First Big Bike

Caporegime
Looks good, awsome reviews, but I think I would prefer naked. Not sure if its wise, but I like feeling of the wind :D

you still feel the wind....just you have to be going at 140+ :D

btw once you're no longer just on lessons, naked bikes at motorway speeds are horrible, i had the er6n for about a month, and it was grim at anything above 80. but poutting your feet o nthe passenger pegs and basialy lying down o nthe bike made it tolerable :p

Associate
OP
you still feel the wind....just you have to be going at 140+ :D

btw once you're no longer just on lessons, naked bikes at motorway speeds are horrible, i had the er6n for about a month, and it was grim at anything above 80. but poutting your feet o nthe passenger pegs and basialy lying down o nthe bike made it tolerable :p

It does have its positives. Bearing in mind though, really I see myself as a fair weather rider and for motorways most likely be cars.

Saying that the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion looks good, and I think looks better than the Diversion F :)

Soldato
What about a Honda Hornet?

Currently own a Hornet and it's my 1st big bike. It's really great for confidence building as I went straight from nothing>DAS>Hornet. It feels lighter to me than the ER6n (I learned on one too :D ) and has about as much power off the line maybe a little more. I didn't have a lot of confidence when I first got it but it's just so easy to ride you can't help but feel good on it.

Downsides to the Hornet are tank size, economy and no fuel gauge ( 2002 model). I get 100 - 110 miles from a tank before I need reserve/refuel. That's today, when I first got the bike I remember getting as high as 125 before I bottled it and went to refuel. Like I said, confidence building :p

Associate
OP
;)
Currently own a Hornet and it's my 1st big bike. It's really great for confidence building as I went straight from nothing>DAS>Hornet. It feels lighter to me than the ER6n (I learned on one too :D ) and has about as much power off the line maybe a little more. I didn't have a lot of confidence when I first got it but it's just so easy to ride you can't help but feel good on it.

Downsides to the Hornet are tank size, economy and no fuel gauge ( 2002 model). I get 100 - 110 miles from a tank before I need reserve/refuel. That's today, when I first got the bike I remember getting as high as 125 before I bottled it and went to refuel. Like I said, confidence building :p

Ok. Looking at a newer Hornet I am guessing that the fuel economy should be better? I do like the look of them like I say and have heard about the confidence inspiring ride. I just want to enjoy mysel to be honest and enjoy biking...not really looking for speed (top end anyway), prefer lowend off the line stuff. Possible choice then - only reason I would prefer a newer one is the fuel gauge

Associate
OP
Another question, if anyone can asnwer, when going for a second hand bike, what sort of milage maximum should I be looking at? Not quite sure what is classed as high milage on a motorbike.

Associate
If it's been looked after then milage shouldn't really be an issue. I know people that wouldn't touch a bike with over 20k on it, but then again i had 2 cb's with over 60k each and im currently on a hornet thats at 50k. I've even seen a cbr with over 200k and still going strong.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with a naked bike not every one wants to go 4 million mph and I stay away from motor ways as much as possible.

And are just as much fun.

Associate
OP
If it's been looked after then milage shouldn't really be an issue. I know people that wouldn't touch a bike with over 20k on it, but then again i had 2 cb's with over 60k each and im currently on a hornet thats at 50k. I've even seen a cbr with over 200k and still going strong.

Wow!:eek:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
naked bikes at motorway speeds are horrible, i had the er6n for about a month, and it was grim at anything above 80. but poutting your feet o nthe passenger pegs and basialy lying down o nthe bike made it tolerable :p

pffffft light weight :p

Having ridden naked bikes for decades i can tell you right now you get used to it, triple figure speeds don't faze me in the slightest, granted i have the neck muscles of a bull. :D

Caporegime
pffffft light weight :p

Having ridden naked bikes for decades i can tell you right now you get used to it, triple figure speeds don't faze me in the slightest, granted i have the neck muscles of a bull. :D

Hey just cause it was unpleasant doesn't mean I didn't do it :p motorway cruising speed was the max 120 the little er6 could do lol.

Associate
I'd like to try the naked of my bike at the same speeds and see how different it is. If it was so terrible I'm sure a 175hp naked bike wouldn't exist :p.

EDIT: Not that it's all about top-end!

Caporegime
And there I am thinking 70 is fast!

as soon as you get your own bike rather than on lessons your perception of speed changes worryingly quickly :p

Oh and you'll want to start practicing your maniacal laugh, trust me you'll be using it a lot inside your helmet during your first few weeks....months....well forever really.

Associate
OP
as soon as you get your own bike rather than on lessons your perception of speed changes worryingly quickly :p

Oh and you'll want to start practicing your maniacal laugh, trust me you'll be using it a lot inside your helmet during your first few weeks....months....well forever really.

Will start practicing now :o

Associate
Will start practicing now :o

Though try to remember that when engaging in such delights at the lights, the people crossing the road in front of you can hear you, as you jabber away incoherently!

I often forget this.

"woah, she has no business in shorts!"
"pardon?"
etc.

Associate
OP
Though try to remember that when engaging in such delights at the lights, the people crossing the road in front of you can hear you, as you jabber away incoherently!

I often forget this.

"woah, she has no business in shorts!"
"pardon?"
etc.

It doesn't matter as with the helmet we all look the same!

Back
Top Bottom