were running on the system also.

Since the GPU has only 10GB, there's not much left to use is there? And we all know what happens when you need to use system memory instead of video memory.
UbQMSQy.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wouldn't say the game is "limiting" vram usage but more that there is an issue with the "management" side of things i.e. allocation etc. as there are 3080 users seeing up to 10GB used.

Also, 1 hour footage of a guy playing maxed out with no FSR @ 4k, hard to tell about textures as doesn't look best quality recording but certainly no severe fps drops as 2/3 sites have reported (not even in the scene where joker encountered his fps drop to 5....).... which just goes to further show how there is an underlying issue with the game or/and drivers somewhere

Caporegime
For a laugh there just to make sure that I wasn't imagining things with regards to FC 6 looking much the same as far cry new dawn along with the texture pack etc. I just reinstalled and jumped back on and yup just as I thought..... :p :D The game really is still very good looking considering its age and I must admit some of the textures are rather nice, good performance too. 3440x1440 all max and texture pack on vs off:

moqIsqt.jpg

OU2oI7Z.jpg

ZYDHiFo.jpg

ldQ8hNf.jpg

0ZJNdTm.jpg

nEywDIZ.jpg

I1usXUs.jpg

lU7QCfS.jpg

Sadly couldn't get exact frame for frame as had to restart the game for it to take effect hence the difference in colour/lighting too.

Hoping FC 6 price drops soon....

Soldato
I'm shocked that an Nvidia bought-and-paid for outlet like DF spent half the video complaining about the RT but made no mention of FSR at all.

You just can't make this **** up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Caporegime

Is it just me or do a lot of the mud areas look resolution there? I've noticed the same on nvidia based footage too. It's hard to tell what it is though i.e. texture loading issue, the RT low resolution reflection or/and anisotropic filtering? (as noted in DF video, this isn't working for roads so maybe also not working elsewhere?) Also, noticed some frame freezes/stutters happening here too, both issues most noticeable at 22:06

Back
Top Bottom