filtering

Associate
Few questions on my ride home there are two chances to filter.

The first one is two lanes meeting a round about. I want to go the first left at the round about what is the best way for filtering if at the end I need to be in the left lane.

The second I need to be in the right lane to go straight over. Is it ok to use the left lane and the try and get back in. Undertaking ?

Soldato
1) I'd normally filter up to the 2nd or 3rd car before the roundabout then indicate and move across to the inside.
2) Very much depends on the road layout and the flow of traffic. Maybe, maybe not.

Man of Honour
No hard rules, depends on road, traffic, cars, sighting distance etc.
When safe filter, if dodgy don't.

When it's very much stationery much easier to filter and gauge what's happening, to get across.

Associate
Yep if they're stationary it's much easier to nip in at/near the front, but I do this mostly at light controlled junctions. Roundabouts are more unpredictable so... yeah depends on the space, speed, flow heh.

Caporegime
the first one id use the gap nearest the kerb,ive done that a few times and just stay left,as for second your on a bike 99% of the time youll be first away and well infront of any traffic so just go for the gap which is the easiest to filter down,thats what id do,

Associate
OP
Dont you think there would be less accidents etc if bikes / cycles werent allowed to filter? Most of the time it is hard to notice when they zoom past you!

Can't comment on that, the areas I am doing it are 40max and I am only doing 5mph just ticking over going past.

Suppose if I blasted past at stupid MPH then yes I am asking for trouble

Soldato
Dont you think there would be less accidents etc if bikes / cycles werent allowed to filter? Most of the time it is hard to notice when they zoom past you!

It's like all the other bits about driving, if done 'well' then it's a non-issue, and by well I mean at a sensible pace, being observant and not pushing the issue.

But both idiot bikers and idiot car/van drivers can make it far more dangerous. Ultimately I've only once had an issue when filtering, and thats when a van decided to push me onto the other side of the road when there was a car coming, which was fun.

I've had far far more issues with cars pulling out with the driver looking right at me than anything during filtering, so overall I'd say no, it's not really an issue.

Soldato
Its only hard to notice if they come zooming past you out of nowhere!

"Coming out of nowhere" is a great trick if you can do it, but I don't know anybody that can. Vehicles all come from somewhere - if something suddenly appears next to you then it's either Harry Potter apparating on his broomstick or you haven't been paying attention.

Caporegime
1) I'd normally filter up to the 2nd or 3rd car before the roundabout then indicate and move across to the inside.
2) Very much depends on the road layout and the flow of traffic. Maybe, maybe not.

Spot on. Density, speed, road layout and of course the power of your own bike are all factors determining the second example. If in doubt, stay put.

You also need to consider whether the average motorist will expect a bike to suddenly appear on the roundabout and will pull out anyway. It can happen all too easily.

Last edited:
Soldato
In agreement with Luke here, usually stop a few from the front when I come to somewhere like a roundabout.

Never filter between cars and the kerb myself, except when maybe passing a car turning right and there is no room for a car to get through, only a bike.

And also, bikes do not "come out of no where". If you use your mirrors correctly, you will notice a bike before you do any manoeuvre in a car.

Soldato
"Coming out of nowhere" is a great trick if you can do it, but I don't know anybody that can. Vehicles all come from somewhere - if something suddenly appears next to you then it's either Harry Potter apparating on his broomstick or you haven't been paying attention.

Behind you != nowhere. This is why god built cars with mirrors.

Your both incorrect. Vehicles can and do appear to come from no where sometimes.

Blind corners, from behind other vehicles, driving distractions in front. I don't know anybody who drives, who can pay attention to the road in front. While also constantly keeping there attention on all mirrors at the same time.

It only takes a second from the road behind looking empty to seeing a motorbike zooming past your side window.

Back
Top Bottom