• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Man of Honour
Is it me or does FSR seem to look better than native at UQ?

Most implementations use some degree of sharpening. If you don't notice the areas of the image where the detail is reduced overall it can "look better" than native due to the sharpening.

Associate
Most implementations use some degree of sharpening. If you don't notice the areas of the image where the detail is reduced overall it can "look better" than native due to the sharpening.
The rocks especially benefits from this, although the drawing in the first pic seems to look better as well, at least without pixel peeping.

Associate
what is Horizon like as a game was tempted to pick it up for a twirl not done a single player game for well over a decade in this genre

Soldato
what is Horizon like as a game was tempted to pick it up for a twirl not done a single player game for well over a decade in this genre
It's okay, but if you want this sort of action-adventure then Ubisoft does it much better, in fact HZD is a spin on that formula + typical Sony dramatics. And the new Ubi AC games draw heavy inspiration from The Witcher 3 which kickstarted this whole new trend and has perhaps the best writing (arguably) out of all of them.

So I'd say try The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed Origins & Odyssey before HZD. Since TW3 is getting an "enhanced edition" (with RTX and all that jazz) in Q2 2022, you might actually want to start with AC. I say do it chronologically, so Origins first, plus the Egyptian setting is just gorgeous.

Soldato

It's really good, got a great sound track, graphics are top quality, combat is decent, open world that's full of detail.

It's abit like a zelda game is how I think of this game.
Dino robots what more do you need :D it's also quite challenging.

Associate
I own several assassins creed games ( all free) but never been tempted and witcher is a little to dark for my tastes

dino robots and countryside maybe

was tempted with the lotr game at one stage

Soldato
It's okay. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but it's £12.99 at CDKeys right now. For that money it's probably worth playing through.

Soldato
Tried HZD with FSR, the shimmer is crazy off-putting. It is completely unstable, makes the poor TAA in the game look amazing.

Also UQ seems to have artifacting in fast moving scenes that Q and Native don't have.

I hope it is better in other games.

Man of Honour
Tried HZD with FSR, the shimmer is crazy off-putting. It is completely unstable, makes the poor TAA in the game look amazing.

Also UQ seems to have artifacting in fast moving scenes that Q and Native don't have.

Have to say I'm reasonably impressed with it in Quake 2 RTX but I think that is because the engine has a very good temporal upscaling implementation used with FSR improving the results.

Not all positive - if you look at the window above the gun the edges contrasted against the sky are noticeably more jagged with FSR - on the original uncompressed image the edges are even smoother - imgsli compression has decreased the quality of the uploaded image a bit.

The sharpening helps to offset some of the detail loss for a fairly big jump in performance.

https://imgsli.com/ODc3NTc

EDIT: Also need to view the image at original resolution/fullscreen - the smaller zoomed image on the site actually reverses how it looks jaggies wise :s

Last edited:
Soldato

Definitely the worst in HZD from my experience. FSR makes the image quite soft in other games but works well enough for what it does. For HZD it really needs the sharpening slider because the way the game works means it's very prone to shimmer from oversharpening, so I'd use just normal upscale & adjust CAS manually instead. Not a world of difference between the two anyway.

Caporegime

Same experience with FSR in this too. Meanwhile DLSS in this shows why it is a superior solution compared not just to FSR but also compared to native/TAA.

Having tried FSR in a variety of games and at 2 res. 3440x1440 and 4k now; icarus, riftbreaker, FC 6, HZD, terminator resistance, FSR leaves much to be desired imo. The only game where it has been good/no noticeable issues is terminator resistance and that is mostly because of the setting/scenes i.e. dark, blocks/building based and a good AA implementation. It is definitely much better for 4k when using the UQ preset but any res. <4k or preset less than UQ, I wouldn't use it, especially when/if the native AA/TAA implementation is diabolical i.e. as in FC 6.

Hopefully AMD will get something sorted with RDNA 3 as DLSS is just too good to give up now imo. Wish intel would hurry up with their solution as well.

Soldato
It's not that noticeable in Godfall, you really have to be looking out for shimmering. A shame its a terrible game.

I think it would suit more cell shaded type games well as interpolation is a lot easier. Games which have more fine detail are gonna struggle with movement.

Associate
My wife just tried HZD with FSR UQ playing at 1080p.
Her Radeon HD7970 performs much better and she didn't seem to notice anything different aside from the extra smoothness.

I'd say AMD is did a good job.

Caporegime
I’ve not played the game but saw some screenshots posted earlier and I could not make any difference out between all of them. Usually a sign it’s doing a decent enough job. :cry:

Associate
I tried it on a laptop with Nvidia 860m. It looks somehow oversharpened and the game didn't had the best aliasing to begin with so FSR will only amplify the problems. But the fact that FSR works on such an old video card and i can play one of the greatest games i ever played without having to fire up my desktop PC, makes it worth it.

Back
Top Bottom