Faulty TV and John Lewis

Soldato
I thought JL RS pricematching is dead as they provide different warranty lengths, so aren't like-for-like deals to match?
Depends. RS seem to look for 'similar' warranties. I had one which I tried to get RS to match on a 1 year warranty vs. their 6 year, and they refused, but then I found one with a 5 year warranty vs. their 6 year, and they accepted it, and knocked another tenner off their competitor's price.

Soldato
Is this an XD93 by any chance?

Should have contacted Sony rather than JL - I had an engineer round in three days who replaced the part onsite in half an hour.

Soldato
Here is the breakdown of the JL warranty I got with my TV.

Our guarantee provides:
ONz5C73AA-FOFxpT01nUykMroz_vY-lOrYIRo0Q79KOhMH8vB6aCpMI0fGdvODBL61VL__-lsSscmB_wy4cQflxKrX1iA5YkJcc4sCCLzc3bfYJSPYQnTAUBbQGG=s0-d-e1-ft
A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for the period stated above
ONz5C73AA-FOFxpT01nUykMroz_vY-lOrYIRo0Q79KOhMH8vB6aCpMI0fGdvODBL61VL__-lsSscmB_wy4cQflxKrX1iA5YkJcc4sCCLzc3bfYJSPYQnTAUBbQGG=s0-d-e1-ft
A repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product

Repair services provided by authorised service technicians

If we can't repair your item, we'll replace it with an item of equivalent specification. If no equivalent product is available we'll discuss an alternative settlement with you, and we'll always do our best to make sure that you're satisfied with the outcome

Occasionally, we may ask you to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us

Our guarantee excludes:
Repairs due to breakdown caused by use other than domestic by you or family

Deliberate damage to or neglect of the product

Consumer replaceable items including, but not limited to, batteries, light bulbs and other consumables

Cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust

The unblocking of drainage channels in refrigeration products

Work relating to a manufacturer's recall of the product

Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product or any loss other than the repair or the replacement cost of the product

Frozen food loss as a result of the product breaking down

Accidental damage, servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the insured product

Failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and/or installation guidelines

Deliberate damage or neglect of the insured product

Please note we reserve the right to charge for the expense of a service call, when no fault has been found with the product on inspection

Soldato
55XD9305 yes

You're right, it's a known fault with early sets. Sony have now revised the board which is at fault.

The engineer who came to fix mine knew exactly what was wrong and had the part with him. I actually pursued the issue through both Sony and John Lewis and they both ended up booking the same third-party repair company who were well aware of the issue. I'm surprised the engineer you got wasn't aware of the problem and didn't come prepared to replace the part.

Whilst JL have fulfilled their legal obligations, I'd be asking them why it was necessary to take the set away and why the engineer they used wasn't aware of this very common fault.

Associate
OP
You're right, it's a known fault with early sets. Sony have now revised the board which is at fault.

The engineer who came to fix mine knew exactly what was wrong and had the part with him. I actually pursued the issue through both Sony and John Lewis and they both ended up booking the same third-party repair company who were well aware of the issue. I'm surprised the engineer you got wasn't aware of the problem and didn't come prepared to replace the part.

Whilst JL have fulfilled their legal obligations, I'd be asking them why it was necessary to take the set away and why the engineer they used wasn't aware of this very common fault.
Okay at least it shouldn't happen again then. I love the TV..

Caporegime
Okay at least it shouldn't happen again then. I love the TV..

I think you were in the wrong to demand a new TV when they are going to repair the TV that you bought.

You buy a TV it stops working. They offered to fix it as it's a known fault and the board is replaced which was at fault.

I don't see what there is to complain about here other than you were being difficult and wanted a new TV out of it.

Had they said the tv was unrepairable and it was a manufacturing fault then I'm sure they would have offered you a tv of similar or better spec or money off a new one if oyu didn't want any of th eones they were offering that matched the spec.

Soldato
Just make sure the TV is returned in the same condition and not scratched or damaged cosmetically. Check the picture and screen very carefully as well for any shadowing/banding or pixel issues etc

As they have taken off site, the slightest thing and you can justify a replacement from John Lewis.

Associate
OP
To update on this.

I am still awaiting a resolution on this. The latest from the independent engineer is that Sony have only sent them one of the replacement parts. After many phonecalls to Sony UK (call based centre abroad who were utterly clueless and asked JL to call them), I have now been told the second part of the replacement for the TV has an ETA of next Thursday which means that it will be another two weekends before the engineer can come and replace. No reason was given why the part wasnt originally sent out (probably because they are all failing and they dont have enough).

I managed to speak to a JL complaints manager who, whilst sympathic said that they had until the 22 March (28 working days) which is effectively 5+ weeks to sort the issue.....before they would offer alternative resolution. At this point I was livid and I told him whats stopping me from buying another TV using it and returning it to JL in two weeks. He said nothing and that I could do that if I wanted. At the end of the call I asked him again to confirm this and that the call was recorded which he said it was.

So I went down to my local JL store and spoke with the manager, explained the situation and told him I wanted to purchase the most expensive TV that JL sold with a view to return it in two weeks, he smiled, I gave him my details and off he went to check the details.

He came back and told me that I couldnt do that as per the Terms and Conditions, despite me explaining the conversation I had with a JL complaints manager.

Anyway in the meantime the store have loaned me another small TV, and I have made a further complaint to the complaints team about the complaints manager...They told me that they would listen to the call and that I should have been offered a loan TV from the onset. When JL ask me for the loan TV back ill tell them 56 days in accordance with my terms and conditions :)

Associate
OP
Mine's failed again. Six days it lasted!

If I were you then I would demand a refund because they have gone down in price. Here is one of the first responses I had from them. You are nearly at #3.

"After this six month period, the parts and labour warranty will continue for the full five-year term. Repairs are reviewed on a case by case basis with regard to economic cost of the repair and overall customer experience. Realistically this means that John Lewis would offer an alternate resolution if there have been three confirmed technical faults requiring replacement of hardware over the five year period that the parts and labour warranty runs."

Associate
OP
I think you were in the wrong to demand a new TV when they are going to repair the TV that you bought.

You buy a TV it stops working. They offered to fix it as it's a known fault and the board is replaced which was at fault.

I don't see what there is to complain about here other than you were being difficult and wanted a new TV out of it.

Had they said the tv was unrepairable and it was a manufacturing fault then I'm sure they would have offered you a tv of similar or better spec or money off a new one if oyu didn't want any of th eones they were offering that matched the spec.

It's not that I want anything other than a quick turn around. Normally JL say that it takes a week from fault to repair, its been nearly 3 now.

Soldato
I have to say i experienced JL cs today and they are probably one of, if not, the best out there. Instant refund and told to just bin the faulty item. Wasn't a tv but cost £200 (year half old). Bit unrelated to the op but just happened to find this thread :)

Soldato
I actually have no issues with JL, they're doing the best they can but, as the TV is under a year old, they're at the mercy of Sony, who are useless, and their nominated repair agent, who is utterly incompetent.

They're going to repair it for a second time but JL have already said that, if it fails again after that, their standard policy is to replace it.

I was not happy when it failed last Friday though, especially as I had people round at the weekend. In a fit of rage I went out on Saturday morning and bought a new 43" TV. That will tide me over in the living room until the main one is fixed, then it'll go into the bedroom to replace the existing 32" Samsung (which is for sale in the MM if anyone's interested)

Associate
OP
Update today. Having been promised a review of the way in which my case has been handled I received an email from John Lewis. It was from another customer services agent who basically referred to our conversation today (we didnt have one) informed me of the process to request copies of call logs). I replied asking him what about what conversation. He then called me left a message, I called back spoke with another agent, who told me that Sony had asked that I contact them for a possible 'uplift' or exchange. Called Sony, they who were clueless and requested that I call john lewis as any uplift number would be disclosed to them. Called back JL stated this, JL called sony, called me back stated that the reason Sony wanted to speak to me was to advise that the ETA on the part was next Thursday......something that I already knew yesterday. Lost my **** at that point because ive been missinformed several times, been given promises of a review of my complaint by one person, its like there is no-one who is willing to listen to my concerns and respond accordingly. I asked how I escalated all of this to a dedicated complaints handler, he said he would escalate and someone would call me back within 48 hours.....round and round in circles... BTW this is a UK call centre. To top this off I am getting to know peoples names now... Early on I asked to escalate to a complaints manager and was passed over to someone who introduced himself as a complaints manager to then find out today that he wasnt a manager... I guess this is a common tactic used.

Back
Top Bottom