• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fidelity Super Resolution in 2021

Soldato
AMD says FSR is coming sometime this year. They've given some updates

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution-fsr-to-launch-this-year-for-pcs

* FSR is due to launch in 2021

* FSR does not use machine learning like DLSS or DirectML, nor fixed function AI cores, it's software based

* AMD wants to launch on PC first then consoles

* Even though it's due this year, a lot of work is still needed (AMD's words)

* A working version of FSR is already up and running, but it AMD isn't happy with the image quality, between now and launch AMD is working on improving the FSR image quality

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Won't Nvidia utilise DirectML in the future? If so, why won't AMD?

AMD is not ruling out machine learning, my interpretation of what AMD said is that right now FSR does not utilise it but could in the future. This is more than likely because RDNA2 doesn't contain any Tensor like cores, but if RDNA3 does then FSR could be updated to use it - they're just giving themselves some wiggle room for the future

Soldato
OP
I'm assuming that, if they had built FSR around DirectML it would have been tied to only working on DirectX games?

Direct X 12.1 only most likely. The benefit of a software solution in the driver is that it can be applied to a wide range of games straight away where as hardware must be coded for.

What intrigues me though is that Xbox Series X, Microsoft said they put some AI cores into it so that it could use DirectML, where as both the PS5 and the RDNA2 desktop GPUs do not contain those cores. Microsoft has not revealed much else, I can't wait to see what they do with those cores in the future.

The way I see things shaking out is that in a couple years from now all PC GPUs are using DirectML with fixed function AI cores (be that Lovelace or RDNA3) and things like software FSR is just a stop gap and I think DirectML can amalgamate DLSS into itself

Soldato
OP
I don't see how direct ml will lower game file sizes. The idea with ML is to feed it with high quality textures when you ask it to reconstruct an image - if you feed it crap you'll get crap out, games will still texture files as high quality as they can be

Soldato
OP
According to Coreteks, a beta version of Super Resolution will be available in June.

And here is a kicker, its a software solution and AMD isn't locking it down - Fidelity Super Resolution runs Nvidia GPU too

Soldato
OP
AMD may have decided to go for a simpler implementation for the time being and then go fully hardware in RDNA3, which would make sense if they're fast-tracking it.

RDNA 3 rumours so far specifically mention there is no special hardware for FSR, which makes sense - AMD wants FSR to be open source which means it needs to be hardware agnostic and work on any GPU

Soldato
OP
The AMD patent leaked has nothing to do with normal Super Resolution that AMD has previously spoken about.

AMD specifically said in February it's super resolution would not be a AI based implementation, it's a open source software that runs on any graphics cards regardless of it's architecture.

But the patent is completely different to this, the patent is very similar to how DLSS works

This is what I believe because its a freakin no brainer.

* AMD in it's rush, came out and said we've got a competition to DLSS and it runs on everything, its super easy to implement at the driver level and developers dont need to do anything.

* Gamers frothed over themselves and laughed at DLSS

* Earlier this year, AMD in its testing found that FSR looks like absolute rubbish next to DLSS (this has been confirmed by various leaks).

* AMD immediately started working on a replacement that uses AI like DLSS and thus the patent was created. This replacement most likely will not run on RDNA2 but requires an RDNA3 GPU

Soldato
OP
people said raytracing couldnt be done on none nvidia hardware and that wasn't true. im not saying better or worse, but apparerently you NEED rt cores for it. :rolleyes:

Seriously who said that, I bet you won't be able to produce a single source who said that. You just made that up, everyone knows that Ray Tracing can be done on any graphics card ever built

Soldato
OP
I'm telling you how you can benifit from DLSS as you were under the impression it was only useful when RT is being used.

This whole thread is speculation. My original input was to correct a missunderstanding that DLSS caused input lag.

I never once said that RT required dedicated cores, or even dedicated hardware. Indeed I had my own attempt at raytracing ~22 years ago using a86 and Turbo C. What I am saying is that dedicated cores will perfrom far better as they can run in parallel with other normal GPU workloads, for the 1,000th time :D

AMD still needs to work on the parallel part, current they don't run in parallel and it's one after another to fill the frame buffer, Nvidia on the other hand does parallel ray tracing and rasterisation

Soldato
OP
Thought they couldnt leak numbers cos each dev will have diff numbers forced or something so amd could spot the leak sources.

Plus anyhow i dont take notice of that guy doubt he knows naff all tbh.

Red gaming tech is hit trying to copy MLID. Also his videos are impossible to watch because he has the most annoying voice I've ever heard

Soldato
OP
June 22nd.
https://explore.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution/survey
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-fidelityfx-super-resolution
https://gpuopen.com/fsr-announce/ according to info in this fsr shouldnt have blur or ghosting that dlss might have when games are in motion.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is supported on the following AMD products: AMD Radeon™ RX 6000, RX 5000, RX 500, RX Vega Series graphics cards & all AMD Ryzen™ Processors with Radeon™ Graphics. AMD does not provide technical or warranty support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution enablement on other vendor's graphics cards.

SU8CyXJ.jpg

you forgot to mention m, Fidelity Super Resolution also works on GTX1000, RTX2000 and RTX3000 GPUs

Soldato
OP
That demo was quite funny. AMD put a 6800xt against a GTx1060 and said "look we have higher fps", I mean like yea you do weird flex.

need more details, but on that godfall comparison anything under the Ultra setting is quite blurry, it's about what I estimated where Ultra is 1440p upscaled and then it goes down steps to 540p - but is anyone gonna play 540p upscale to 4k, like really?

Soldato
OP
In RT games the increase in FPS is even bigger with fake resolution. Think about the cost of RT to 1080p vs 4k for example, it is much greater than the cost of rendering. You get less FPS gains with DLSS/FSR if there is no RT.

That's cause RT is done by bouncing a certain number of rays per pixel, therefore higher resolution = more rays to bounce.

And of course, RT in general runs slower than rasterization so at high resolution there is enough rays being cast that it overwhelms the majority of the framebuffer, so cutting resolution has a large impact on performance

Soldato
OP
Except you know.. FSR looking like a blurry mess, way more than DLSS ever did. Comparisons are out there already with captures from their own video.

Excuse my lack of links but cba logging on PC to link, phone is more comfy. Also you can find them yourself on that era site.

But hey, guess this time around the same people bashing DLSS ‘vaseline’ will praise FSRs’ worse IQ with new moving goalposts.

:cry:

There is a 4k video with the comparison I'll take a look, but from AMD's own Godfall screenshot You can see even Ultra FSR looks slightly lower quality than native but still looks ok, quality/balance/performance all look quite blurry. Wonder if sharpening was applied or not

Soldato
OP
AMD, We make it better
Lisa Su, for you!

In essence, wide adopted technology, killed off DLSS and any marketing talk from jensen with ray tracing.
AMD 6000 series is already faster than nvidias 3000 series and this FSR tech just kicked some sand into jensens eyes.

Lisa Su and tea, kudos for the amazing work you do

I know right rx6000 might be able to get half of Nvidias rayvtraced dlss performance now

Soldato
OP
by the way, AMD's own words. FSR is only confirmed so far for 10 games this year.

As it requires a per game implementation, it's facing the same uphill battle that Nvidia, however they should be able to pick it up quicker given wider GPU support

native 4k is pretty much out of the window with new consoles

they're pushing 1200-1440p 60 fps in every game out there

Yep, even worse - console developers have started piling into the "4k" marketing gimmick so now almost every 60 fps game is quoted as "4k" when in fact they're all just using upscaling from between 1080p and 1440p to 2160p

Back
Top Bottom