First Big Bike

Associate
Great thread, I'm looking to a DAS in the near future (CBT is booked) and will have the same decision to make though I think I'll be going for a full fairing as I do a lot of motorway driving.

"woah, she has no business in shorts!"
"pardon?"
This just made me laugh out loud! I'm gonna have to learn to keep my opinions to myself!

Associate
OP
Great thread, I'm looking to a DAS in the near future (CBT is booked) and will have the same decision to make though I think I'll be going for a full fairing as I do a lot of motorway driving.

Good luck! Am hoping to get full licence shortly...fingers crossed!

Caporegime

This just made me laugh out loud! I'm gonna have to learn to keep my opinions to myself!

cbr6 :p

Associate
OP
Would anyone recommend a 700cc-800cc?

The jump from a 125cc to a 650cc wasn't as daunting. But for some reason from 650cc to 800cc seems terrifying!

Again, still the naked style

Soldato
It's not always about the size of the engine.

I went from a KH125 to a full-on CBR400RR, scared the **** out of me when i opened it up.

It does depend on what the bike is.

Soldato

The jump from a 125cc to a 650cc wasn't as daunting. But for some reason from 650cc to 800cc seems terrifying!

Don't worry about the engine CC. If you're looking for speed then you'll need to take the bhp (or kW these days - use this chart - http://www.aqua-calc.com/convert/power/kilowatt-to-horsepower) and torque into consideration rather than the cc.

I ride a 865cc bike but I bet more than 80% of guys/gals on this forum have a faster bike than mine :)

Associate
OP
Don't worry about the engine CC. If you're looking for speed then you'll need to take the bhp (or kW these days - use this chart - http://www.aqua-calc.com/convert/power/kilowatt-to-horsepower) and torque into consideration rather than the cc.

I ride a 865cc bike but I bet more than 80% of guys/gals on this forum have a faster bike than mine :)

To be honest its not really about speed...I just think that the 700-800cc naked bikes look better:D

If there was a 700-800cc that was nice and managelable then I would definately consider it. Saying that I am not too keen on the Honda NC700. I think it is a good looking bike, but was really surprised at the low red line range - again its not for speed, but going by the little experience I have on big bikes, taking the ER6n into a corner at 6000-7000 rpm on a country lane in second gear seems to improve stability due to th amount of torque/engine breaking you have.

Soldato
My first big bike was a 2003 Hornet. It was a bit of an animal to be honest, and could get a new rider into trouble. I have read really good things about modern Hornets though, but my father had a really bad accident on my 2003 model, and I thought buying a modern one was perhaps tempting fate a little too much.

My brother had a 2003 FZS fazer 600, and for a 1st big bike they are great. Trouble is they are 10 years old now, and being Yamaha, the metals dont age well. If you can find a clean example though - they are cheap, great tank range, awesome linear power delivery and they handle pretty well too. They are deceptively quick if you know how to ride one. Real hard riding starts to show the limitations of the chassis, but to be fair, as a new rider I doubt you would be riding that hard to start off with anyway. The new Fazers are all top end, you have to wring their necks and do a lot of gear changing unfortunately. Way to kill a legend Yamaha!! (Still haven't forgiven you!) :(

I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 - cracking bike, sounded awesome and performed well up to a ton. Bags of power, pulled like a train but could handle corners too. Was a little top heavy, but once you got used to it, you could make it fly. Only downside was a small tank. I loved that bike though, and it has to be one of my favourites.

I currently ride a 2010 ER6F which I have barely ridden ( and which I am probably going to sell). It is pretty dosile to be honest and the chassis precludes any kind of hard riding. That said, as a first bike I imagine it would be ideal. All day comfortable, fairly quick, reliable engine, fairly good tank range and fairly cheap to insure. I just find it a bit boring having ridden faster and more agile bikes before, but for a new rider I reckon it would be a good choice. I did a trip to Spain on mine and it performed very well to be fair. Cant fault it as a bike - it just does not have the kind of go that I like.

The old CBR600F's were stonking bikes, but perhaps a bit too much for a new rider. I have no idea what the new ones are like but if they follow on the heritage of the originals, it will be a corker. You are probably likely to get yourself into more trouble on one though :p

You might want to consider something like BMW F800ST too, depending on your budget.

There are loads of great bikes out there, so I would go and try a few for size. Sit on them, test ride them when you can. Read up on reviews, ownership costs and what they are like to live with.

I also like naked bikes (although I appreciate fairing too!). High speeds on a naked are hoot, and you soon develop the naked 'body position' when riding. Generally it is arms aching, head and neck straining forward, a hurricane inside your helmet and a big stupid grin on your face!! :D

Associate
OP
My first big bike was a 2003 Hornet. It was a bit of an animal to be honest, and could get a new rider into trouble. I have read really good things about modern Hornets though, but my father had a really bad accident on my 2003 model, and I thought buying a modern one was perhaps tempting fate a little too much.

My brother had a 2003 FZS fazer 600, and for a 1st big bike they are great. Trouble is they are 10 years old now, and being Yamaha, the metals dont age well. If you can find a clean example though - they are cheap, great tank range, awesome linear power delivery and they handle pretty well too. They are deceptively quick if you know how to ride one. Real hard riding starts to show the limitations of the chassis, but to be fair, as a new rider I doubt you would be riding that hard to start off with anyway. The new Fazers are all top end, you have to wring their necks and do a lot of gear changing unfortunately. Way to kill a legend Yamaha!! (Still haven't forgiven you!) :(

I had an Aprilia Shiver 750 - cracking bike, sounded awesome and performed well up to a ton. Bags of power, pulled like a train but could handle corners too. Was a little top heavy, but once you got used to it, you could make it fly. Only downside was a small tank. I loved that bike though, and it has to be one of my favourites.

I currently ride a 2010 ER6F which I have barely ridden ( and which I am probably going to sell). It is pretty dosile to be honest and the chassis precludes any kind of hard riding. That said, as a first bike I imagine it would be ideal. All day comfortable, fairly quick, reliable engine, fairly good tank range and fairly cheap to insure. I just find it a bit boring having ridden faster and more agile bikes before, but for a new rider I reckon it would be a good choice. I did a trip to Spain on mine and it performed very well to be fair. Cant fault it as a bike - it just does not have the kind of go that I like.

The old CBR600F's were stonking bikes, but perhaps a bit too much for a new rider. I have no idea what the new ones are like but if they follow on the heritage of the originals, it will be a corker. You are probably likely to get yourself into more trouble on one though :p

You might want to consider something like BMW F800ST too, depending on your budget.

There are loads of great bikes out there, so I would go and try a few for size. Sit on them, test ride them when you can. Read up on reviews, ownership costs and what they are like to live with.

I also like naked bikes (although I appreciate fairing too!). High speeds on a naked are hoot, and you soon develop the naked 'body position' when riding. Generally it is arms aching, head and neck straining forward, a hurricane inside your helmet and a big stupid grin on your face!! :D

Brilliant, thanks for all the advice. I do like the BMW's, very good bikes, god at what they do...not sure about the adventurer style though. Seems a bit tall and I'm only 5'8"

Associate
I can vouch for the older CBR600 F's as I have the FY which is a 2000 model.

Comfortable for long rides and has good pull up to 8k rpm, after that it can feel like an animal but yet helps you stay composed. (well to a degree). Tank range can be upto 150 to 160 miles if ridden carefully or it can drop to 100 miles if ridden hard. Fully adjustable suspension all round and the ram air sounds good when its sucking harder than a lass form the playboy mansion lol.

Would I say it is a good first big bike?... Yes but as said it can easily get you into trouble if you are not careful.

Ps the adventure style bikes can have lower seats fitted and are generally not too high. I sat on a F800GS with stock seat and found it to be fine. (same height as you)

Associate

Brilliant, thanks for all the advice. I do like the BMW's, very good bikes, god at what they do...not sure about the adventurer style though. Seems a bit tall and I'm only 5'8"

I had an F800ST for about 3 years. I got that after a 2 year break (SV650 before). It was pretty confidence inspiring as I recall, engine braking, nice amount of torque so I could be lazy. As Freeman says, CC on its own tells you little. a CBR600RR is much more mental than an F800ST :).

Now I have a K1300S, over twice the power of the F800ST, and I suppose it's rather less suited to a new rider! But the bigger displacement gives you more power over a greater rev range - yeah? Yeah. That's what I enjoy.

Sorry I'm rambling! The BMW 800cc twin! Up until 08 or 09 they had piston slap issues and engine case corrosion and a few other things that annoyed the hell out of me. When mine apparently came down with the slappy-slap, BMW didn't much care to help.

So yeah, if you were to look at an F800 of any denomination go for 09 onward to be safe. The newer engines sound a lot less like tractors too, so I'm told.

K bye.

Caporegime

just remember the er6n while a 650 is only like 70ish hp, most 600 sports bikes are 100hp+

Associate
OP
just remember the er6n while a 650 is only like 70ish hp, most 600 sports bikes are 100hp+

I thought it was around 85bhp...but still 70 in second still seems like warp speed for a noob like me:rolleyes:

I just want something managable and fun;)

Associate
Some will say you will get bored of the likes of the Er6 or Xj6 being less than 80bhp but it depands on your level of confidence and how much you can control that confidence.

A skilled rider can push an Er6 to its limits but have huge amounts of fun where as an unskilled rider on the likes of a 1000cc sports bike will be shown up by a skilled rider.

I made the mistake of going from a Bandit 650 to an 1100 muscle bike and quickly realised that I should not have done it. 3 months on the muscle bike I got the CBR600F which has been a peach for the year I have had it.

Associate
OP
Some will say you will get bored of the likes of the Er6 or Xj6 being less than 80bhp but it depands on your level of confidence and how much you can control that confidence.

A skilled rider can push an Er6 to its limits but have huge amounts of fun where as an unskilled rider on the likes of a 1000cc sports bike will be shown up by a skilled rider.

I made the mistake of going from a Bandit 650 to an 1100 muscle bike and quickly realised that I should not have done it. 3 months on the muscle bike I got the CBR600F which has been a peach for the year I have had it.

Yea. I hear what your saying. It takes me a whilr to get bored of things. For example I have a renault clio 1.2 which I have had for 10 years...still not bored of it!

Back
Top Bottom