First Big Bike

Associate
Wanted some opinions on recomendations for a first big bike...although not there yet (haven't got full licence), but am taking lessons. :)

I have decided that I prefer the naked/commuter style bikes, but am open minded. Don't fancy a sports bike though - position doesn't seem comfortable.

I would be looking at 600cc-700cc, and maximum 4 years old - but definately would like a fuel gauge :D

I am currently having lessons on a Kawasaki ER6n and must say love the bike, although am tempted to try something different.

What I am having difficulty understanding is the 2 cylinder/4 cylinder story and then the parallel/V-twin story - I understand what they are, but am not sure how different they ride :confused:

All in all, I like the ER6n because of its smooth throttle response, low-end to mid-end torque range.

A few bikes I have looked at include Kawasaki ER6n, Yamaha XJ6n, Suzuki Bandit, Honda Hornet, etc....Not the the Suzuki Gladius though, as nice as it is, no fuel gauge:mad:

Any thoughts?

Soldato
The ER6n is about as good as it gets for a first big bike. Really easy to ride and not too much power that'll scare the life out of you. If you want something a bit more fun then it has to be a Street Triple, they're lightweight, comfortable and loads of fun.

Soldato
GSX650F?

I've recently got one, i'm not a new rider but it suits a new rider definitely. Smooth to ride, easy to handle. Simple but fun.

Has a fuel gauge and good for commuting as it's nice and comfy with a riding position more upright than your normal sports bike, fairing takes a lot of the wind away as well.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...e-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-GSX650F-2007-current/

Do you have a budget in mind?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The ER6n is about as good as it gets for a first big bike. Really easy to ride and not too much power that'll scare the life out of you. If you want something a bit more fun then it has to be a Street Triple, they're lightweight, comfortable and loads of fun.

One problem with the Street Triple...the bug eyed lights! I think it makes the thing look damn ugly. Shame as the rest of it is nice!

Associate
OP
GSX650F?

I've recently got one, i'm not a new rider but it suits a new rider definitely. Smooth to ride, easy to handle. Simple but fun.

Has a fuel gauge and good for commuting as it's nice and comfy with a riding position more upright than your normal sports bike, fairing takes a lot of the wind away as well.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...e-Reviews/Suzuki/Suzuki-GSX650F-2007-current/

Do you have a budget in mind?

Haven't looked into this. Not sure of budget but I think maximum 4k

Caporegime
also depends on your age as insurance will have an affect on the bikes you pick

older you are and older the bike = cheaper with bikes/insurance

er6 is decent as is the Suzuki sv 650

twin means two pistons,four cylinder means four pistons

twins usually have more torque(low down grunt) four cylinders are smoother and are better at higher revs (rough explanation)

Associate
OP
also depends on your age as insurance will have an affect on the bikes you pick

older you are and older the bike = cheaper with bikes/insurance

er6 is decent as is the Suzuki sv 650

twin means two pistons,four cylinder means four pistons

twins usually have more torque(low down grunt) four cylinders are smoother and are better at higher revs (rough explanation)

Thanks for that. I do like the Hornet. Just not sure how different a 4 cylinder would be compared to the twin. I have taken to the ER6 and thats a twin. May have to test ride...as for age, I am 31 so no worries about being young and expensive!

Soldato
Thanks for that. I do like the Hornet. Just not sure how different a 4 cylinder would be compared to the twin. I have taken to the ER6 and thats a twin. May have to test ride...as for age, I am 31 so no worries about being young and expensive!

4 cylinder engines are smoother at lower RPM, you won't get the chain snatch that you have probably experienced on the ER6. However, they don't tend to have the immediate thrust available at lower RPM either. For instance on the CBR600RR I recently rode, you really needed to be over about 8000 RPM to extract any serious performance from it, and it red-lined at about 15,000 RPM compared to a twin which would be in the region of 10,000 RPM.

For this reason middleweight 4 cylinder bikes tend to be quite "buzzy" on motorways, leaving you feeling like you need an extra couple of gears, whereas a twin will be thudding along at a much lower RPM.

Associate
OP
4 cylinder engines are smoother at lower RPM, you won't get the chain snatch that you have probably experienced on the ER6. However, they don't tend to have the immediate thrust available at lower RPM either. For instance on the CBR600RR I recently rode, you really needed to be over about 8000 RPM to extract any serious performance from it, and it red-lined at about 15,000 RPM compared to a twin which would be in the region of 10,000 RPM.

For this reason middleweight 4 cylinder bikes tend to be quite "buzzy" on motorways, leaving you feeling like you need an extra couple of gears, whereas a twin will be thudding along at a much lower RPM.

Cool. Thanks for all the advice!

Caporegime
cbr600f built like a tank comfy riding position excellent for your first big bike/sports bike.

going to an inline 4 though you're going to notice that HUGE engine breaking the er6 has is a lot less but still there.

the cbrf is nice as unlike the rr it's pretty solid from around 6k rather than having to rev it u pto 8k+ like the rr or an r6.

oh but you'd have to get an older cbrf, the new ones (2007 onwards i think) are just a hornet with a fairing and suck in comparison :p

Last edited:
Caporegime

i larnt o nan er6n and had an er6 n fro mthe insurance after my bike got written off, tbh i found the cbr was much nicer off the line than the er6 despite being a 4 instead of a parallel twin. especially with a pillion, had to rev the er6 loads to get it off at a decent pace with the lady on the back, the cbr not a problem at all.

V twins are more torquey than the parallels iirc, so if you like that maybe an sv650.

Caporegime
get a decent second hand machine imo,one that your not bothered about if you drop it or god forbid crash it ect,chances are you will being your first big machine

don't worry about fuel gauges either aslong as there's a reserve tap your fine;)

decent zx6r,r6,cbr 600 or Suzuki gsxr imo (late 90's to early/mid 2000)

Soldato
As you like the ER6n have a think about the Kawasaki Versys. Same engine, tuned differently, a lot of the same parts but an upright seating position, taller seat height, and geared more for the touring side of riding.

It's a great bike.

Oh and it's got a fuel guage.

Associate
OP
cbr600f built like a tank comfy riding position excellent for your first big bike/sports bike.

going to an inline 4 though you're going to notice that HUGE engine breaking the er6 has is a lot less but still there.

the cbrf is nice as unlike the rr it's pretty solid from around 6k rather than having to rev it u pto 8k+ like the rr or an r6.

oh but you'd have to get an older cbrf, the new ones (2007 onwards i think) are just a hornet with a fairing and suck in comparison :p

Looks good, awsome reviews, but I think I would prefer naked. Not sure if its wise, but I like feeling of the wind :D

Associate
OP
As you like the ER6n have a think about the Kawasaki Versys. Same engine, tuned differently, a lot of the same parts but an upright seating position, taller seat height, and geared more for the touring side of riding.

It's a great bike.

Oh and it's got a fuel guage.

I have looked into the Versys, and if I had the choice between the two I think I would go for the ER6. Am average height myself (5'8")

Back
Top Bottom