Fifth Gear

Associate
5th gear does seem to get more embarrasing each week. The Merc article was just pathetic. Show me a car that will still run with the engine bay completely submerged in water :confused: They should definatly stick to doing factual road tests. At least they haven't inflicted any of their mind numbing crash tests on us for a couple of weeks I guess...

Associate
I'd also like to say that although TG does have it's silly and pointless featues, it does certainly break it up a bit.

If you have review after review for example, it gets boring. Sure, the motor nut is gonna lap it up, but motor nuts probably don't make up the numbers that the BBC needs to make it a viable show.

By throwing in some comedy and darn right silly moments, it breaks it up and offers far more for the general viewing audience (which may only like it because it's funny etc).

We all remember that TG had a few bad years and thankfully they have bought it back to it's former glory. I for one enjoy the silly moments as they make me laugh, whist still getting my motor fix on a Sunday. I'd rather it be this way than no TG at all, oh how I would miss that!

and that.....is why TG is popular and Firth Gear is pap. They just don't get it right.

Caporegime
i sky+ fifth gear so that i can fast foward through most of it.

this week i only watched the ferrari test and the jap car meet.
the rest was on 30x to get it over and done with!

crap show and tbh vbh isnt all that.

Man of Honour
355F1512TR said:
Show me a car that will still run with the engine bay completely submerged in water :confused:

Diesel Land Rover's with a snorkal
Alvis Stalwart
Amphicar

There's 3 that did/do regularly for a start.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
vbh isnt that great looking tbh but i guess i would stick it in her exhaust ;)

I prefer topgear but quite enjoyed fifth gear tonight, loving that new ferrari :)

Sam

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I always find it funny when fifth gear thread is on agenda it's like jingle tune - someone will say Tiff Nydell speaks funny (and he does, I don't know what on earth is wrong with that guy, he behaves like stoner). At some point someone will add something witty about the silly woogy, sandal wearing, fat bloke with shaving cream allergy who tries to be funny to the point of farting with his armpits but always turns out to be a little edgy like a guy who's chuckling to himself at the back of the nightbus. In most threads we constantly overlook the third bloke. You know, the background guy who knows how to drive and wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for his lack of anything to say "I'm in a car, it drives, there is gear change, some noise, I think, at the back, has doors too. Would probably make a good buy for someone who needs doors on alloy wheels with panels painted in some colour". And then there is always the sleezy American Pie oneliner about VBH - "I wouldn't mind her go up and down my gearstick, if ya know wha'I mean muahuahua" or something similarly stupid. Oh come on guys, I know it doesn't take much to drool after week spent between pizza boxes and few gallons of pepsi, but seriously? Vicky? The size 14, two chin, arms like tighs, Camera Partnership advertising, "I don't mind greasy hair on national TV", styrophoam screech against glass laughing Vicky is the one you want to drool about? Phueleeeeze.

Fifth gear is a bad program served by bad presenters backed by bad scripts and bad editing. The shootouts that pretend to be world famous, the crash tests that always miss answers to the most obvious questions and post production that seems to be set for rip off audiotele cash making spin rather than providing any sensible or at least funny content. It was bad enough as 20 minute advert filling featurette, leave alone extended 40 minute version.

Soldato
v0n said:
Vicky? The size 14, two chin, arms like tighs, Camera Partnership advertising, "I don't mind greasy hair on national TV", styrophoam screech against glass laughing Vicky is the one you want to drool about? Phueleeeeze.

Love it! Nothing but the truth. Women shouldn't be on car programmes, full stop. Reversing round a track doesn't suprise me, the other week Tiff was driving with one hand, the other was tied up. Fantastic. If they want to arse about, they should find another way of doing so, because to me, if you're testing a car, you should do just that. Drive properly and quit trying to be zany, it doesn't suit. Not that I care, I only find myself watching parts of it if I'm channel surfing and extremely bored.

Lets face it though. Even if the Fifth Gear producers took on board all our comments, we still wouldn't touch it with a ninety foot barge pole, because it's not, and never will be Top Gear.

Soldato
Totally agree with Mr Fox, my brother and I were watching it and just shaking our heads, it was rubbish.

The beauty of 5th gear was that it was different to Top Gear, more serious and featured lots of reviews of new cars.

Sadly thats changed, that Merc feature was pathetic. Yeah lets drive it into deep water and stall it - WOW!!!111

Soldato
I liked the Merc test, just to see how good those estates are built, since we have owned about 5 now since 1986.

The rest was crap though.

Vicki would get it.

Soldato
v0n said:
but seriously? Vicky? The size 14, two chin, arms like tighs, Camera Partnership advertising, "I don't mind greasy hair on national TV", styrophoam screech against glass laughing Vicky is the one you want to drool about? Phueleeeeze.

Indeed. Surely evidence that OcUK Motors forum is mostly frequented by teenagers with raging hormonal issues, ready to shag anything with a heartbeat? :confused:

Anyway, 5th gear has been reduced to utter tripe of late, not worth the wear and tear to the '5' button on your TV remote tbh.

Soldato
Seeing a classic merc get destroyed was not my idea of fun, but it was impressive on some level.

Its not that bad given its channel 5, and has about 50% good material. 599 did look lame on the track though, but most won't ever see a track so it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom