• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution 2.0

Caporegime
^^

Couldn't agree more, many need a lot of education on the different types of "sponsorships" it seems as well as to learn what certain web pages actual entail from said brand sites, especially if they are working for one of these companies and representing them.....

BTW, that page of amds with supposed "sponsorships" is actually just games which "contain" amds tech e.g.

Apparently monster Hunter World: Iceborne is sponsored by nvidia, as in upon startup of the game, you will see nvidias logo, however, it is featured on amds site as it also contains amd features.

In other news and related to the thread at hand, we finally have another FSR 2 title coming:

It’s been fairly obvious The Callisto Protocol developer Striking Distance and AMD are cozy for a while, but today, the two announced an official partnership. According to AMD’s announcement, they will “power the development of The Callisto Protocol,” and we already know the game will support the latest tech like FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 (FSR 2.0). What this also likely means is that The Callisto Protocol will not support NVIDIA features like DLSS and DLAA at launch.

Hopefully it will be at least as good as deathloops implementation of fsr 2 or better.

Associate
Couldn't agree more, many need a lot of education on the different types of "sponsorships" it seems as well as to learn what certain web pages actual entail from said brand sites, especially if they are working for one of these companies and representing them.....
So would you say Deathloop is sponsored by AMD or not?

Caporegime
Just to add, this is a list of games that are either one or more of the following:
  1. Utilise some open source technologies from GPU Open, FSR, CAS, HDR LPM etc.
  2. Utilise some AMD Technologies like AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, etc.
  3. Are part of a game bundle deal when you buy a certain graphics card from a series and get a game code for that title/s.
  4. Are sponsored games.
  5. Not sponsored, but falls into one or more of the categories above.

Associate
I would argue that they are all sponsored, as they are receiving advertisement at the very least. I don't really care if a game is or isn't sponsored if it's any good, but I'm struggling to see the argument that Deathloop isn't sponsored. However, I may have also missed a yes or no answer, so thought I'd ask.

Caporegime
I would argue that they are all sponsored, as they are receiving advertisement at the very least. I don't really care if a game is or isn't sponsored if it's any good, but I'm struggling to see the argument that Deathloop isn't sponsored. However, I may have also missed a yes or no answer, so thought I'd ask.
One thing to remember is that developers are free to use any technology from GPU open such as FSR etc. In doing that they do not become 'sponsored' per se, they are just using the technology as its free and comes with no strings attached. Although there are recommendations and best practices in the documentation on how to implement said technology, they are free to make any changes and adjustments to the code for their game. I see your point though Bill, it is free advertising for that particular game (as it often includes a link to buy said game) and it also mentions that it uses certain technology features mentioned above.

The way official sponsorship would differ as there would be closer collaboration long before the game launches, making sure that any technology going into the game is highly optimised for quality and that the game as a whole is performing well. There might also be a game bundle, or future DLCs as part of it too, amongst other things. There's really a lot more to these things than a logo screen, which really means very little when looking at the bigger picture.

Caporegime
So would you say Deathloop is sponsored by AMD or not?

Not the traditional sponsorship which we are more familiar with i.e. logos plastered everywhere with only one side having their tech. incorporated. I've already provided my "insight" into deathloops stance a page or 2 back.

EDIT:

Think that was my last post on it:

It could also have been a "timed" based sponsorship as deathloop didn't have dlss at the start, it was added in later on. Much like how sony or microsoft will pay to have exclusive access to a game for only their platform for the first year or so:

All in all, it's not a clear cut being 100% solely sponsored by amd, imo, arkane studio implemented each brands tech. of their own accord or/and received some kind of "compensation" (be that financial support or/and on hand support from amd/nvidia) to implement both parties respective technology, ultimately the only people who know with 100% certainty are those that are involved in those deals.

All I know with 100% "certainty" is that there are far more nvidia sponsored and non sponsored games with both dlss and fsr than there is amd sponsored titles with dlss and other nvidia techs.

Seems like Matt is confirming that amd won't allow nvidia tech in the full sponsorship method in this post?

You might start seeing DLSS in more AMD Sponsored titles other than just Deathloop, if they were to do that and make it open source on Git hub. Since AMD have never liked games using DLLs that the developers do not have source code access to. This is no secret and nothing has changed with the GameWorks banner which DLSS falls under.

Some folk don't really understand what they are talking about when it comes 'sponsorship' and how things actually work with regard to these agreements. There's more nuance to 'sponsorship' than a logo on an intro screen and is a perfect example of why I do not recommend listening to someone on the outside proclaiming to know whether a game is sponsored or not.

Something tells me Matt doesn't have me on ignore or can't help but show my posts ;) :cry:

Just to add, this is a list of games that are either one or more of the following:
  1. Utilise some open source technologies from GPU Open, FSR, CAS, HDR LPM etc.
  2. Utilise some AMD Technologies like AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, etc.
  3. Are part of a game bundle deal when you buy a certain graphics card from a series and get a game code for that title/s.
  4. Are sponsored games.
  5. Not sponsored, but falls into one or more of the categories above.

Thanks for confirming as I stated then :)

Associate
Thanks for confirming as I stated then :)
Yes, I had forgotten your previous quoted post (currently on hols, shouldn't be reading this!) . You went from its not a normal sponsorship, to its possibly a timed sponsorship, but you can't be sure it's 100% sponsored by AMD.

The only base you haven't covered is definitely not sponsored!

So in conclusion, on the balance of probabilities, it is sponsored by AMD. Thanks for confirming your opinion :p

It doesn't really matter though, both techs are in the game and side by side, which is a win for gamers as far as I'm concerned.

Caporegime
Yes, I had forgotten your previous quoted post (currently on hols, shouldn't be reading this!) . You went from its not a normal sponsorship, to its possibly a timed sponsorship, but you can't be sure it's 100% sponsored by AMD.

So in conclusion, on the balance of probabilities, it is sponsored by AMD. Thanks for confirming your opinion :p

It doesn't really matter though, both techs are in the game and side by side, which is a win for gamers as far as I'm concerned.
Sponsored and yes it uses DLSS too. :)

I wonder if there will be a interest in making DLSS open source on Git hub so that perhaps DLSS could gain wider adoption, Bill?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Be like Bill. See your realising the common denominator too. :)

Associate
Sponsored and yes it uses DLSS too. :)

I wonder if there will be a interest in making DLSS open source on Git hub so that perhaps DLSS could gain wider adoption, Bill?
I doubt it, and to be honest if I was in nVidia's position right now I wouldn't want to either - The adoption is currently fairly good, and making it open source will then take the current advantage away, as in it would be taking away a reason to purchase an nVidia card specifically. Doesn't mean that's how it will be in the future, and it also means they can always bank a future "release" to try and sway opinion. Maybe just prior to the release of the 5XXX series for some positive PR, who knows?
Be like Bill. See your realising the common denominator too. :)
I'll be fair, @Nexus18 does come up with good points at times, but I will question him/her on ones I don't agree with/understand. If we start getting into minutiae, or 45 minute videos of tech responses, I don't have the drive to sit there and argue the toss about an out of place pixel, however - I have other hobbies too!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not a major fan of the game sponsorships due to the follow on shenanigans generally, however as a gamer if they throw in the games when you buy hardware for example it affords you to try out some titles you maybe never would have, or you could in best cases sell on the codes and offer someone else the game for a healthy discount.

One day we might see some collab efforts where all vendors work together and actually deliver a stonking game!

Caporegime

The only thing I ever stated was that deathloop is not "100% sponsored by amd" like the usual sponsorships we are accustomed to i.e. plastered with logs with PR/youtube footage talking about the sponsorship and how said brand tech really help us bring the game to life bs..... this is true given we have loads of nvidias tech in the game as well....

The part I am not 100% sure on is what kind of sponsorship it is for all the stated reasons.

Matt even said it himself as I highlighted that generally the kind of sponsored titles we are used to seeing, amd aren't a fan of allowing nvidia tech because its closed source.

But again, this point still stands unless it can be disproven otherwise?

All I know with 100% "certainty" is that there are far more nvidia sponsored and non sponsored games with both dlss and fsr than there is amd sponsored titles with dlss and other nvidia techs.

Callisto is based on UE 5 so dlss would be very easy to add due to it being a plugin so proves us wrong AMDMatt as this is confirmed to be 100% good old fashion amd method of sponsorship :)

I doubt it, and to be honest if I was in nVidia's position right now I wouldn't want to either - The adoption is currently fairly good, and making it open source will then take the current advantage away, as in it would be taking away a reason to purchase an nVidia card specifically. Doesn't mean that's how it will be in the future, and it also means they can always bank a future "release" to try and sway opinion. Maybe just prior to the release of the 5XXX series for some positive PR, who knows?

I'll be fair, @Nexus18 does come up with good points at times, but I will question him/her on ones I don't agree with/understand. If we start getting into minutiae, or 45 minute videos of tech responses, I don't have the drive to sit there and argue the toss about an out of place pixel, however - I have other hobbies too!

I wish there were more developers on here, everyone always has a hard on just because "open source" and think said companies are good guys because they focus on open source, this is not always a good thing/win.... There are lots of good articles stating the pros/cons of open vs closed source.

They'd better - Imagine if everyone collaborated, got round the game design table and came up with Craig the Brute!

We have stated this a few times before and whilst that would be great, there wouldn't be as much innovation or drive to do better than the competition then thus we wouldn't be progressing in tech as quickly.

Nvidia offered an olive branch that would have supported both developers and gamers alike with open source streamline solution but amd refuse to support it for "reasons" so there is zero chance they will ever work together, nvidia could open source the whole lot and we would have a new reason why amd wouldn't allow nvidias tech in said games. But sadly a lot of people are very gullible and think these companies are their friends.

Associate
Nvidia offered an olive branch that would have supported both developers and gamers alike with open source streamline solution but amd refuse to support it for "reasons" so there is zero chance they will ever work together, nvidia could open source the whole lot and we would have a new reason why amd wouldn't allow nvidias tech in said games. But sadly a lot of people are very gullible and think these companies are their friends.
Oh, they won't work together unless there is something in it for both of them. It was selfless of nvidia to offer the olive branch to "Hardware vendor 3" :p

They're competitors, so it ain't happening unless Intel (or A.N.Other) bring a threat that needs shutting down. With what Intel have brought, at this stage its better to let it exist as both AMD and nVidia can point to it and say, "look at HOW MUCH better our product is"

Soldato
OP

Conclusion on DLSS, FSR and IGTI (and DLAA)​

Upsampling in Spider-Man Remastered has great optical advantages over rendering in identical resolution with classic TAA, regardless of whether Nvidia's DLSS or AMD's FSR is used: So before reducing the resolution, it should be set to DLSS or FSR.

DLSS is qualitatively ahead of FSR on several fronts, but of all things the raytracing reflections flicker massively with Nvidia's AI upsampling, which is virtually not the case with AMD's FSR 2.0. If that bothers you even slightly, you'll be better off with FSR 2.0, despite other disadvantages.

If the graphics card does not support DLSS, you will find a much better partner in FSR 2.0 than in the game's own IGTI. Although the latter brings more performance, it cannot keep up in terms of quality in every respect. In the end, the native game mode including TAA is visually the best with the same target resolution, even if it offers a noticeably slower performance. This time, for various reasons, DLSS and FSR do not quite come close to this, but they do offer significantly more FPS.

Nvidia's DLSS algorithm can also be used in the game in the form of DLAA without fewer render pixels. In terms of image sharpness and image stability, DLAA offers advantages over the native resolution and does not cost a lot of FPS at 5 percent. However, there is also the ant effect with DLAA as render pixels in Ultra HD and in WQHD it is so pronounced that the use of the technology does not seem sensible.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got a key for this but have yet to download it, will do that over the weekend. How are you finding the game?

I always turn any form of motion blur, chromatic aberration, depth of field off etc as can't stand image blurring in any form.

Just started it last night it's looking very good tbh the performance is excellent for the part I got up to.
For single player games I tend to play with motion blur on I actually do like motion blur outside of online play.

Caporegime
Just started it last night it's looking very good tbh the performance is excellent for the part I got up to.
For single player games I tend to play with motion blur on I actually do like motion blur outside of online play.
Yeah I respect that. I know some people that like blurring in games but it’s not for me in any scenario.

Back
Top Bottom