Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn

Associate
allthough im really enjoying secret world atm, not sure how much life is left in it for me as im running out of content, however i was a long time ffxi player, the only other mmo ive really enjoyed so really lookng forward to this also.

and lol how similar isthat first video to the original ffxi opening movie!

Associate
Oh! Also the mouse and keyboard works really well in ARR. It's the same format as other western MMO's. Controller wasn't enabled in alpha so I'm looking forward to beta.

i take it like the original ffxi and other console based 3rd person action games, pressing the down key results in turning your character 360 degrees? (instead of moving backward) hence making keyboard turning not an issue otherwise playing with a controller on the ps3 would be severe disadvantage!!

Soldato
i take it like the original ffxi and other console based 3rd person action games, pressing the down key results in turning your character 360 degrees? (instead of moving backward) hence making keyboard turning not an issue otherwise playing with a controller on the ps3 would be severe disadvantage!!
Trying to remember clearly but I'm pretty sure pressing the down key (S) resulted in back peddling. Q and E were strafing keys, which took me a few hours to fully get used to. It was very similar to WoW from what I remember.

Associate
Really looking forward to this. I also played FFXI for many years and have some really fond memories, sounds weird... but stuff I will never forget.

I played FFXIV in its original Beta, and bought it at release despite not really enjoying the beta too much, I soon gave up on it. Been back to FFXI on and off over the years, but it seems a much more solitary experience now, and FFXI was always about the community.

This was one of the reasons I decided to start my new build. I could have just picked up a PS3 again, but it seemed pointless with the new consoles around the corner, and my PC really needed an upgrade.

Didn't have a massive budget, so went with an i5 3570k, 7870 2GB and 8gb Ram, among all the other bits obviously. Hopefully I'll be able to run it in close to all its glory ^_^

Soldato
Really looking forward to this. I also played FFXI for many years and have some really fond memories, sounds weird... but stuff I will never forget.

I played FFXIV in its original Beta, and bought it at release despite not really enjoying the beta too much, I soon gave up on it. Been back to FFXI on and off over the years, but it seems a much more solitary experience now, and FFXI was always about the community.

This was one of the reasons I decided to start my new build. I could have just picked up a PS3 again, but it seemed pointless with the new consoles around the corner, and my PC really needed an upgrade.

Didn't have a massive budget, so went with an i5 3570k, 7870 2GB and 8gb Ram, among all the other bits obviously. Hopefully I'll be able to run it in close to all its glory ^_^
If the final game runs anything like the alpha did, then you shouldn't have a problem. We have very similar specs and the only game affecting slowdown I had was when Yoshi P made an appearance in the centre of the city (mass crowds.)

Associate
If the final game runs anything like the alpha did, then you shouldn't have a problem. We have very similar specs and the only game affecting slowdown I had was when Yoshi P made an appearance in the centre of the city (mass crowds.)

Good news :D Was looking at the recommended specs and it said the GPU was a 7970 :eek: lol.

Hopefully will have plucked the courage up to try and overclock my CPU by the time it's out. Really have no idea what I'm doing lol.

I was almost going to play FFXI again the other day, was on the log in screen heading to Square Enix account management to pay £8.99, but managed to talk myself out of it. I always get bored really quickly cause all my friends are long gone :(

Can't wait to start fresh on this, does it feel more like FFXI did in its hayday? Original FFXIV felt like such a departure, which was weird considering how successful XI is compared to other paid MMO's nowadays.

Soldato
Yeah FFXI isn't worth getting into now. With Field books, Ground Tomes and Abyssea the game is no longer party focussed. I still play every Friday night with a group of friends. We basically run through the missions and quests that we never did, apart from that I've lost all motivation to log on. I'm hoping the new expansion will bring back something of the old days because there is a fantastic game beneath the solo/low-man changing crap they introduced over the last few years (I'm looking at you Abyssea.) My advice is to hold off and see what the new expansion is like before restarting. ;)

As for ARR. I wouldn't say ARR felt like FFXI in its heyday, thats not to say they're dissimilar, more that there's a definite evolution that's happened. Infact there were a few people complaining that ARR was too much like FFXI on the alpha forum. A trend I saw here was that more often than not these people wanted the game to be either completely different than every MMO on the market, or another WoW copy/paste. IMO I don't think these people actually played FFXI past level 10. Can you imagine playing WoW for years and then trying out FFXI during the good days? It'd seem almost impossible to do anything. It's a completely different game focus.

The best description of ARR I could give you is that it's somewhere between end stage FFXIV and WOW with a ton of content that is very story driven, atmospheric and gorgeous to look at. I'm not sure if you played FFXIV 1.0 near the end of it's life, I'm betting most people here never, however it was nothing like the original "thing" that was released. It was actually fun to play, just very clumsy due to the game engine and the awful UI.

The problem is, and it's one of the reasons I'm very vocal (well, typeful :p) about this game here, is that due to the awful state FFXIV released in people only have that experience to go from. So everytime they see "FFXIV" written anywhere, they shudder. But over the years of continued development it's been blossoming into the FFXI substitute I've been hoping for. While it's not FFXI-2, and not ignoring the fact that I've only played the alpha and basing many of my experiences from end stage FFXIV content, FFXIV:ARR's predecessor has certainly had a big impact on it, and to me this is what separates it from WoW but makes it just as approachable to new generations of MMO players.

I want it to be a success so I'd like people to give it a chance instead of simply writing it off before hand.

Associate
Hi All,

I played FFXI for 4/5 years from the EU release and it was a fantastic community. FFXIV initially from release was hard to get into, but I did keep coming back over time throughout all the patches to see the changes.

ARR is an amazing re-make and I don't want to say anything to break by NDA...

Regarding a Linkshell being created, I would love to be involved with a UK based community from day 1. As much as sometimes we love the Americans, there time-zone isn't great for those of us that work Monday to Friday.

A GMT UK based one is probably what we'd all be shouting out for?

Sean

Soldato
OP
Hi All,

I played FFXI for 4/5 years from the EU release and it was a fantastic community. FFXIV initially from release was hard to get into, but I did keep coming back over time throughout all the patches to see the changes.

ARR is an amazing re-make and I don't want to say anything to break by NDA...

Regarding a Linkshell being created, I would love to be involved with a UK based community from day 1. As much as sometimes we love the Americans, there time-zone isn't great for those of us that work Monday to Friday.

A GMT UK based one is probably what we'd all be shouting out for?

Sean

Hey Sean,

I can respect your silence on the matter with the game being under NDA, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough when Squenix spill the beans :)

As for the Linkshell - a GMT UK based one would be preferable, which as you pointed out, is probably easiest for those of us who work and might not be up at the hours the Americans are. Unless someone on the forums already has one going that wouldn't mind taking us OcUKers in (like the Immortals for GW2), it'd be good to see how many here would be interested in forming an OcUK Linkshell to house any forumites.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to this,gonna get it on ps3,180 days sub for 10 euro is appealing.

That is very appealing indeed! Will definitely be picking up a bulkier sub this time around despite usually only paying for MMOs a month at a time in the past.

There seems to be a lot of hostility towards this game and its subscription fee from looking at the comment sections of places like the PS Blog. I'm baffled as to why people are pulling out their pitchforks just because you have to pay monthly to play an MMO which has been the way of doing things since they started. Is this due to console players these days not having much exposure to online games with subs (ones that missed the FFXI boat, or PSO, etc.)? Or are gamers really that self-entitled and spoiled because of the number of free-to-play games on the market? If the game's good enough, I honestly don't mind paying a monthly fee. I've been doing it for about 10 years (and I paid for some real sinkers over that time) and will continue doing so.

Last edited:
Associate
From the beta roadmap it says "All FFXIV service account holders qualify as testers in phase 3." So i'd presume so! Phase 4 is an open beta I believe.

Soldato
OP
From the beta roadmap it says "All FFXIV service account holders qualify as testers in phase 3." So i'd presume so! Phase 4 is an open beta I believe.

Excellent! Seriously can't wait to play it :D the cravings got to me in the end so I resubbed FFXI to tide me over in the meantime.

Associate
I'm looking for places to pre-order the collectors edition but can only find the digital download.

I'd prefer to get the physical version because my internet connection isn't the fastest and the beta download was about 9GB, took forever! Hah.

I was tempted to start up FFXI again but I haven't played in over 3 years and I wouldn't know where to start! Think I quit just before the level cap was raised.

Back
Top Bottom