Firefox too heavy?

V F

V F

Soldato
I've not found it any different to usual - its a bit of a pain though when sites have a lot of cross site references, etc. though :s

Especially sites for purchasing. Some redirect a lot finding new entries. Oh and that XSS is downright irritating.

Soldato
@mrk Might want to consider replacing Stylish, they changed owners and the new owner added tracking for some reason and opting out means you can't manage your styles within the extension: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major-stylish-add-on-changes-in-regards-to-privacy/

Stylus is an open source alternative and is FF57 ready: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/styl-us/

I only refresh my profile if I start cropping up with problems with Firefox, no need to create a new one and that usually solves my issues.

Soldato
Especially sites for purchasing. Some redirect a lot finding new entries. Oh and that XSS is downright irritating.

strategy I use
- several FF browser profiles (simultaneous sessions) some with very relaxed noscript options form which I access trusted purchase sites,
otherwise, yes, can find you cannot checkout, since something missing in whitelist eg. Halfords/curry's/M&S;
even for amazon usually black list amazaon-ssl-images which otherwise uses excessive resources.
some sites are so badly constructed so would not purchase from them , if they cannot hire good web designers product support must be equally bad (aliexpress is not good)
- some sites like forbes/tweaktown have become more clever and have to allow javascript from the site itself to get any usability (or use cached site)
- even when browsing OC forums, I use noscript(ABE) to block all the utube videos loading up.

Soldato
yes LLoyds bank for example - I log onto there online banking and they want to access marketing.lloydsbank.co.uk,
I had submitted a complaint - waste of time

William,
Hi, I think we were at cross-purposes during our phone call.

I had expected you to send me an alternative link for accessing the lloyds bank web-site where
your web 'code' was improved to prevent this problem.

I have updated to the latest noscript add-on, but this did not modify the error I see.
which occurs because the secure.lloydsbank.co.uk accesses marketing.lloydsbank.co.uk,
and the noscript mechanism will trap and stop this in its default configuration

I had not said but I do have a workaround which is to supply the following config to
noscript
[pictureof noscript config]

but my contention is that security on the site is reduced by having this reference,
Even with this workaround access to the web-site remains slow (which I think maybe
caused by the reference).
Also, as discussed other banks x/y/z do not have websites
with such problems, with data from multiple sites.

Could you send me the original email you had had from IT/security support... ?
what was their rationale to send a noscript web link ? maybe they also have a
response to my new comments above ?

Regards, Paul

Soldato
Stable version of 55 is on the FTP: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0/win64/

Means the update will roll out very soon. But you can just download it from the FTP server and install it. Can't really say anything on RAM usage however as I usually at most only have around 5 tabs open.

On the other hand I now noticed e10s is enabled on my SP4, previously it was disabled due to accessibility tools (main reason was touch screen). And it feels so much smoother to use with touch.

Also, once you upgrade to 55, you cannot downgrade Firefox to a previous version with the same profile, as they made changes incompatible with older versions: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/you-cannot-downgrade-firefox-55-profiles/

Once a profile has been used with Firefox 55 (or later), it should not be used with previous versions of Firefox. IndexedDB, the (DOM) Cache API, Service Workers, and the asm.js cache will all fail to operate, generating confusing errors and causing portions of Firefox and some websites to break. The profile can be made operable again in older versions of Firefox by using the profile "refresh" mechanism.

Soldato
Copy profile before a manual/automatic update, article does not seem to suggest that.
(also install new binary under a different path,
and change startup properties to something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox_49\firefox.exe" -P -no-remote to allow profile selection)

FF updates may(typically imhop) break add-ons so ensuring you can return is vital, until they fix your add-on, or you can find a replacement.

However FF trying to block installation of non-certified add-ons is becoming a pain.

Man of Honour
On my desktop it is allowing me to update to 55 through the normal browser mechanics - other devices not showing it available yet. Can't see any difference in RAM use but seems a good bit faster loading pages up.

Man of Honour
v55 is indeed verygood, I also tried out the latest Nightly and enabled Servo.

Personally, I noticed only a small difference with multiple tabs open s 55. It wasn't big enough to warrant using Nightly over 55 for now, especially considering one of my most used extensions (FireFTP) doesn't work in Nightly with or without Servo enabled.

I wonder if there is an alternative to it? The reason I prefer it over any other FTP client is how it can upload files to FTP, then create a http link to it using the correct path. Makes posting images and links on forums and emails super quick and easy without having to browse to the newly uploaded file to link to.

Associate
I don't know if this is fully relevant to your issue but I've found that the recent inclusion of "Game Mode" into Windows 10 caused me a lot of performance issues in Firefox.
Disabling Game Mode has pretty much fixed the issues for myself.

Soldato
v55 is indeed verygood
what are the highlights ? ui improvements, or, predominately mulit-threaded benefits.

(Currently using FF options, from earlier OC posts, for limiting javascript memory/image decoding, speculative page pre-fetch; but need to do a yearly review and see if there are new best practices.)

Soldato
OK thanks -
- already using a session manager add-on for bulk tab save / reload
- from image seems they still do not have native vertical option for live tabs (if you are landscape with >10 tabs - a must have)
but maybe the synced tabs can be bent to that use
The Firefox sidebar -- which can house bookmarks, history or synced tabs -- can now be placed on the right side of the program window by clicking the header at the top and choosing "Move Sidebar to Right."

Soldato
Does anybody use Ghostery with Firefox? I've noticed a slowdown in Firefox starting up, so disabled all my addons and enabled them one by one. The slowdown came back as soon as Ghostery was enabled. Yet, if I disabled Ghostery and left the rest of my addons enabled, there was no slowdown.

I've tried a fresh Firefox profile, even tried a fresh Firefox installation on a virtual machine. As soon as I added Ghostery to the fresh profile, the delay came back.

Anyway I'm seriously considering ditching Ghostery, especially after reading this: Ad-Blocker Ghostery Actually Helps Advertisers, If You "Support" It.

But what can I replace it with? uMatrix looks too complicated, so I'm siding with Privacy Badger at the moment. What else do people suggest?

Back
Top Bottom