Fiona Bruce

Soldato
Well you try and pass PCV bus driver qualification, it's not as easy as you'd think.

In this country at least "skill" equates to "academic qualification" if you don't have a piece of paper from a Uni to wave at someone you're worthless. Plumbers are considered low skilled by most people yet they earn more than most people lol.

A large gated housing community I used to know employed a full time gardener to look after the grounds he was qualified up to the eyeballs with academic qualifications could probably write a thesis on the theory of a tree but when it came to doing any practical work was as much use as a chocolate teapot they had to get a contractor in to do any real work as an when necessary he'd have been better employed working as a lecturer at a college somewhere. Qualifications 10/10 practical skills 0/10. Yet he got the job because of, well, you know.

Most of the anger seems to be at her calling carers low skilled. Which considering the training and skills required is pretty justifiable imo.

What that means is they're unqualified unlike state nurses who have to have a degree these days which would have been a better phrase as they likely have to do similar work physically. Slippage between academic qualification and practical skills, again.

Last edited:
Soldato
In this country at least "skill" equates to "academic qualification" if you don't have a piece of paper from a Uni to wave at someone you're worthless. Plumbers are considered low skilled by most people yet they earn more than most people lol.

Plumbing isn't low skilled work by any standard, it's skilled labour. You need professional certificates to do something like fitting a boiler, fixing a broken toilet doesn't make you a plumber.

Caporegime
Plumbers are considered low skilled by most people yet they earn more than most people lol.

People who purely do plumbing work I could see that as most of those jobs can be learnt and carried out by anyone remotely competent in DIY.

However, every "plumber" I know is qualified and certified to work with gas but rarely goes by the official 'heating engineer' title. Nobody I know considers these people to be low-skilled, nor should they as there can be pretty severe consequences if so!

Soldato
Oh i was hoping this would be how hot Fiona Bruce is with pics...

Disappointing thread,

Afraid you are going to do it the hard way.
Google Fiona Bruce pictures - The corset and whip is interesting and I didn't know she has done a few pin up pictures - She was and is fit.

Back to topic - I worked for a mate who had no qualifications but he owned a steel fabricating company and had every big engined sports car made - big house in sticks with a garage bigger than most peoples houses.
Next door to me at my old house was a used car dealer -He repaired body work and other bits and then cleaned sprayed and polished then - I doubt you wouldn't find another car on a dealers forecourt that looked so good -he made a lot of money sitting on his wall buying cars.
He was the most obnoxious person you could ever wish to meet - No qualifications except money sex and cars. Talking about sex he was disgusting.

Soldato
What that means is they're unqualified unlike state nurses who have to have a degree these days which would have been a better phrase as they likely have to do similar work physically.
They're not unqualified at all, they just have professional qualifications as opposed to academic (which in most lines of work are actually more useful anyway). Hence the anger at calling them "low skilled" when their job requires a high degree of training and an advanced skillset.

Plumbing isn't low skilled work by any standard, it's skilled labour. You need professional certificates to do something like fitting a boiler
While I agree with the context of what you were trying to say, you need to be a registered/certified gas engineer to install/commission a boiler, a regular plumber can't touch it (legally).

Back
Top Bottom