• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FarCry 3 stutter in SLI

Caporegime
OP
I'm going to see if my rubbish camera can pick up the stutter in my game (possibly worse than the top video)

What i would call game breaking unfortunately. Annoyingly it works flawlessly on my brothers computer, albeit on medium/high.

Ahhh that sux bro. I lowered settings to medium and it was sitting 60-70 and only slightly stuttering (more of a micro stutter). It felt like it was skipping frames badly when I had it on max detail and I expected it to be smoother at 45fps.

Soldato
Right this is the thing i don't get that at all with my rig.
I just get slow down in certain areas and the feeling that the game/character
feels kind of loose if anyone gets what i mean.
That's on my benq with everything maxed out and no v-sync

Associate
I'm experiencing this "micro stutter" problem on my single 7950. I've only played the game once so I haven't had chance to play with settings at all.

I'll definitely give the MSI AB trick a go and limit to 60 fps to see if it helps.

I really don't know what the cause is though, it's not like I'm using crossfire? The only way I can describe it as if it's missing a frame completely, I suffer no drops in fps.

Caporegime
One thing i found which causes stutter is using a FPS cap.

I play with Vsync on 1 buffer, gpu render ahead 1 and full ultra with 0xaa and there is no stutter whatsoever.

If i use an fps limit in afterburner of 58 (my typical fps cap) then suddenly i have tiny micro stutter.

I guess this must be a multi gpu issue only.

Man of Honour
One thing i found which causes stutter is using a FPS cap.

I play with Vsync on 1 buffer, gpu render ahead 1 and full ultra with 0xaa and there is no stutter whatsoever.

If i use an fps limit in afterburner of 58 (my typical fps cap) then suddenly i have tiny micro stutter.

I guess this must be a multi gpu issue only.

I know the FPS will be unplayable but could you try msaa = 8 with all the settings maxed @1440p. What I am interested in is the vram usage. I managed to use 2gbs of vram @1600p but I don't know if the game wanted more.

Caporegime
I know the FPS will be unplayable but could you try msaa = 8 with all the settings maxed @1440p. What I am interested in is the vram usage. I managed to use 2gbs of vram @1600p but I don't know if the game wanted more.

Just ran it at 1440p, Ultra and 8xAA.

Vram usage was at 2.2Gig. I played up until you buy the M1 Pistol after you get the Tatu. I imagine the vram usage will get higher once you hit the open world. :)

Soldato
Found a helpful post on steam about getting this game smooth...in short dx11+msaa is broken, play in dx9 with no aa and use a frame limiter to have zero stutter.

Broken dx11, reminds me of arkham city :p

Caporegime
Found a helpful post on steam about getting this game smooth...in short dx11+msaa is broken, play in dx9 with no aa and use a frame limiter to have zero stutter.

Broken dx11, reminds me of arkham city :p

That could explain why its super smooth for me at 1440p Ultra DX11 as i dont have AA on as i can't tell the image quality difference between 0xaa and 8xaa but i certainly notice the fps hit.

Just use one 7970 for now pgi until the problem gets fixed. No need to go back to DX9.

Man of Honour
Just ran it at 1440p, Ultra and 8xAA.

Vram usage was at 2.2Gig. I played up until you buy the M1 Pistol after you get the Tatu. I imagine the vram usage will get higher once you hit the open world. :)

Sounds like nothing less than 3gbs on the next generation of cards will do when they launch next year.

Soldato
New update downloading for this now, 269mb, any ideas to what it is?

Just managed to get d3doverrider working too (open it with web browser closed it works?) :D

maybe JUST MAYBE I may be able to play this in DX11, in CF, without a slideshow :o

If I get it running I'm going to measure vram usage too.

Edit: V1.03

----------------------------------------------
General fixes for the patch:
----------------------------------------------

- Added Russian and Czech language support for Steam versions.
- Fixed issues for machines that have more than 32 cores.
- Fixed issues for activation keys bundled with ULC privileges. ULC content will now unlock during activation.
- Improvements to playlists and rotation for User Made maps.

So it will work on a machine with 32 cores, just not one with two graphic cores....well played ubi.

Edit 2: OMG IT ALMOST WORKS!!

Edit 3: Managed 2.5GB vram usage at 1080p....unless I'm reading it wrong that is :(:p

Edit 4: Yep forgot how CF reads out memory usage, managed to peak it at 1600mb in single card with an 8xmsaa HBAO stutter orgy. ALMOST playable in DX11, single card, 0xmsaa, pre-render disabled, HDAO, triple buffering. still doesn't feel smooth though :(

Last edited:
Associate
GTX 680 SLI here, no stutter on 310.70

I have:

-MSI AB capping at 62fps (sounds weird I know considering vsync caps at 60 but for some strange reason this eliminated some minor stuttering that I get in games)
-Vsync on
-DX11
-SSAO
-2x MSAA
-2560x1440 res
-All on max except PostFX which is on low and water on medium (god knows why but water seems to tax FPS for me).

Running @ 60fps majority of the time.

Sometimes I wonder if the stuttering on SLI/CF is down to luck.

Associate
I get a lot of microstutter in FC3 with my 680, it seems to happen anytime it dips just below 60fps. Makes the game unenjoyable and unplayable.

Back
Top Bottom