Faulty TV and John Lewis

Associate
It's a shame that the screen wasn't faulty on your TV. If this was the case, Sony would have exchanged the full set for a brand new replacement. (They don't replace LCD panels any more). This is usually done in 5 working days. They are actually one of the faster manufacturers when it comes to parts delivery and exchanges.

Soldato
The real pain is that, if you're within the first six months then, after one failed repair, you're entitled to a replacement or full refund, whilst after the first year you're into JL's warranty and I'd wager they'd replace the set more readily than Sony would.

So there's this six month wasteland during which you're at the total mercy of Sony's support :(

Soldato
I have to say, the last time I had to deal with JL over a TV warranty (couple of years ago due to LG buzzing speakers), they were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Took 3 engineer visits and multiple phone calls. At one point they refused to do anything further because the engineers report had said "no further action available", which actually meant there was nothing more he could do to repair the buzzing issue.

In the end after several complaints I managed to get cash towards a new tv, but nowhere near as simple as it has been previously. Would seriously think twice about buying from JL for my next tv.

Associate
OP
To summarise whats happened now: 2 page complaint by me, call from another 'technical support manager' telling me he will read and come back to me. Response by email that doesn't address half of my concerns raised. Tells me in letter that ETA on fix is 10 March 2017.... I also spoke with the manager who told me that they would fully utilise their 28 day repair time even if they missed the 10th date. Coincidentally before this happened I had emailed the Section store manager who called me this afternoon told me that he had looked at the complaint felt I was being misled by the complaints call centre. Told me he had called Sony and it would be another 3 weeks until they would have the part ready offered me a full refund or exchange. WTF. Needless to say I am please but at the same time shocked.

Soldato
so will you get another Sony (this weekend) ? and remain faithful to the brand.

There seems to be too little data in the public domain (maybe not in USA) to make a purchase decision considering reliability, if you want to avoid the inconvenience of breakdowns, or just want the tv to have a residual value after the warranty is up.

No one seems to have made any strong case yet, as to whether RS provide anything very different in their warranty or customer relations management than JL

Soldato
yep it is going to be a dilema, 2017 (inc new Panasonic higher nits oleds) models not yet quite in the shops/reviewed ...

Soldato
So working again now? Strange it wouldn't power on earlier - try a reboot incase it's flaky Android at fault (hold power for 5 seconds).

These sets are flaky as hell, both in terms of dodgy hardware and the infernal Android OS but, when they're working, the picture is a thing of beauty.

Associate
Yep, working just now. I don't really understand it to be honest as it wou,don't power on from the remote but did when I pressed the power button on the set, yet the remote now works perfectly and turns it on and off without issue. I'm hoping it was just having a moment and that's the end of it.

edit - Looks like I was right to have little confidence. TV is dead again :(

Last edited:
Associate
Hi I have a 4year old tv with a fault and jl keep replacing the motherboard to fix the issue. But the issue reoccurres every time. I’ve had 4 boards out in now and still under warranty.
Should this keep happening g or should I be offered a replacement tv?
Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi I have a 4year old tv with a fault and jl keep replacing the motherboard to fix the issue. But the issue reoccurres every time. I’ve had 4 boards out in now and still under warranty.
Should this keep happening g or should I be offered a replacement tv?
Thanks

Yes, replacement or a refund. They've had plenty of opportunities to fix the issue, and obviously can't do so.

Back
Top Bottom