Fiesta ST's... whats to know?

Soldato
Can't find much via search...

Basically, just after a bit of info on Fiesta ST's...

- What goes wrong
- What to check specifically when buying
- Are they generally dependable, reliable, niggle free
- How do people rate their handling, performance considering price - cost of car, insurance, tax etc.
- Are they as fun as people make out?
- Sort of interested in ride quality comments... how compliant are they, or are they a crashy mess? Does fitting Eibach 30mm-ish springs keep the ride the same, worse, better? As I've read differing opinions here and there from a quick google. I know reviews say the Zetec S is a better drive day to day but it's clearly not going to be as quick...
- Real world results from a full exhaust inc manifold, sports cat and a decent induction kit?

Don't know what else to ask about really but the usual stuff worth knowing about the car. Don't need any "get a 182" comments, I know they're faster, I purely want to find out about Fiesta ST's :)

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

Last edited:
Coming back to them to find the bodykit / spoilers missing I'm afraid....

:(

- What goes wrong
main problem ive had on mine was cold starting, but i think that was down to mods (mapping) rather than the standard car. The throttle bodies break easy, although i've not had a problem. Hand break cables need greasing up yearly as they squeak badly. Rear brakes also tend to stick on and causes a "crack" noise when pulling away after its been parked over night. Made worse by wet weather. Powersteering pumps often fail, and this is because the fluid doesnt get any cooling as standard, so on a fast drive it leaks out of the tank. Once the fluid boils a few times it goes thick black which will cause a whiney pump. Not everyone drives on a race track though so that doesnt matter too much.

- What to check specifically when buying
check that its clutch pedal recall work has been done. certain dates had a washer missing. Cant remember which ones though. Check that both front windows are solid and don't rattle when down. They come loose quiet easy. Check the heated windscreen operation. Cars from late 2006-2007 had faulty screens where they don't work. Ford avoid paying out by saying its a stone chip that's caused it to fail.

- Are they generally dependable, reliable, niggle free
See what goes wrong... Oh and Rattles... Rattles rattles rattles.

- How do people rate their handling, performance considering price - cost of car, insurance, tax etc.
I like it, its better inside than a Renault, and goes well. It may not be as hardcore as a Clio182 but that is not what i wanted. Tax is now £200 for a year. Insurance is ok, im paying £450 a year with Greenlight, however "normal" insurers quoted me £1000 so they didn't quote me happy.

- Are they as fun as people make out?
I like it, but it depends what you've driven before i suppose. Its certainly not a motorway car, only 5gears and 75mph = around 4000rpm. Loud, and kills mpg.

- Sort of interested in ride quality comments... how compliant are they, or are they a crashy mess? Does fitting Eibach 30mm-ish springs keep the ride the same, worse, better? As I've read differing opinions here and there from a quick google. I know reviews say the Zetec S is a better drive day to day but it's clearly not going to be as quick...
Ride is Rough. Very crashy, its all down to the 17inch wheels. 16s on the Zetec S make it much easier over bumps. Eibachs can only make it worse. I never fitted mine i sold them back on. It does sit quiet high though, so i was, until my car got ruined by pikys thinking about getting Bilsteins B12s. That is out the window now though.

- Real world results from a full exhaust inc manifold, sports cat and a decent induction kit?
K&N will release a nice power figure, standard airbox system is rubbish. Its well worth the £90ish to release some power. Heatsoak may become a problem in traffic, but once you are moving its fine. I now have a Mountune CAIS, which is a bigger K&N in a box so it has nice fresh air. The next thing to replace would be the flexi pipe (£130ish) from the manifold down to the exhaust. The exhaust system is 55mm, but the flexi pipe is only 42mm, causing a big restriction that feels like a brake going on at 4k. The flexi fits onto the standard manifold and helps remove restriction so the car keeps pulling after 4k. I have a full 4-1 Manifold now but im not sure it made the difference over the standard manifold with a uprated flexi pipe.

Mountune CAIS, 4-1 manifold, Piper sports cat and catback gave me 165bhp from 148bhp. Worth it? Maybe. I always felt that the car started to pick up, then get held back from 4k onwards. K&N and the flexi got rid of the restrictions so it would keep going till 5.5k, so id say those two mods are worth it. Going further is up to each owner themselves. I wouldn't recommend Piper exhaust if you doing a lot of motorway miles, far too loud. Get Milltek Resonated, much quieter and still releases some bhp.

But as Mr R420 said... this can happen:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18222974

Sigh :(

Last edited:
Its one of the cars I'm looking at getting for the wife, quick enough for town, reliable enough and they look quite funky, so thats as far as I am Interested in them, that and they are quite cheap, very easy to find a low mileage (sub 40k) 4 year old model for 5k.

Just look on autotrader, push it another couple of hundred quid and its a even lower mileage.

My dad had 2 or 3 from new. Never really did it for me.

Found the driving position too upright. The rear used to sort of bob along on the motorway which was tiring. Steering used to tram line really severly around town. It did handle quite nicely though around back roads when pressing on.

I found the standard engine didn't sound great in the upper rev range and wasn't very eager over 5k. Just a bit bland tbh.

I own an mx5 so it's not like I'm used to smooth saloons.

Tute, they are noisy on the motorway. Probably the low tyres and the fact it could do with a sixth gear to bring the revs down when cruising.

Its one of the cars I'm looking at getting for the wife, quick enough for town, reliable enough and they look quite funky, so thats as far as I am Interested in them, that and they are quite cheap, very easy to find a low mileage (sub 40k) 4 year old model for 5k.

Just look on autotrader, push it another couple of hundred quid and its a even lower mileage.

Pretty much sums up why I'm interested in them. They're pretty cheap for age and milage, cheap as chip bits.. but just don't know much about reliability of them.

I don't really do much motorway work, only when I travel out of the city which is rare. At best I go on the A500/A34 which are dual carriageways and I aren't on them for more than 20 mins at a time anyway... predominantly I drive around town at lower speeds but if I wanna go down some country roads it'd be nice to have a small car again for some fun.

Only problem is, I aren't female haha... but they seem a good car for the overall purpose in hand.

My car does everything ok as it is but it's a bit dull, getting old, on 141k and I want to consider getting rid before it costs me more money and is worth less due to the milage. It drives good for it's age and milage but that means nowt to the next man when it comes to resale value. I'd like a new car because I'm bored of it and even though my VW has been ok for an older car, they're not what they're made out to be in terms of reliability nor interior quality. My Corsa B rattled and creaked way less than this does :)

Anyways back on to the Fiesta :D Any more opinions gratefully taken on board.

Ride quality is fine, it is noisy on the motorway but what small car isn't? It is crying out for a 6 speed box and the engine doesn't really make a nice noise as per stock. Enjoyable cars to drive and a fair whack less to insure than a 172/182 going from quotes I've done in the past.

I have had a 2006 performance blue ST for a year and half or so...

Plus points, looks, handling, running costs (cheap to service/maintain compared to a Clio 182...no expensive cam belt replacement as the Duratec engine is chain driven), interior is better built and of a nicer design than the Clio equivalent though everyone will be along to say 'who cars how crap the interior is in a hot hatch' as though they spend every minute of driving on the nordschleife ;)

Its a pretty poor car on the motorway to be honest, its plenty fast enough for easy driving but it gets tiring due to wind and tyre noise, and the low gearing (about 3800rpm in top at 70). Around town though its good fun, very chuckable.

If you can try and find one with the Mountune power upgrade, this was a Ford approved upgrade which could be specified from new or added later, which comes in two stages:

Stage 1 added a full exhaust system and a remap, taking it to 165bhp.

Stage 2 was the same but with cams and a more aggressive map, making 185bhp so appreciably quicker and faster revving. It sounds fairly epic for a four pot hot hatch too, lots of pops and bangs on the overrun...see this video, this is a car with the stage 2 package...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GegjyIwIPQ

The Mountune cars got some very favourable reviews and are much better to drive than standard...if I was buying now I'd wait for a car that already had the upgrades. Heres what Drivers Republic thought of the ST185...

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=gwhpg&preview=1&_x=1#/page2/

Some insurers (Greenlight for example) do not necessarily charge extra for the Mountune upgrade either in the same way that aftermarket mods would be treated, dependent on the model year of the car, as it was 'factory approved' by Ford.

Check with your insurer beforehand though...a 2007 car could be Mountune'd from the factory and can be insured as such for no extra cost. A 2005 car that had the upgrade when it was 2 yeards old when the packages became available cannot...the ABI codes for the 165/185 upgrades only cover 2007 onwards vehicles.

As standard the engine is somewhat strangled - the standard airbox sits on top of the engine and is thus prone to heatsoak as well as having two 180 degree bends in it. The standard exhaust is about 57mm diameter apart from the flexi pipe just after the manifold which has a 42mm section...change the flexi pipe and the engine is much keener to rev and dyno graphs typically show a 5-10bhp increase for just these two mods.

Many cars will be lowered, as stock the ride heigh is laughable, one could source 35mm Eibach springs through Ford which were manufacturer approved and did not effect the warranty. Best suspension setup for the car is Bilstein B12s, expensive but the ride is actually better than standard!

Reliability -

Some will say the gearboxes break often but its an IB5+ gearbox as fitted to countless other cars. More a reflection on how the car is used I feel!

Common failures include the water pump and aux belt tensioner/idler pulley, these tend to give a little rattle by way of warning first though. Quite hard to diagnose the fault though due to all parts running off the same belt.

Engine mounts have a fairly hard time as well given the way the engine is shoehorned in...replacement is pretty easy though.

Gearbox mounts take a hammering and most cars will clonk slightly on the second to third gearchange.

Electric mirrors tend not to be too reliable but not many cars have these anyway.

Mountune tuned cars may have a ride height adjustable coilover setup made by KW whic improves the handling no end but the dampers are prone to leakage :(

Handbrake cable can rattle on the exhaust heatshield under the car, this can be heard as an annoying tapping from behind the drivers seat, easy fix with some lubrication and minor adjustment (bending of heatshield!)

No synchro in reverse so popping it into reverse can sometimes be a struggle, this is normal and to be expected...change to third first or dip the clutch twice before selection reverse and you'll be fine.

The engine is essentially the same as a 2.0 Mondeo (Duratec) so is pretty reliable if cared for :). It does sound very tappety though and has pretty noisy injectors. Quite a coarse engine note and not particularly sweet sound especially as standard!

Overall though I like mine - looks smart and modern, a bit more special than the Clio 182 inside and out, and is good fun to drive. Wouldn't want to take it on the motorway every day but on a good road its proper fun! Mine is soon to get lightweight 16 inch wheels, upgraded brakes, a Quaife diff and a Mountune upgrade :)

Last edited:

To answer these:

Eibachs make the ride slightly worse, its pretty hard as stock to be honest, in my opinion its over-tyred as sold in the UK (UK cars got 205/40 R17 rubber as standard, in Europe they had narrower 16 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres).

I fitted Bilstein B12s to my car and a whiteline ARB and on a smooth road the handling is superb, and with the Bilstein dampers it rides better than standard being slightly less crashy, but the ride does still annoy me at times and on bad roads its sufficiently non-compliant to make pushing on more of a chore. To the extent that now I am due to change tyres, I am now getting smaller (16 inch) wheels and have some higher 45 profile rubber to go on...I figure it will benefit from the reduction in wheel weight as well as improving the ride :o

A full exhaust, induction kit will see you between 170 and 185bhp, adding cams tend to give 175 to 185bhp. A custom map from Jamsport always seems to give better results than an off the shelf remap such as Bluefin/Dreamscience, and Mountune cars tend to make their claimed power rather more often than the likes of power upgrade kits from Pumaspeed and GGR.

If a Fiesta ST makes 185bhp with a exhaust and filter ill eat my arm.

Total waste of time going down that route if you want the car to be cheaper to insure etc, as you could just get a faster car in the first place thats cheaper and spend the extra to insure it.

How old are you?

Back
Top Bottom