Firefox too heavy?

Soldato
I have never used ghostery - a quick glance at reviews shows many people now have slow-downs, if it regularly accesses their database seems a risk/heavy to me. ?
I use 'just' noscript and 'google redirects fixer' that removes all google tracking.

Soldato
Hmm I have had slowdown and too using ghostery. Will check this out.
When you start Firefox, is there a small delay before it shows your homepage? My homepage is set to Google and I get this delay.

Don't uninstall Ghostery if you just want to test, but disable it in your add-ons and restart Firefox. That gave me an almost instant speed boost.

V F

V F

Soldato
It seems I needed a new profile and cleaned everything out. That and I had huge blanks in my contextual menu. Going back to 2012... Snappy.

Though, all my extensions are legacy.

Man of Honour
Have to say with 55.x and making sure its using 4 additional processes so far its a much improved experience - though if anything I'm seeing quite a bit more RAM usage (even taking into account the overhead of extra processes) but no more slowdowns with content heavy pages, much reduced instances of other slowdowns and much better performance and responsiveness on my portable devices.

Soldato
heresy - but is ff the best browser for lighter H.P. tablets, I use a atom(4 core z150)/1GB/touch for some light browsing and here edge works fine,
i think it naturally parks non-selected tabs too.

If using ff I would probably review the memory/java resources that my typical sites use and apply noscript more aggresively,
plus FF options to limit java & image(jpg) resources tabs/sites can take;
for web pages that autoload as you scroll down, I think these may just eat resources/pre-load up to the limits the browser imposes.

Man of Honour
heresy - but is ff the best browser for lighter H.P. tablets, I use a atom(4 core z150)/1GB/touch for some light browsing and here edge works fine,
i think it naturally parks non-selected tabs too.

If using ff I would probably review the memory/java resources that my typical sites use and apply noscript more aggresively,
plus FF options to limit java & image(jpg) resources tabs/sites can take;
for web pages that autoload as you scroll down, I think these may just eat resources/pre-load up to the limits the browser imposes.

Probably pushing it a bit on a 1GB tablet unless you browse like 1-2 sites at a time - on my 2GB quad core Atom tablets since 55 update and configuring it to use 4 processes properly its running great on them with multiple sites loaded but does take a fair whack of RAM.

V F

V F

Soldato
Refreshing Firefox does work wonders if it's not been done for a long time. I had some major hardware acceleration issues a while back which were fixed with a refresh.

I'd imagine the profile has been through a lot with all the years of revisions.

Associate
Does anybody use Ghostery with Firefox? I've noticed a slowdown in Firefox starting up, so disabled all my addons and enabled them one by one. The slowdown came back as soon as Ghostery was enabled. Yet, if I disabled Ghostery and left the rest of my addons enabled, there was no slowdown.

I've tried a fresh Firefox profile, even tried a fresh Firefox installation on a virtual machine. As soon as I added Ghostery to the fresh profile, the delay came back.

Anyway I'm seriously considering ditching Ghostery, especially after reading this: Ad-Blocker Ghostery Actually Helps Advertisers, If You "Support" It.

But what can I replace it with? uMatrix looks too complicated, so I'm siding with Privacy Badger at the moment. What else do people suggest?

I use uBlock Origin.

Stoner81.

Soldato
For those using Ghostery, I've received an update just a few minutes ago to v7.3.3.7. This seems to have completely fixed the slow Firefox startup when Ghostery was installed and enabled.

Soldato
Yup looks like Ghostery fixed it:

+ Fixes an issue where Ghostery displayed a blank panel if localStorage and indexedDB are disabled
+ Fixes slow startup in Firefox 55
+ Minor bug fixes

Also, uBlock Origin is now fully web extension, so is FF57 ready. That's another legacy addon off of my list :p. Still have a few more crucial addons that needs to be updated. I have yet to find one that can rehost images to Imgur...

Permabanned
The loss of Classic Theme Restorer will be devastating to me :(. The main thing is the tabs on top which I hate - I need them on bottom!

Soldato
Soldato
I thought this was an impressive piece of chrome functionality - with F12 you can access 'advanced' options and throttle the maximum download/upload rate for a tab
and see what it is up to
- If you use talktalk adsl and try and upload too fast they will throttle your download, so it is useful - no solution in firefox ?

36350404614_41906707df_o_d.jpg

Man of Honour
Are you sure its talktalk throttling? if you are uploading to saturation you risk flooding out acks of downstream data which reduces your down speeds especially with poor configuration. Not really had a need for that so not looked into it - I'm using the original BT modem which has built in upstream QoS which prevents any one application/connection using more than 90% upstream which mostly mitigates the behaviour.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom