• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FarCry 3 stutter in SLI

Soldato
Wow right on the 2GB limit!!

It could be linked to the stutter, I'd imagine it's aa/post processing related.

Can someone try this on amd: rename farcry3_dx11..exe to bioshock2.exe and tell me how it runs? Not sure if BS or not but apparently this forces a better cf profile for the game...

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think the game runs too badly in sli personally. Using 310.70.

But there is definitely something up with the vsync setting in this game. Was standing at a point where no matter where I looked I got 70 to 80 fps. Enabled vsync 1 frame, and it would tank to 40.

Was expecting serious mouse lag with vsync 1 on, but it was actually quite responsive.

Vsync 2 frames tanks to 30.

The above were with 0 buffered frames (or whatever it's called)

Caporegime
Don't think the game runs too badly in sli personally. Using 310.70.

But there is definitely something up with the vsync setting in this game. Was standing at a point where no matter where I looked I got 70 to 80 fps. Enabled vsync 1 frame, and it would tank to 40.

Was expecting serious mouse lag with vsync 1 on, but it was actually quite responsive.

Vsync 2 frames tanks to 30.

The above were with 0 buffered frames (or whatever it's called)

Use triple buffering.

Soldato
VSYNC is weird. Try forcing it in NVINSPECTOR instead as well as triple buffering. Even 1-frame lags for me.

If I switch it off, the gameplay is ace, but the cutscenes are awful!

On memory usage, BF3 maxed out has reached 2300MB for me. DX9 sweetfx FC3 hasn't gone above 1500MB

Shame I have 4GB cards!!

Soldato
I remember far cry 2 having terrible stutter issues for months when it first came out, and that was using single cards. I used to run some sort of stutter fix tweaking the ini in some way. Can't remember how exactly, and I think eventually a patch or new drivers sorted it all out.
I too am waiting to play this game for a while. Ive got a hard copy still in the delivery envelope. Not played hitman yet, and waiting for my other 670 issue to get sorted so I can mess about in SLI, and have lots more issues no doubt ;)

*Edit* - just found the tweak I used to use:

Open the console and type:
gfx_maxfps 40

This used to fix the stutter in DX10. No idea if this will work for far cry 3. 40fps was about the max my system could handle at the time so sub that for whatever. Same principle as using Dxtory or Afterburner to limit your max frame rate I guess, but done in game rather than by a third party app.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can play with settings on max at 5760*1080 and VRAM isn't an issue. The stutter is bad at those settings though, in a non playable way.

Try using the MSI AB trick mate. Also put the setting of maximum pre-rendered frames down to 1 - both in-game and in NVINSPECTOR (if you have NV).

When I used to play BF3 at that res, I used to get bad stuttering with trifire. With the MSI AB trick and "renderaheadlimit 1", it became more than playable ;)

Good luck... oh and let me know, as I may be going surround

Soldato
Yes I have 2 HD 7970s hence the quad sli.:D

On a serious note at some point I want to run Far Cry 3 on my HD 7970s to see if the memory usage goes above 2 gbs per GPU. The highest memory usage I have seen at 1600p before this was BF3 which was about 1800mbs per GPU.

Memory is only used on the first GPU when in CrossFire/SLi, so how did you manage that ;)

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
It is a 10 for me :) The stutter wasn't that bad tbh and as I said previous, it wasn't a game breaker. It has been a while since a single player fps has kept me engrossed.

I'm going to see if my rubbish camera can pick up the stutter in my game (possibly worse than the top video)

What i would call game breaking unfortunately. Annoyingly it works flawlessly on my brothers computer, albeit on medium/high.

Back
Top Bottom