Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall - Now washing machines as well!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Got one of the £99 replacments today. Not a bad machine in the flesh and a good cheap upgrade to my 7 year old condenser it replaced.

Was originally concerned that the new one would not fit well, as the online info stated the depth was about 65cm when in fact its more like 55cm and fits spot on.

Got mine delivered on Monday. Seems like a nice enough machine. A vast improvement on my absolutely ruined idc75 anyway!

Soldato
Got one of the £99 replacments today. Not a bad machine in the flesh and a good cheap upgrade to my 7 year old condenser it replaced.

Was originally concerned that the new one would not fit well, as the online info stated the depth was about 65cm when in fact its more like 55cm and fits spot on.

Ordered the replacement as well.

For some reason earliest delivery is mid March (repair was going to be July).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The thing which strikes me having just received this replacement machine, and having repaired my outgoing idc75 many times, is just how utterly crap these machines really are.

The new one retails at something like £300, which seems madness for such a shoddy product. Everything is wafer thin, poor quality plastic, the fluff filter in the door jam opens in half for cleaning literally by just bending the wafer thin plastic back on itself rather than on any form of hinge, i can see it snapping in half in no time at all as soon as the plastic fatigues.

These crap products are really not worth the money people seem to pay for them :-/ Its merely "OK" at £99 i guess.

Soldato
The thing which strikes me having just received this replacement machine, and having repaired my outgoing idc75 many times, is just how utterly crap these machines really are.

The new one retails at something like £300, which seems madness for such a shoddy product. Everything is wafer thin, poor quality plastic, the fluff filter in the door jam opens in half for cleaning literally by just bending the wafer thin plastic back on itself rather than on any form of hinge, i can see it snapping in half in no time at all as soon as the plastic fatigues.

These crap products are really not worth the money people seem to pay for them :-/

Products in the past were relatively more expensive, but considerably better built.

My Mum had a Hoover keymatic that lasted into the early 90's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40HI12gbPI

Good design too. In many ways much easier to use than modern machines.

(Much easier on the back than either a front or a top loader)

Pity they dont make them like that any more! :(

Soldato
I have a "recalled" one that has been about a year they've done nothing since recalling it.

I also know at least 3 people that have had their kitchens taken out by tumble dryers in the last 10 years.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Products in the past were relatively more expensive, but considerably better built.

My Mum had a Hoover keymatic that lasted into the early 90's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40HI12gbPI

Good design too. In many ways much easier to use than modern machines.

(Much easier on the back than either a front or a top loader)

Pity they dont make them like that any more! :(

Ha, that thing definitely looks from another age. I can feel the weight of it from here :p

Soldato
Well the repair on my old TCR2 was finished today. The back, the bearing and the drum were replaced, just as the engineer said they would be. We have a new crinkly drum! He jokingly said the old drums make good planters for the garden and he's got quite a few already lol.

200,000 repairs done so far and the recall has generated ~5,000,000 calls according to the engineer!! Holy hell. He was also saying some people have been setting light to their dryers to claim compo and people are buying old machines just to get the upgrade/repair done. Unbelievable.

Man of Honour

These crap products are really not worth the money people seem to pay for them :-/ Its merely "OK" at £99 i guess.

When the Indesit Company (Creda/Hotpoint/Indesit/Ariston) was closing down in Stoke in 2007 the Polish factory was already building our products and sending samples back to us to do our Lab tests and we were shocked by the quality. Like you said, dangerously thin panels, cheap plastic and cheaper parts.

Soldato
i thought it was a step up from the icd75. It's not going to win any medals but seems quite functional, panels arent any thinner than my Bosch dishwisher etc. The filter is a better design (fluff caught on the inside rather than a the outside where it can go everywhere) but agree, the catch to release the filter isnt brilliant... I'm more worried about how the two sides of the filter hinge at the bottom though- they are only connected by the filter material and i can see that going. Still, I'm happy with it :)

Model is on the websiter now http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliance...oint-tdwsf-83b-ep-tumble-dryer-white/F100202/

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
i thought it was a step up from the icd75. It's not going to win any medals but seems quite functional, panels arent any thinner than my Bosch dishwisher etc. The filter is a better design (fluff caught on the inside rather than a the outside where it can go everywhere) but agree, the catch to release the filter isnt brilliant... I'm more worried about how the two sides of the filter hinge at the bottom though- they are only connected by the filter material and i can see that going. Still, I'm happy with it :)

Model is on the websiter now http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliance...oint-tdwsf-83b-ep-tumble-dryer-white/F100202/

The filter aides hinging is what I meant above, very poor and I can see it coming in half quite quickly. Years warranty though :)

Associate
I've just had ours in bits cleaning it out.

It's an Indesit IDVA 735 which we've had about 6 years. I noticed the filter wouldn't slot in properly and shone a torch down the gap and it was completely clogged with fluff. I hoovered it all out and took the back vent tube off to see if that was clogged and the entire bottom of the case had an inch thick layer of fluff.

The problem seems to be the filter is a loose fit so a certain amount of fluff gets past, then there is a black large bore pipe going from the filter moulding to the rear vent which is also loose so fluff gets to run wild inside, presumably reaching the heater eventually, and there's a helluva lot of fuel to burn.

I've cleaned it all out and modded the pipe so it's a tight fit so I'll probably get a roasting when the engineers do eventually turn up, but at least my house isn't going to burn down now.

Back
Top Bottom