Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread

Man of Honour
IMG-7497.png

Commissario
OP
That's good, it's always good to see free alternatives.

MacUpdater 3 was released a few weeks ago, it can now do updates automatically (although it does warn before you enable it) and it can also handle updates that run a package installer. I've just left it doing its own thing and very rarely need to do anything manually these days.

Associate
Recieved something simmilar to this when I was in Romania. The warning was in Romanian, so naturally I was a bit concerned as I couldn't read it! After getting one of my colleagues to translate, all it pretty much said was "Heatwave forecast, stay hydrated and avoid the sun between 12-3-PM

Soldato
Does anyone know how to keep mounted networked drives…mounted after a reboot?

I mean Windows did this without a hitch with my NAS. However even with Pathfinder (finder replacement) I still have to click on the NAS in the left categories view and then mount the drives. It’s a 10second process essentially.

Other than that I am hugely enjoying being back on OSX. Last version I used was Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I mean Windows did this without a hitch with my NAS. However even with Pathfinder (finder replacement) I still have to click on the NAS in the left categories view and then mount the drives. It’s a 10second process essentially.

Other than that I am hugely enjoying being back on OSX. Last version I used was Snow Leopard.
Automounter.

Soldato

Automounter works fine. If you want something free you can create an automation workflow to mount the drive after startup.

Commissario
OP
Yeah, I’ve always found reattaching to network drives to be a bit hit and miss so I use Automounter as well. Because my NAS shuts down overnight, I have a condition set to ping it first before it tries to connect.

Man of Honour
For SSH sessions, work won't renew my Termius subscription which is a shame, and I'm not prepared to pay for it myself. I'm slowly switching everything over to Royal TSX, and whilst it's not as polished, I get it for free and it does the job.

Soldato
Yeah, I’ve always found reattaching to network drives to be a bit hit and miss so I use Automounter as well. Because my NAS shuts down overnight, I have a condition set to ping it first before it tries to connect.

Not sure how I ended up in here as I was meant to post in that thread!^

Soldato
For SSH sessions, work won't renew my Termius subscription which is a shame, and I'm not prepared to pay for it myself. I'm slowly switching everything over to Royal TSX, and whilst it's not as polished, I get it for free and it does the job.

RoyalTSX has been my go to for so long now, I haven't even thought about trying others. It technically breaks my workplace rules now, so hopefully I get to keep it as otherwise managing sessions is going to be an absolute pain.

Soldato
I'm looking for a ping app, something like pinginfoview but for macOS. Suggestions?
Used Site Monitor in the past but it stopped working a while back so have resorted to using PingInfoView through Porting Kit. There is Ping Uptime Monitor if you just want a pretty GUI but it isn't particularly verbose. Otherwise Ping Plotter but it's likely to be a bit too OTT.

Man of Honour
NordVPN if going to the dirty internet, or WireGuard if I want to VPN to home. In fact, I have WireGuard set to on-demand as soon as I leave my home wifi.

Commissario
OP
In fact, I have WireGuard set to on-demand as soon as I leave my home wifi.
I have WireGuard on MBA and iPhone and I have it configured so that it connects when I'm on cellular or when I'm connected to any WiFi other than my own. Is there a similar option on the macOS version as well?

Back
Top Bottom