Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Soldato
finalfantasyxivonlinear.jpg

Release Date: 27/08/2013
Platforms: Windows PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4.
Current State: 2.0 Released (Server Status)

While this thread was originally created with PS3 players in mind, please feel free to join in the discussion if you play on PC. I'd be very grateful if people could inform me of their character names, any Free Companies they're a part of that are recruiting, or any Linkshells that are open to more members. If you have any useful links, videos, information, or otherwise, please don't hesitate to post them here or let me know so I can add them to this OP in the hopes of keeping an up-to-date source of information.

Retailers

Amazon UK - Standard Edition - PS3 - £29.99
Amazon UK - Collector's Edition - PS3 - £51.99
Amazon UK - Standard Edition - PC - £22.99 (1.0 Edition)
Amazon UK - Standard Edition - PC - £16.00 (2.0 Edition)
Amazon UK - Collector's Edition - PC - £41.99 (2.0 Edition)
Zavvi - Collector's Edition - PS3 - £59.99
Zavvi - Standard Edition - PS3 - £23.98
Zavvi - Collector's Edition - PC - £49.99
ShopTo - Standard Edition - PS3 - £24.85
ShopTo - Collector's Edition - PS3 - £54.85
ShopTo - Standard Edition - PC - £15.85
ShopTo - Collector's Edition - PC - £47.86
Gamestop UK - Standard Edition - PS3 - £59.97
Gamestop UK - Collector's Edition - PS3 - £59.97
Gamestop UK - Standard Edition - PC - £49.97
GAME - Standard Edition - PS3 - £29.99
GAME - Collector's Edition - PS3 - £51.99
GAME - Standard Edition - PC - £19.99
GAME - Collector's Edition - PC - £41.99

Please note that these prices and listings are from the current state of the websites as of 03/07/2013, and are subject to change (the PC SE from Amazon UK is currently not a pre-order and from the looks of it, are still shipping the copies from the original launch). I'll be adding more listings and updating the current ones over time.

Figured I'd start a fresh thread for the re-release of Final Fantasy XIV on PS3 as the other thread for it is around 3 years old, and obviously outdated. Personally I'm very excited about this - I'd played FFXIV a while back and felt like it could have been so much better, but sadly I just couldn't see myself playing it for more than the included month (which is a shame because I really liked some of their ideas and I adore Final Fantasy). I'm hoping the game does a lot better this time, and from the looks of the Alpha videos Square Enix has been releasing they seem to be doing a great job (that and every video they release makes it harder for me to contain my excitement). Anyways, enough of that, onto the game material!

Cinematics

This was an interesting way of handling the shut down of the original game's servers, and its "rebirth" through some pretty CG Cutscenes:

End of an Era

A New Beginning

Crystal's Call

Gameplay

Below is an assortment of various gameplay videos from Square Enix (videos marked as being Alpha and Beta to differentiate between the stages):

Character Creation
Alpha

Game World
Gridania - First Look (alpha)
The Black Shroud - Part I (alpha)
The Black Shroud - Part II (alpha)
Tour of Eorza - Part I (beta)
Exploration (beta)

Content
Quests and Combat (alpha)
Gathering and Crafting (alpha)
Levequests and Party Combat (alpha)
Instanced Dungeons (alpha)

Misc
Letter from Naoki Yoshida
PS3 UI (beta)
Gamepad/UI (beta)
Magitek Armour (beta)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Free Companies, Linkshells, and Members

Please let me know of any Free Companies you're a part of (either Trust me the details or post in here) if you want it to be listed here. This should make it easier for forumites to find FCs together, or to find ones that have a high population of OcUKers or ones run by fellow forum members. Will add more detailed information once more things have been finalised. Additionally, please post here or let me know otherwise if you want your forum and character name added to the list below (E-mail in Trust):

Free Companies

The Immortals - Site
Server: Phoenix
GM: Nemeses
OcUK Guild: Yes
VoIP: Yes, Mumble.

White Wind
Server: Odin
GM: Will update the name later, but contact myself (IGN: Vanethyr Ashan), Greenboi (IGN: Din Dins), or Lithon (IGN: Lithon Thorlean) for an invite.
OcUK Guild: No, but several of us are currently part of it.
VoIP: Yes, Mumble.

Linkshells

Reserved - will be creating an OcUK Linkshell when I get home from work tonight (granted I can actually log in).

OcUK Members

Forum Handle - Server - In-game/Character Name

Crpwned - Cerberus - Rai Hext
Greenboi - Odin - Din Dins
Indie - Cerberus - Luna Luxotican
Lithon - Odin - Lithon Thorlean
Nimdok - Odin - Vanethyr Ashan

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is this still coming to the consoles ?

The party fight looked really good and the cinematics look amazing. Not to sure about the UI, it looked pretty clunky, not helped by the mouse clicker either.

I'd love this game to work this time, guess time will tell.

This is still confirmed for PS3 (beta schedule can be seen here). Yeah that mouse-clicking drove me nuts :p feels so wrong! From what I've seen the PS3 UI has the same look but it's a little more clustered together and layered (as seen here), and the menus are being designed to be like the PS3's XMB (linky).

Soldato
OP
I'm a legacy member and was in ARR alpha. I was also in the very first closed beta of the initial game years ago, so I have a lot of experience of the game throughout its troubled life.

ARR is an entirely different game to the original (and very bad) Final Fantasy XIV. They have completely redone everything and brought in a team led by Yoshi P who has done a tremendous job at transforming what was initially diabolical, to something that is very fun, accessible and combines strengths from both western and asian MMO's and from their flagship FFXI (which is my favourite MMO ever. I still play it now.) When his team came in, they inherited a game that was so bad, the very core of it was so limiting and badly designed- yet they made it work. At the end of its life it was a very fun game with lots of really good content and gameplay.

From what we were given during the alpha, I can say the game is extremely fun and entirely better in its small state than FFXIV was on its original release. They're already working on a beta client which from what I've read and seen so far (only a few screenies) it looks incredible. Redrawn maps, battle mechanics, quests, music, story, class stories, general quests, auction house, fluent UI, player housing, crafting etc. Everything has been changed completely or at the very least given a heavy make-over. Oh and Chocobo raising!

I'll get a first hand try at the new beta sometime around mid Feb. They do plan on having an open beta for both the PC and PS3 at a later date.

Oh! Also the mouse and keyboard works really well in ARR. It's the same format as other western MMO's. Controller wasn't enabled in alpha so I'm looking forward to beta.

Thanks for sharing :) At times I wish I'd stuck with FFXIV and FFXI, but I had been in quite a closely-knit guild for several years and I just couldn't get into the games while my friends were off playing other MMOs. Went back to FFXI recently and spent most of my time doing FoVs around the Konschtat Highlands and such, just isn't the same doing it solo :p For once I'm looking forward to every aspect of a "new" MMO, and I'm very happy to hear they're doing things right! Any idea how the cross-platform is going to work yet? I'd love to be able to just come home from work and boot up my PS3 to play the game, then resume that same character on my PC during weekends and such (like FFXI did with the 360).

Soldato
OP
I think it's far more likely to be a PS3 release at the moment, but I'd love to see it come out on the PS4 as well! Really hoping to get into the Beta but wouldn't mind if I only get into the console one as that's most likely what I'll spend most of my time on (unless of course I get my PC upgraded some time soon). I do wonder what will happen with games like DCUO, Defiance, and FFXIV when the PS4 comes out - would be nice to see them have their lifespan increased by being ported/re-released with the next-gen consoles.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I think if FFXIV is going to slip into a Q1 2014 (or even a Q4 2013) release then they'll have to look at the next gen. I'd like to get it on a console tbh, although I have a decent PC I'm just preferring my consoles these days, especially after being hooked on Ni No Kuni since last Friday :)

Keep us updated with news and if you get into Beta, I'd like to hear what it's like.

Hopefully they won't be too far along with development and not consider a PS4 release (though I don't know how hard or easy it would be for them to "port" it from PS3). Yeah it's just so much simpler after a long day at work to just lie back in the couch and get the game up and running with no faffing about :p My PC doesn't get much attention these days apart from the occasional MMO as I'm trying to keep up with all the exclusives and non-PC releases on console. Have been hooked on Ni no Kuni as well, such a fantastic game!

If I get into the Beta and the NDA gets lifted I'll be sure to keep this thread updated more :) as it stands I'm just updating the OP whenever Squenix releases more news, screenshots, videos, etc. so would love to be able to post my own stuff sometime.

Soldato
OP
Was looking at the pre-order sections of various sites to see if there are any good deals to be had, and spotted this on Zavvi:

ffxivx.png

I find it highly unlikely that this date is actually correct, but it might be an indication that there's a chance it'll happen this year (or at least earlier).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi All,

I played FFXI for 4/5 years from the EU release and it was a fantastic community. FFXIV initially from release was hard to get into, but I did keep coming back over time throughout all the patches to see the changes.

ARR is an amazing re-make and I don't want to say anything to break by NDA...

Regarding a Linkshell being created, I would love to be involved with a UK based community from day 1. As much as sometimes we love the Americans, there time-zone isn't great for those of us that work Monday to Friday.

A GMT UK based one is probably what we'd all be shouting out for?

Sean

Hey Sean,

I can respect your silence on the matter with the game being under NDA, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough when Squenix spill the beans :)

As for the Linkshell - a GMT UK based one would be preferable, which as you pointed out, is probably easiest for those of us who work and might not be up at the hours the Americans are. Unless someone on the forums already has one going that wouldn't mind taking us OcUKers in (like the Immortals for GW2), it'd be good to see how many here would be interested in forming an OcUK Linkshell to house any forumites.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to this,gonna get it on ps3,180 days sub for 10 euro is appealing.

That is very appealing indeed! Will definitely be picking up a bulkier sub this time around despite usually only paying for MMOs a month at a time in the past.

There seems to be a lot of hostility towards this game and its subscription fee from looking at the comment sections of places like the PS Blog. I'm baffled as to why people are pulling out their pitchforks just because you have to pay monthly to play an MMO which has been the way of doing things since they started. Is this due to console players these days not having much exposure to online games with subs (ones that missed the FFXI boat, or PSO, etc.)? Or are gamers really that self-entitled and spoiled because of the number of free-to-play games on the market? If the game's good enough, I honestly don't mind paying a monthly fee. I've been doing it for about 10 years (and I paid for some real sinkers over that time) and will continue doing so.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
From the beta roadmap it says "All FFXIV service account holders qualify as testers in phase 3." So i'd presume so! Phase 4 is an open beta I believe.

Excellent! Seriously can't wait to play it :D the cravings got to me in the end so I resubbed FFXI to tide me over in the meantime.

Soldato
OP
I'm looking for places to pre-order the collectors edition but can only find the digital download.

I'd prefer to get the physical version because my internet connection isn't the fastest and the beta download was about 9GB, took forever! Hah.

I was tempted to start up FFXI again but I haven't played in over 3 years and I wouldn't know where to start! Think I quit just before the level cap was raised.

I've been making my usual rounds on sites like Amazon, Zavvi, Shopto, etc. looking for the CE, and so far Zavvi's the only one I've found with the physical Collector's Edition. Since I already own a hard-copy of the game on PC I'm gonna go with the PS3 version this time.

Anyhoo, links to PC CE and PS3 CE here.

I never made it very far in FFXI, but thought more people would be joining with the recent launch of Seekers of Adoulin and figured it'd be as good a time as any to jump back in!

Soldato
OP
I want that collectors edition!!

I never got into these types of games though so I think it might be a bit wasted on me :(

It is a lovely looking CE :) hope we get a little more than stock photos soon, want to see that boxart (and contents of course) in all its glory. There'll no doubt be a trial of sorts before long, you never know, you might get along better with this MMO than others.

Soldato
OP
Beta phase 3 confirmed for 14th June. PS3 testing also begins in this phase.

Not a full NDA lift though according to the updated roadmap so will have to see what we can talk about.

Thanks for that :) had heard the third Beta phase was due for June, but not the exact date - will update the OP now.

Soldato
OP
No problem,

If your thinking of starting a free company when it goes live let me know which server, unless you rolling legacy in which case :(

I considered playing my 1.0 char but would rather start a fresh.

I'll be starting a fresh character at launch too - it'll feel like a new game so I want a new character along with it :p

Currently have no server plans due to all my friends not budging from GW2/WoW, but I'd be interested in starting a guild open to all OcUKers on both platforms (and other people naturally). Is anyone leaning towards a server in particular at the moment? If other people are interested we could see which server suits everyone the best and start it there.

Back
Top Bottom