FIA Formula E Championship

Soldato
Sorry Acid but hydrogen powered cars are the future not Electric Cars.

I agree, we just need to do a lot more R&D into being able to use it as a fuel before it can really be said to be THE next fuel, but at least its able to be a fill up and go, unlike the current electric charge and wait four year idea.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree, we just need to do a lot more R&D into being able to use it as a fuel before it can really be said to be THE next fuel, but at least its able to be a fill up and go, unlike the current electric charge and wait four year idea.

Hydrogen has lost, fast recharge and high capacity batteries are on their way.
Europe, Japan, USA have already deicde electric has won and that is what the grants and infrastructure is being beguile around.

I haven't thought that way for ever, I made a thread in 2007 about future energies/renewables and I didn't think electric stood a chance. How wrong I was.

Caporegime
I think Hydrogen and Electricity both suffer from the same problems in the real world... they are both complete technological changes that require entire restructuring of the infrastructure. Basically, they are a massive leap.

Massive leaps are high risk.

I'm far more interested in hybrid stuff (of all shapes and sizes). Use internal combustion engines, and petrol, which we are all fammiliar with, but combine them with new technology to slowly, step by step, ween us off a reliance on petrol. A battery hybrid car that you only fill with petrol, but that does 100mpg easy with a 1.0l engine, but has the performance, practicality and (most importantly) price of a normal car is a much better first step.

But like I said, this is crunch time for the FIAs electric formula plans. They have asked manufacturers to put their money where their mouth is. We will just have to wait and see if all the talk actually turns into action.

Man of Honour
OP
I think Hydrogen and Electricity both suffer from the same problems in the real world... they are both complete technological changes that require entire restructuring of the infrastructure. Basically, they are a massive leap.

This is true, but countries have spoken, chosen and are implementing one, not the other.

Caporegime
Got to agree with Skeeter, I don't think a support race next to F1 is the right place for this. As a support race next to GT racing though, it would be far better. Next to F1 it will be completely eclipsed, I don't remember the last time I ever heard anyone say anything about a support race at an F1 weekend but with things like GT racing, the event seems more about the whole weekend and the support races get talked about. Put it next to the loudest, fastest, most showbiz, big time racing Formula that the FIA have to offer and it's just going to look like a damp squib.

I'd also agree that a focus on hybrid cars would be a more useful start, they have a more directly applicable role in the here and now and retain everything that we all love about motor racing. I honestly don't think a bunch of nearly silent cars humming past will excite crowds the same way.

Caporegime
Glaucus, if I read that right, will the FIA be announcing a list of interested manufacturers in April next year?

And as for hybrid tech, Porsche are worth keeping your eye on, as are Williams with their KERS (which is what is in the Porsches). The ACO seem keen on getting hybrids in Le Mans too.

Man of Honour
OP
Glaucus, if I read that right, will the FIA be announcing a list of interested manufacturers in April next year?

Hopfully, they are making a list in April, with interested parties. I expect they will release it publicly but it doesn't say they will.
Did they publicly release the new f1 interested teams?

From that they'll have to go through a similar process of working out who actuall has the resources to get a car on the grid.

Remember EU(as part of their electric car marketing, research and implementation) is pushing the FIA to do this, so I wonder if there's any "grants"

Hybrids seem the sensiable approach ATM, but they aren't. They are a stop gap that will die before they take off. Sure companies can shift small amounts. But by the time they have any thing resembling an indent in market share, electric will be overtaking it and on its way to domination.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hopfully, they are making a list in April, with interested parties. I expect they will release it publicly but it doesn't say they will.
Did they publicly release the new f1 interested teams?

This was what I was wondering. I would be very interested in seeing who has put their name down. But if its like the F1 teams (which werent anounced untill well after the selection was done) then we will likely not get to see :(

Man of Honour
OP
This was what I was wondering. I would be very interested in seeing who has put their name down. But if its like the F1 teams (which werent anounced untill well after the selection was done) then we will likely not get to see :(

Hopfully they'll go public themselves.
One has already said they are interested. Cant remeber name Green gt looking car, which holds the record 160mph iirc.

Fond tech I assume would be interested as well, be stupid if they weren't.

Soldato
Sorry Acid but hydrogen powered cars are the future not Electric Cars.

Urm, no... unless you're talking about internal hydrogen combustion, then hydrogen cars are electric cars. Just with a different energy source. The electric drive train is the future - that much we can be pretty much sure of. There is still some debate about whether the on-board energy source will be hydrogen or batteries, however the developments over the last few years are strongly suggesting batteries over H fuel cells. Electric cars are the future.

Man of Honour
OP
Lola-Drayson B12/69EV

1326754908478.jpg

http://www.lolacars.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=360
http://www.emotorsportnews.com/team...drayson-electric-lmp-car-officially-revealed/
http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/Pure-electric-racer-is-as-fast-as-a-Formula-1-car.html
It is claimed to run at over 200mph, and judging from the stats it shouldn’t have any problem. Four YASA 750 motors give it a hefty 640kW (850bhp) and it weighs in at a relatively light 1085kg including driver, allowing it to make 60mph in 3s and 100mph in 5.1s. The 3 cell packs have been supplied by Mavizen and are made up of A123 Systems cylindrical ANR26650MIB nano-phosphate cells, giving a total energy of around 60kWh running at 700V max. They are packaged in carbon fibre as a structural component of the car, the first time this has ever been achieved, although I’m not sure what you would do if you ever needed to get at them again?

Not sure how true this one is, seeing as FIA haven't agreed anything yet.
http://www.torquenews.com/1079/confirmation-lola-drayson-racer-will-participate-formula-e
Confirmation the Lola Drayson Racer Will Participate at the Formula E

Also American le mans series wants an electric series as well. To devlop and get public use to the electric transport change over.
First demo car
http://www.insideline.com/audi/alms-imsa-racings-future-is-electric.html

Last edited:
Caporegime
See, now that I get.

Now Lola just need to use what they learn from this to build a petrol (or diesel) hybrid that will be able to compete at Le Man's for the full 24 hours but making half as many pit stops.

Using the batteries as a structural component is a clever idea. Goes against the fast swap battery idea though?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yep, but as the series is going to be ~30 min support race, no need to swap batteries.

Also with induction charging, there's extreme fast charge batteries under devlopment, we will have to wait and see if they make it to production.

But that's why we need such E sport. To realy drive forward and test these technologies.

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting that the first serious entrant isn't a single seater and is instead an evolution of an endurance racer though.

It's about the third and the others are single seater open cockpit.
FIA as far as I'm aware still haven't set rules, so I would take their entry with a pinch of salt.

Would be nice if it was a bit of a free for all though. With teams converging on similar deign after a few years.

Also think its safe to say Toyota will of put an entry in
http://doctorvee.co.uk/tag/formula-e/
Yesterday Toyota pulverised the electric car lap record around the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife with its TMG EV P001 driven by Jochen Krumbac
Peugeot’s old record of 9:01.338 is in the bin. The new benchmark is 7:47.794. To put it in perspective, the official lap record for any car round the Nordschleife is 6:11.13.
It is not difficult to guess what Toyota’s goal might be with this project. As their press release says:

"Such performance shows TMG’s electric powertrain is ideal to power any future single-make electric motorsport series…"

Last edited:
Caporegime
The other 2 are concepts from unknown companies. This is from Lola so I would say its far more likely to happen.

When's the deadline to express interest? April?

Edit: Ooo, active aero, cool.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
:eek: I thought April as well but

Interested candidates are invited to register a formal expression of interest with the FIA Secretariat before 5 pm CET on Friday 14 October 2011 as set out below.

Stage 2:
The FIA will contact every entity that has sent a formal request of interest within the deadline stated in Stage 1, and a discussion phase will start with the candidates which will last until mid‐November 2011

The FIA will not be required to give reasons for the acceptance or refusal of any particular proposal.
The selected candidate shall be informed of his selection no later than 15 December 2011...

Stage 3:
The selection by the FIA of a candidate shall initiate a one month period of exclusive negotiation between the FIA and the selected candidate with a view to concluding a promoter contract.
For the avoidance of doubt, the selection by the FIA of a candidate does not impose any obligations on the FIA, or entitle the selected candidate to any promoter contract.

So guess we're in stage 3! But then the other FIA document says
This Call for Expressions of Interest will be issued to identify and shortlist (at the latest in April 2012) those manufacturers that are in a position to commit to take part in the 2013 FIA Formula E Championship, either directly or/and via teams. Each manufacturer would be requested to produce a minimum number of cars so as to guarantee a minimum field, and a “balance of performance” system would be put in place in order to guarantee the sporting interest of the Championship.

Perhaps they had so much interest they didn't need to wait till April. I wish companies would say if they applied.

Kleenspeed also sound interested in helping FIA and said they may field their own team.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Using the batteries as a structural component is a clever idea. Goes against the fast swap battery idea though?

Most high end racecar engines are structural components and have been since 1966 with the Lotus 43 and the BRM H16.

They got swapping F1 engines down to about 12 minutes at one point in the early 00's iirc. Batteries in theory have fewer connections so may well be even speedier.

Back
Top Bottom