Final Fantasy 16

I didn’t expect it to be that good at first, at least based on the very plain and almost dated art style and animations, but after a while I started to see the intricacies of its art direction and in fact how effective and powerful even the writing is.
The plot is paper thin ... all the "drama" and hard hitting aspects are delivered within the first 2 hours of gameplay. From that point onward the plot is decidely drab, one paced and depressing in tone. Also, the "hack & slash" isn't very good ... as a few others have commented it's a Devil May Care lite. There is zero depth to the combat. Just spam the attack button the whole game ( it also serves as parry / riposte ).

The plot is paper thin ... all the "drama" and hard hitting aspects are delivered within the first 2 hours of gameplay. From that point onward the plot is decidely drab, one paced and depressing in tone. Also, the "hack & slash" isn't very good ... as a few others have commented it's a Devil May Care lite. There is zero depth to the combat. Just spam the attack button the whole game ( it also serves as parry / riposte ).
I’m sure you’re probably right, but it is kind of endearing.

Perhaps sometimes you just have to make your own mistakes.

Forgot this actually existed, judging by the reviews here I will probably not bother any further than the demo. Its a shame they cant quite crack the formula to replicate the quality of old.

I wished they had a team that made a final fantasy that goes back to turn based actually to be honest. If you are going to be stuck in the past, then do it right :cry:

SquareEnix still makes plenty of turn based games. Only that they are no longer called Final Fantasy. Bravely Default series for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
SquareEnix still makes plenty of turn based games. Only that they are no longer called Final Fantasy. Bravely Default series for example.
This. With the Final Fantasy series, SquareEnix, by their own admission, are trying to cater to a "modern" audience - read as the niche minority that play FF14 MMO. And that's why the sales for FF16 and the FF7 remakes have capped out at around the 4-5 million mark, as opposed to the 10+ million sales when the series had a more mainstream appeal.

Back
Top Bottom