Have narrowed it down to two options:

Honda VFR800F - 5th Gen
Year: 2000

Built like tanks

Suzuki SV650S
Year 2001

Same price.

Head says SV650S, heart says VFR.

I know the VFR is a heavy thing, does not bother me.

Checked insurance, can get both for about the same, just a little more for the VFR.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Soldato
What is it like for Motorway miles?

Compared to the other bikes I've rode on the motorway (cbr600rr, street triple, gsxr) it was actually alright, as its not completely leaning forward on your wrists like the sports bikes and compared to the triumph the SV has wind protection which was a bonus, I used to do Swindon to Bristol every day and then a few BSB rounds during the year with the missus as pillion

Soldato
Had a T reg 650S as a second bike for a while, alongside the 765 RS - it felt like a luxo-barge by comparison, but was a decent little bike, felt great on the back roads and alright on the M4 - more of a sporty position than a naked; but by no means uncomfortable.

Soldato
Apologies as I don’t know your budget, but a Z1000 or for giggles and (all round nutter of a bike) a Tuono fighter?
Edit
Ignore the tuono, as a first big bike it may be too unpredictable and mental (insanely good fun though).

Last edited:
Soldato
Have got eyes on (well a bit more than that as deposit paid!) a Trident 660. Really hope it lasts me a few years before i start pining for something more. The lack of cruise control is already making me a bit anxious and making me think an XSR900 would have been a better bet but hey ho.... £££

Soldato
Don't know if you've considered cost of ownership or if it factors into your decision making but the SV will be cheaper to run, maintain and repair. If you're at all heavy with your right wrist or prone to wanting to ride flat out the SV would also be the better choice as the VFR will get to silly speeds quite quickly.

Soldato
OP
Don't know if you've considered cost of ownership or if it factors into your decision making but the SV will be cheaper to run, maintain and repair. If you're at all heavy with your right wrist or prone to wanting to ride flat out the SV would also be the better choice as the VFR will get to silly speeds quite quickly.
Solid advice.

My clutch control was good when learning, although prone to revving too high while learning on the MT07 once or twice, quickly learned the clutch controlled my speed, not the throttle.

I am swinging towards a VFR or a second gen CBF1000 I think.

People say the CBF is boring but coming from a 125, I doubt it.

Soldato
I think what they mean is that it lacks character, I think some Hondas do everything well but just lack something that gives them a sense of excitement. I had a 2001 fireblade that fell into that category it just seemed bland somehow even though it had all the performance and handling you could want, possibly that could have been fixed by an aftermarket end can just to make it more engaging.

Soldato
^
This
I had a RR5 blade, and it was ballistically fast, handled superbly and stopped on a dime..
but damn it was utterly soulless, like really dull.
I chopped it in not long after a bought a ZX10R C1H and the difference was night and day.

Associate
Solid advice.

My clutch control was good when learning, although prone to revving too high while learning on the MT07 once or twice, quickly learned the clutch controlled my speed, not the throttle.

I am swinging towards a VFR or a second gen CBF1000 I think.

Yeah personally I'd go with something like the bigger CBR rather than these two. My old man had a sv650 and just thought it was a bit meh. Saying that he had it for years and only traded it in for his lotus Elise as you can't fall out/off it.

Soldato
I had an Sv650s for my first big bike, I'd happily go out tomorrow and buy another one, never had any issues with it, very comfortable, great power for a 650 twin and sounds beefy with the right can on..
Same experience here, mine was a 2000 model. Fantastic bikes.

Seeing as you've learned on the MT07, they're a similar class of bike (albeit the MT07 is more modern) so you'll be familiar with the twin power delivery and overall power output. Quite torquey mid0range and well suited to road riding.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the input.

Have decided on the CBF1000, I think.

I had my heart set on the VFR and as much as I would like one, without spending a fortune on bars, the riding position is not what I am looking for, I want to be comfy and I feel at 6ft2", it would be rather "cramped". At 44, I wish I had started earlier but going "sporty" now would do me no favours in the comfy department.

Adventure bikes look fun. There is a BMW F650GS which looks fun but not sure what they are like.

Never knew passing my test would make choosing a bike soo much fun - lol

Last edited:
Associate
I'm presuming you haven't test ridden any of these yet? I'd suggest riding a few bikes before deciding on a make / model to buy.

The VFR's are a more sporty riding position, but with a wide tank, and decent seat I find my VFR more comfortable than other bikes I've tried, also more fun than some of the bigger bikes. Grip the tank with legs, no weight on wrists, and it's capable if you want to throw it round the twisties to have a bit of fun on. I've had my old 750 for years and still can't part with it, having replaced it's stable mate several times trying to find something else, as an all round work horse I love the VFR.

As for suggestions for another bike, I have an '08 FZ1S, and whilst it's pretty quick, it's dull as dishwater to ride. Bores the heck out of me, so the VFR still sees more use. For legal-ish fun, naked twins are good. I miss my KTM Superduke 990R, it was hilariously naughty, only 112BHP at the wheel but light, narrow, it was like a 125 on steroids.
Terrible as an all round motorcycle though, and not fun in the colder months.

Kawasaki ZZR's are similar to the VFR, the 600 is quite good fun, though I didn't find the handling as good as the VFR.

Kawasaki Z1000's are a giggle, might be too much for your first big bike though, and depending what sort of riding you will do, a naked / semi naked can be miserable in the winter, I find myself staying significantly drier on something fully faired, and also warmer.

Work out what you want from the bike, and do some test rides first, before narrowing down what you want, then get 2, 3, or even 4 bikes. Because 1 is never enough :D

Back
Top Bottom